Yes, I'm still here, and yes I'm doing just fine. In the month since I've posted, I've survived a two week killer-cold, hosted my aunt and sister for a week-long visit, biked over 100 miles, run 36 miles (mostly in the past week), shaved more than a minute off my running pace, lost 8 pounds according to my morning weight record, fit back into some formerly-too-tight clothing, and generally done well and felt great about my progress. I'm still there. Sorry for the lack of posting. I'm still trying to find a balance between my workouts and my connections with you. I pretty much kept current on your posts, but I've slacked off on composing posts. I miss it. That cold really did knock me out--I was taking afternoon naps every day and going to bed super early and doing no structured exercise. Maybe I can catch the wave again about posting. Hope so.
The 17DD/WW Core combination is continuing to work well for me. The WW Core plan calls for limiting grains/pasta to whole grain varieties and to one portion per day. I had no trouble with the whole grain part, but, in the past, I'd edged up to three portions per day. With the 17DD influence, I've reduced that component to less than one portion per day. Eating bread and pasta always makes me want more bread and pasta. Not eating them, makes me lose weight more easily and I'm over early cravings for them. I choose losing weight and no cravings. I eat pretty simply, but we occasionally work in a dessert or a dinner out. I'm practicing portion control--it makes a real difference. We haven't used the dinner size plates for a couple weeks--that trick of small plates making the offering look bigger works!
My DIL has gotten a great internship which has her working long days. My responsibilities with the youngest grandchildren keep me on my toes three days a week. Today after nap time (did I mention I LOVE nap time) we did art. Jack made a motorcycle out of saved milk bottle caps, mini-popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners. Ella made a ballerina doll out of wooden beads, pipe cleaners, scrap material, and yarn. Each was quite pleased with his/her project. Art is not my strong point, but love and a well-stocked art box go a long way. I'm happy to let them do as much as they can--Jack had a ball painting the bottle-cap, motorcycle wheels orange. I wield the glue gun, and help out with cutting and other tricky parts, but they do a lot themselves. They actually come up with a lot of good ideas.
I'm really pleased with my running recently. It took me so long to feel comfortable about running after my surgery a year ago March, that I really thought I'd probably not run again. Not so. I'm finding I look forward to running and while I'm not planning a late life career as a marathoner, I think there's a lot of running in my future.
I'll leave you with some random pix from the past few weeks.
| Ella and Jack decided DH's soccer cones would make great hats. |
| There is a bumper crop of poison ivy growing all along my favorite running path. I'm hyper allergic and hyper careful! |
![]() |
| I had a great day biking with Sharon (Gains and Losses). This was the beginning of the WO&D trail. |
![]() |
| Dame's Rocket was blooming all along the trail that day. Beautiful and fragrant. |
![]() |
| More WO&D. Doesn't this make you want to grab your bike and come to Virginia?? |
| Wild iris growing along the running path today. I probably could have had an even better pace had I not stopped to snap a few pix! |






So glad you are better. Did you suspect our riding in that wind brought on the cold? I never got a cold, but sure suffered from allergies for a few days. It was a great ride and yes, I'd love for us to do the Creeper in the fall. The New River trail in central VA is also a winner and would be more evenly spaced between the two of us!
ReplyDeleteHey Tish! Love the update - and so proud of all your biking and running mileage! Hope you continue to have a great week!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that things are going well and that you are in a happy place:) My thinking is you should post when you want and have time. But then, I feel guilty that I've been slacking myself in the posting department lately. But only a little. Guilty feeling, that is. I'm the same with bread and grains. The more I eat, the more I want. The longer I go without, the less I miss them. My son, home after graduation for a bit, wants pasta. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear from you. Sorry you had such a bad cold. Glad it's gone. I always enjoy hearing updates on the grankids. They are so cute and you obviously enjoy them so much. I'm so happy that you are back to running. I know you were worried after the surgery.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy things are going well for you! Well, except that cold. It's awful when those things hang on.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are doing just great. Eight pound weight loss is terrific! Glad the biking is going well. That trail looks just lovely, too. I think it would be fun to find out where the best trails are for biking; Seems like every area or state has some good ones.
ReplyDeleteGBs are adorable!
Glad to hear that you are doing so well Tish! I too do better when the grains are limited even if it's the healthy whole grains. I have to say I love the 17DD!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos and what a wonderful bike path.