On the exercise front, I've passed some invisible barrier in the past couple of weeks and it's coming much more easily now. I'm enjoying running, and yes, it's now a lot more running than walking. I've been going out for 90 minutes a few times a week and each time, my distance increases and my pace gets faster. I'm not trying to embark on a racing career, but I'm feeling good about being able to run, and to feel like a "real" runner, again. My ultimate goal is to be able to run 4 or 5 miles a few times a week. For now, while the weather is great (not too hot!) I'm doing a little more. Follow my running with my little Nike+ avatar at the top of the right sidebar.
My biking has also gotten better. As the weather has gotten so much better, I'm getting in about three good rides a week. My balance issues of last year (that followed my spine surgery) are a thing of the past (YAY!) and I'm using my road bike a lot more than my hybrid. I'm inspired by Lori and Michele in their biking successes and working on my endurance and stamina. I'm also scheduled to take a basic bike maintenance course so that I won't have to trudge home walking my bike if I have a flat tire or other basic problem. You can follow my biking progress in the DailyMile widget in the right sidebar. Thanks to Michele for the idea of using DailyMile. A few nice long bike rides and several decent runs for a total of 99 miles over the past two weeks. YTD total miles is at 407 as of April 15!
I am continuing with my own approach of using 17DD and WW Simply Filling with good results. I'm losing every week at my WI's and am firmly back in "wonderland" again. I'm averaging losing about 1.3 pounds a week. Not bad for a 60 year old! At this rate, I hope to be at my goal weight by the time we go to the beach in August. I'm at that happy place now, where clothes that were not fitting are now fitting well or starting to get loose! DH has reached his WW goal weight and son Jay has lost a little over 3 pounds since February. Neither has a weight problem, but both are in "fighting trim" now and looking quite good.
I'm trying out new recipes and continuing to make our favorites and we're eating well. Tonight I made roasted fennel. I took the bulb, cut it in 2/3" slices, dipped it in a mixture of one part balsamic vinegar and one part olive oil and sprinkled some parmesan cheese on the top. I roasted it in a 400 degree oven for 20+ minutes so that it was golden brown and quite tastey. (the original recipe called for two parts dijon mustard to be added to the mixture, but I opted out of the mustard!).
I'll leave you with one picture from the past few weeks. None of me, I was the photographer. I'll try to do better about getting myself in the picture next time.
| DH and Ella, who has finally learned to smile for the camera! |



It sounds like you've been really busy! You seem to be on the right track. Yay for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout outs! I am so happy for you that both running nn biking have firmly found a place in your life again. I am guessing you have had some terrific days of biking these last couple of weeks in the NE. We sure have in MN!
ReplyDeleteAnother terrific app is called endomondo. It uses GPS to map the routes you take, counts the cals you burn and gives you other wonderful stats. It is a few dollars. I love it!
I face the reality of how hard it is to loose weight after a certain age. My metabolism is slow now and I am a slow loser, but I am a loser! Have a great weekend! The picture of Ella and dh is sweet as can be. Michele
All those successes, an easy and flavorful recipe, a precious photo, and all I can think is, "You're older than I am! You're older than I am!" :) (And actually, I thought I was the older.)
ReplyDeleteWhen I began losing the last time (age 48-49), I set the bar low mainly because of my age. My goal was to get to a size 14. Little did I know... . :)
hope you have a great weekend!
Glad to hear that things are going so well. I'm impressed with your running. And can't wait until I start cardio again:)
ReplyDeleteYou've out-biked me!! Haven't even been on our bikes yet this year and getting ready to take them to New England. Guess we'll be starting from scratch! I know what you mean about posting intentions and having it get away from you, but I do enjoy your posts! Sending you an email soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm still waiting to get to that exercise place as it is now a chore for me. I really think that the eating comes first and the exercise mojo follows.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so great Tish!! That last picture is adorable. Hope you are having a great weekend!
ReplyDelete