Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Bonjour!

It's been way too long since I posted.  Lots has happened in the meanwhile, but basically, I'm in good shape and have kept up with my eating plan and my exercise.  Except for the past two and a half weeks when DH and I caught a Space A flight to Europe.  We spent most of that time in France.  We had a marvelous time.  Really, it was probably our best vacation ever.  We enjoyed French cuisine (crepes, omelets aux champignons, pommes frites, boeuf bourgingnon, and creme brulee, plus generous samples of pain au chocolat and croissants from the local boulangeries) but, generally, we tried to be fairly circumspect with respect to eating.  I didn't do any formal exercise, but I'd guess we walked at least 5 miles per day and climbed a gazillion steps up and down various castle towers, church spires and, yes, the Eifel Tower.  Long story short, I gained 1.2 pounds from the day we left to this morning.  Not bad, or "pas mal" as the French would say.  I'm back to my routine now and hope to whittle off the French pounds plus a few more of their recalcitrant American cousins.

Hurricane Sandy hit this area (metro DC) with a rainy, windy bang yesterday, but we managed to get home safely just before the worst of it hit.  Long story, we got a Space A flight home, too, so decided to accept a ride to Charleston, SC.  We landed at 10:30pm Sunday night, rented a car, and drove through the night (9 hours) to get home.  We were lucky not to lose power and our basement crawl space is dry [whoops, I spoke too soon.  It had about a foot of water in it, so DH has the hose set up to siphon it out]  and our trees are still standing.  We were fortunate.  Others were not so lucky.  Our heart goes out to them.

Some of those steps we climbed were at the end of the 30 minute walk from the parking lot, the climb up to the top of Mt Saint Michel.  Here we are, about half way up.




With hopes of being back on track and posting and catching up with you all much more often!

Tish

14 comments:

  1. Hee hee, you provided me with a good chuckle tonight. So I am guessing you had more than one or two grain servings a day in France? Oh my! I am seriously jealous of the food you got to try! What is this Space A flight stuff? Anything I need to know about?

    Anyway, glad to hear from you, and that is a very impressive weight maintenance during vacation. I'm pretty sure I gained more than that just going to Sisters, Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the food was super! And I never saw any whole grains there. Space A(vailable) is open to military ID card holders and offers last minute seating on military flights at no, or very low cost. No guarantee that you'll make a flight and the destination is subject to change. DH spent 30 years in the Navy. It kind of makes up for the years we spent apart when he was deployed or at sea.

      Delete
    2. Wow, that is super. A very nice bonus for serving our country.

      Delete
  2. Bill is chomping at the bit to hear every little detail of the trip and see pics. We may have to plan a half way meet up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. You two look so happy. Congrats on your successful trip. Good luck on the dry out.

    Karen P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gained 1.2 pounds on vacation?!?!?!? WHAT were you thinking? Seriously, you should be given a trophy and a new car for tackling Europe and coming away only 1.2 pounds heavy.

    Stay Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip - and how could you not eat all that delicious French food, really? Glad that you weathered the storm so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Tish! Sounds like a beautiful trip and of course I would have loved the food. I think you did amazing coming back with only a little weight gain which could just be water retention from flying!

    I hope you will be sharing more stories and photos with us as time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great picture of the two of you! Glad to hear you weren't affected too badly by Sandy. My folks in Philly and friends in Baltimore and the District made it through without losing power. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip! Love that picture of you and hubs.

    We took our family to Normandy and Paris in 1998 as a way for them to learn first hand about WWII. Each person was allowed to select one place they really wanted to visit. I chose Mt. Saint Michel. I will never forget climbing up that winding path/road. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only a 1.2 pound gain - that's winning in my book! So glad you weren't too effected by the storm, I think even today people are still without power.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So envious of your wonderful trip ... with all our travels we just haven't spent a lot of time in Europe.

    I'm finally in the states and (hopefully!) can reply on your blog. Come on over and say "hi".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tish - just wanted to stop by and wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving - hugs!

    ReplyDelete