Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Moment of Repose

The view from the porch.  
This was a small post I composed last week. I had some connection problems with my macbook so didn't get this posted.  I'll post again in a couple days with a recap of recent events.


Hi all! I'm sitting on the porch of the beach house we rented enjoying the night falling, the sound of the waves and the wonderful evening breeze. We got here this afternoon, I made supper, went for a quick run on the beach, and then DH's dad came over for supper. The fellas have all gone off to find an ice cream place, but I opted to hold down the fort, instead. Our daughter, Laura, and her family shd get here in the next hour or so. They live near Seattle, and we haven't seen them since Xmas. johnny's family (our neighbors in Alexandria) will arrive tomorrow. We're looking forward to a fun family time! DH'S dad turns 90 on Saturday and we'll host a tea party for around 35 people. I'm pretty well prepared and determined to enjoy the family time and not stress! Here's a picture of the birthday boy taken right after supper.
Almost 90!



 Just had phone calls from Laura and Tobey and both families expect to arrive tonight around 1 AM. A few hours late for the Seattle gang and one day early for thecAlexandrians! Joy. We love our kids! It's only about 10 now, DH and I may go down for a "midnight" swim in the surf while we wait for them. He's driving his dad home now. He did all the driving today, 6 hours, so maybe he'll want to nap instead. We'll see. Lost .2 at my WI yesterday.

 We had company, a nephew and his family from Atlanta, for two days this week. We did a bit of sightseeing in DC, Washington National Cathedral, and the went for a bike ride. The two children, 10 and 8, we're troopers and did the 13 mile ride with no complaints. We took along a picnic lunch and let them play in the park for a while.

 We left this morning about 30 minutes after they did. Our cooler was loaded up with things for the party and so was the trunk of the car. Usually I bring all my diet friendly things along, but this time we stopped at Harris Teeter as we came into town. I made eggplant parmesan for supper. Yum. Hoping to keep up with my running while we're here. I might try to see if we can borrow bikes from one of the local cousins, I brought along my biking gear.


6 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you again - I miss it when you don't post for a week or so and REALLY miss it when you go on these extended breaks!! So glad everything went well. I see some of DH in his dad just like I saw LOTS of you in YOUR dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your father-in-law doesn't look anywhere close to 90! Happy Birthday wishes to him! And wishing you all a joyful family gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious of your bike rides ... even when it's not raining here lately it's pretty cold ... high of 45 yesterday. Your fil looks great; hope the celebration was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're continuing to do well.

    Happy birthday to FIL. You'll have to do another post about the tea party. Hope it went well.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! he looks terrific for 90! Hope your week at the beach was fabulous. Nothing better than the fam on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for beach and family time! Your FIL looks great for 90!!

    ReplyDelete