Thursday, August 23, 2012

Going Green, WI

Our heat seems to have abated, but I still have to get up fairly early a couple days a week to get my run in before the grandkids arrive at 7:20.  This beautiful sunrise over the Potomac River is just one of the rewards of my early morning run.  I also enjoy the fresh cool scents that are more evident at that hour. Joe Pye Weed and Sweet Autumn Clematis were especially evident on my last run.  There is also a select community of early morning exercisers who nod or wave to one another in acknowledgement of our dedication and commitment.  I look forward to greeting the blond woman who looks about my age and is always coming from the opposite direction as I am finishing my run.  She's always out there, is in fantastic shape, and is an inspiration to me.  I usually run in the morning and bike in the afternoon or evenings.  DH and I have loved riding together after dinner this summer.  We're planning a short "Bike Holiday" weekend next weekend.  Thinking about going back to Maryland's Eastern Shore and doing a few of the great bike routes in Tablot County.  We've done two of them before but are excited about exploring a little more.  I love that this coastal county is pretty flat!  I'm getting better at hills, but they sap a lot of my energy on a long ride.


Going green?  Well, you know I like my charts.  This chart shows my weight loss for 2012.  That nice downward slope shows the trend of my loss well.  As you can see, I've lost an average of just about one pound every week for the first 34 weeks of this year.  There are obviously some pink spikes, where my daily weight went up, the last being when we were up in Canada (s'mores!) but you can see I've managed to get back to losing each time.  
At my WI on Wednesday, I lost 2.4 pounds!  I am in that new decade, now, and just over 15 pounds from my goal weight.  I also weighed less than I have since 2008.  All this means, of course, that I'm spending a lot of time in my closet.  I love trying on cute clothes that have been waiting patiently for me to trim down.  My 12P jeans that I reclaimed last month are getting roomy and the 10P are already on my shelf.  I've culled out a couple bags full that are now definitely too big and that I'm not going to wear again. Ever.  In the past, despite good advice, I've always saved some of my favorite "big clothes," just in case.  Not this time.  They're out of here.  Clothes shopping is fun again, too.  Cute, normal sized clothes from the "regular" section of the store fit.  I'm not buying much, because I'm going to lose more and because I have all those "old-new" clothes that fit again.  But I'm really loving the ability to "reject" anything that I try on, not because it's too tight, but because it's not exactly what I want!  

DH and I are having fun going through Rosetta Stone French lessons.  We're planning a 2 week trip to France in October. We're going to spend a few days in Paris and then rent a car and drive to places we want to go--Bayeux, Normandy, the chateaux country along the Loire, the Perigord region, Lascaux, and Bordeaux.   I used to be reasonably fluent in French, but living in Italy for three years pushed my French abilities out of my brain.  The lessons are bringing it back.  DH has never studied French but is whizzing through the first units and enjoying it.  

Parlez you francais?




15 comments:

  1. Wow, fantastic job on the weight loss! You are really dialed in. I remember your bike vacation. I might try that when the kids are just a little bit older. My nine year old hasn't quite made the transition to gears, so distance is an issue for him. My high school band director lives in MD Eastern Shore, so I'd love to see him someday. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad for you. I loved shopping in my own closet as I lost weight. I'm looking forward to doing that again when I get back in the groove. I loved the graph and I love knowing that it is possible to sustain weight loss and live a normal sane life and even eat a s'more here & there.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat that Bill & I see the same sunrise as we walk east on our riverfront greenway. It was spectacular this morning and what a joy for it to be cool enough to abandon the mall for outside!! I am so proud of you and your amazing focus over the past several months. Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang Tish, you are rocking everything, from the running and biking (on the same day...wow!), to the weight loss. Nice going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome on the loss! You are really going downhill in a good way this year :D

    I like flat rides, too, but we just don't have that around here. Pretty much no matter where we go - there are hills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your weight graph! That is awesome and congrats at getting close to your goal. Closet shopping is fun. And being able to return to your closet day-in-day out and clothes fitting (once you collect your new size) is even better.

    Enjoy your prep for your France trip. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is interesting about re -learning the French. I took 6 or 7 years in high school and college and always think what a waste that was because I never used it
    Maybe it'll come in handy when I finally get to Haiti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Debby. HS and college. Rosetta Stone is amazing. I'm just half way through the first of five levels and already beyond what I knew before in some aspects of the language. It's based on an immersion concept rather than memorization. DH who had no previous French is already able to chat a bit about things. It wd be great for Haiti! FB has a special floating around where it's half price.

      Delete
  8. I love charts too and yours looks beautiful. Congratulations on the consistent losing and I'm so impressed with your consistency!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the weight loss. So close to your goal!! I've never been to France. Sounds like it will be a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed my your dedication to the early morning runs. To me, getting the exercise in the morning puts a nice little skip in my step for the rest of the day. I love the fact that you are doing so much biking. That biking around the Eastern shore looks fantastic. I am just amazed at how many trails there are for cycling all over the country. Hills never are really east, just be sure to spin in as low a gear as possible and don't stop.

    Lastly, congratulations on such steady progress.


    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your progress for this year, Tish! It's quite an accomplishment and you have much to be proud of! Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on all the success Tish! I love your charts.

    How fun to have an exciting trip to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete