Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Busy Day Check In

 I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last posted here.  They were a good two weeks!  My brother, his best friend and my 88 yr old aunt came for a long weekend inbetween.  We had a great time together, mostly talking, playing games (NYT crosswords!), watching Maggie Smith outtakes on YouTube, and cooking and eating delicious healthy food.  You'd never believe my aunt is 88--she's loads of fun and it's always a party when she's there (and, no, there was no alcohol involved :-)).

I completed Cycle I on the 17DD and lost a total of 10.5 pounds.  Then I transitioned to a WW approach for two weeks and gained 3 pounds.  Partly overindulging in foods I'd missed (hello brown rice) and partly having houseguests for 5 days (two batches of Lori's Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies--Warning!:  don't go there if you don't plan on having them; the picture alone is enough to make you want to preheat the oven). DH and I decided to do Cycle I together for 5 days to get back on the straight and skinny.  Today's the last day, and I'm happy to report that those 3 pounds and a bit more have left the building.  Hoping for another good WI tomorrow.  I have a streak going with my WIs.  I've lost at my last 5 WIs.  There were a couple weeks when I didn't go, but still, not bad, right?

On the food front, right now I have my Slow Roasted Plum Tomatoes in the oven.  I'm planning to use them to make a Roasted Tomato and Basil soup.  I've got a big bunch of basil waiting and the tomatoes smell wonderful, they're got about 20 more minutes until they're done.  Here's a quick picture from the oven.  Wish I could send you the aroma, too!

I also made some Stuffed Cabbage.  I was thinking about my mom's cooking and remembered that she used to make Stuffed Cabbage.  I didn't have her recipe but perused the Joy of Cooking and Google to come up with some ideas.  I wanted mine to conform to my 17DD requirements (using ground turkey rather than beef), but it seemed doable.  I used lean ground turkey, chopped onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, basic marinara sauce (Amy's), low-sodium soy sauce, Lee & Perrins,  and salt & pepper for the filling.  I browned the meat and then added the veggies until they were tender, then the other ingredients.  I steamed the cabbage leaves until they were pliable and wrapped a spoonfull of filling in each leaf.  I tucked them seam-side-down in a pyrex dish, added a bit of low-sodium chicken broth and cooked them for about 30 minutes.  I didn't write down amounts, but I wish I had.  They were dee-lish!   Here's a picture. Looks like we had roasted tomatoes at that meal, too.  I told you they were good.

Today I have an unexpected day off from babysitting the grandkids.  I'm on my 4th load of laundry, cooking my soup, catching up on blogs, and planning to get out and do a "rawk" (run/walk, borrowed stolen from Shelley). I need to load up a new audio book on my ipod as I just finished Believing the Lie (Elizabeth George, a Detective Lynley mystery).  A great book that has me gnashing my teeth that it'll likely be two years before I find out what happened to one of my favorite characters!

Oh, I'm also going to drive over to see my friend, Mrs. Elliott.  She is my choir director's mom, who moved up from Alabama to an assisted living place near to her daughter. Mrs. Elliott turned 90 last week.  She's fun and bright and always glad to have company.  She didn't know anyone here except her daughter and was missing her friends so I've sort of adopted her as my "mom" and try to see her at least once a week.  

Here's a picture of little Jack.  He was quite taken with the "real" carrots (as opposed to the baby carrots one usually encounters these days) we found at Whole Foods.  He wanted to eat one right away.  I washed and peeled it, but he wanted the green top left on it.  He ate every bite (except the green, which he tried, but declared "Yucky!)"  Don't you feel rather virtuous when you load up your grocery cart with great looking veggies and scorn the offerings from whole aisles of processed foods?  I do.

We had some snow flakes yesterday, but biking weather is coming closer and closer.  I, for one, can't wait!

Oh, not great report on the mileage project.  I finally recovered from the heel blisters and enforced croc wearing and reclaimed my Nikes a few days ago. Total mileage for the past two weeks is 26 miles.  YTD total 176.  I'm hoping to up the ante now that I can wear real shoes again!


What's your new favorite healthy recipe?

19 comments:

  1. Wow - that's a great loss! I just got the book from the library and have only scanned it so far. I've been asking Sharon lots of questions:) I'm thinking it may not be for me. I'm not sure I'm willing to be that dedicated to give up cheese for my snacks and beans and nuts and any bit of meat at all for those first weeks. I'm not an egg fan:( I keep imagining eggs, yogurt, chicken, fish, veggies, repeat.

    But, the more of you I read about, such great success, the more I think "maybe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thinking that it's for me "for life" either. I do think it's healthy and it does give great results. I had basically lost 10 pounds by the two week point the first time around and think I'll have lost 4.? by tomorrow (after 5 days). I can stick to it for that long, surely. The veggies do take on a new importance. Tami has shared some great recipes. Her Valentine's day chocolate mousse feels like a real treat. As for eggs, I've been loving the egg whites--much better IMHO than egg beaters, which have a small percentage of egg yolk in them.

      Delete
  2. Good for you on the WI streak. I love stuffed cabbage, but my husband won't eat it. This makes me want to make some for me. I love old people. Especially the bright and feisty ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have your nanny make some that you can take in your lunch--they keep well in the fridge for a few days. They are yummy.

      Delete
  3. I want to try that stuffed cabbage so yes, I wish you'd written it down. I've fallen in love with ground turkey since starting the 17DD and by choice, now use it over ground beef in everything I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I'll write it down next time. I made cute little bundles intending for DH to take 2 to work the next day and for me to have the last one for lunch. Instead, each of the 3 of us wanted another after our first two. They were that good. We're quite fond of turkey burgers (pan cooked w a bit of olive oil). Tonight I added a box of sliced mushrooms just before they were done. We all liked it.

      Delete
  4. Tish, I like how you honor your elders. It's something I do as well - not boasting, just noting a tendency. You have some terrific longevity in your family.

    Those tomatoes look great! My "recipe" is caprese salad when tomatoes are fresh. Preferably heirloom, with fresh basil, fresh mozzarella (go easy), and a drizzle of oil and vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful mom who died 18 years ago, but I'd sure have been grateful if she was in similar circumstances and someone visited her and was her friend. My aunt who visited is my mother's only sibling and has always been a favorite.

      I LOVE caprese salad--it takes me back to when we lived in Rome for three years! Yum.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Mrs. Elliott looks like a sweetheart! I love that you appreciate her and know that she enjoys your visits!

    I'm a little over ground turkey just now. Eating it four nights in a row will do that to a person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She brought very few of the things from her home in Alabama, but her daughter told me she liked African Violets, so I took her one the first time I went--she has such a green thumb that that plant has been blooming without letup since August!

      Today was the first day off our 5 day 17DD venture--we had beef stir-fry--it was great! But turkey will play a more prominent part in my cooking from now on, I think.

      Delete
  6. This post is packed full of good news! Love all the food you have been making. You are right that veggies have taken on a new importance on this food plan - that is a good thing. Interesting that the weight went up when you went back to regular WW eating. I had the same experience this past weekend with eating at other peoples homes and having to go with the flow. Few carbs seems to be the right fit for me right now.

    You are a doll to visit the elderly lady once a week. I love the older generation - they have so much wisdom and life stories to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing stories and find that older people are really grateful to have someone who will listen to them.

    I'm glad to have found the 17DD. I think I went off the plan after the restrictive Cycle I and overindulged. This time (after our 5 day Cycle I) I'm being more mindful of my eating and limiting those grains and sugars to small amounts. I'm trying to figure out what works for me. I'll keep tinkering and keep posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you'll find the right balance for you between the 17DD and life. Love all your food pictures. I've never been a fan of cabbage rolls, but your picture is tempting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, this weekend, I'm trying 4 days of 17. I'll make it work for me, you're right.

      Delete
  9. That settles it, Jane. They're on the menu for tomorrow and I'll have my pen and paper nearby to write it down. I had one email (from my niece in turkey) and one phone call from my aunt just today asking about the stuffed cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI, Tish,
    The pictures of the tomatoes are incredible. I never thought to roast them that way. I do love tomatoes and that looks easy. Thanks for sharing.

    In case you ever want a break from audio books, you might want to download some of the free podcasts that are now available. I love them. My favs are Charlie Rose, TED talks and Prairie Home Comp.

    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog yesterday. Thanks for your support and encouragement. I am anxious about the elevation in CO, so will look in to your tip about the Vitamin E. I will not be able to train at elevation, but do plan to be there a few days before the event to get acclimated.

    Have a great day!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. so much good stuff in this post Tish! I agree, roasting veggies and tomatoes just brings on a whole new flavor.

    Love Jack eating the carrot with top and all - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The roasted tomatoes look so delicious! I think I'll have to add those to the grocery list for tomorrow, along with the chicken breasts that I am going to use to make Helen's recipe for crock pot BBQ chicken! Love getting personal recommendations on recipes from my blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried stuffed cabbage but we do adore roasting vegetables! Yum.

    ReplyDelete