Friday, July 6, 2012

Beating the Heat

Record breaking heat today, tomorrow, and Sunday, then a "cold front" coming
with temps only in the high 80s!
The huge storm that hit here a week ago took out many trees, including this grand
old specimin that we guess was 300 years old and maybe 10-12 feet in diameter.

The storm hit here around 11 last Friday night.  Immediately knocked out power (and AC).  Laura had just flown in from Seattle to spend the weekend before flying home with Rose on Monday.  We decided to leave the house in favor
of an air-conditioned nice hotel with a pool to enjoy the weekend together.  We headed north and, despite many inquries, didn't find a hotel with rooms and power until we got to Wilmington, Delaware (about 2+ hours north of here).  There was visible storm damage (downed trees all along I95) until well north of Baltimore.  Many hotels that 
we tried did not have power.  Our own power didn't come back until Sunday and we were without Cox service (phone, Internet, TV) until Monday night.  There are people we know who are still without power.  We want underground wires if and when we buy another house!  We were very lucky.  Just branches blown from neighboring trees in our yard.  

Johnny and Jack fill the bird feeders, staying in the shade of the umbrella and the crape myrtle.

Laura models star bubble blowing techniques.
It's so hot and humid out during the day that our outside playtime (bubble-blowing and playing on the slip and slide) usually takes place before 10.  We tried the playground one morning, but despite the shade, the swings and slides were much to hot for comfort.

Rose must take after her mom, some pretty good bubble production going on.
The house seems empty without Rose's cheery presence.  Ella and Jack miss her a lot, too.  They were always "up" for any game or activity she suggested and she did a great job a big-sister.  A nice change for Rose, the youngest of 3 in her family.  Rose got better and better on the bike when she was here.  We stayed a while Saturday morning after the storm, hoping that the power might come back on, and went on a 13 mile ride through the neighborhoods.  She was a trooper, never complained and was as interested in seeing the storm damage as we were.  We did have to maneuver around downed power lines and walk our bikes around big downed trees, but we had a good ride.
Jack and Ella were more interested in catching bubbles on their bubble wands.

One of the many trees down across my running path.  I run very early in the morning.
Notice the very long shadows and the pinkish-hue of the sunshine--there was an old poem that my mother shared with me once that mentioned "rosy-fingered dawn." She was buried at Arlington 19 years ago, today.

I've kept up with the running and biking, despite the weather.  I get out to run by 6.  It was 84 degrees at six this morning!  DH and I went for a nice bike ride on Independance Day, mid-morning to noon.  It's a little cooler biking because we use mostly shaded paths and the bike generates a little "personal-breeze."  We also take two large bottles of ice water and stop to drink it half way through.  We don't need to stop, but the water break is good.  And yes, Mom, I always slather on lots of sunblock.  Funny to think that when I was growing up people used sun-tan lotion to get a tan!


The Slip and Slide got a good workout.  I love Jack's expression--he loves it, but it's
cold and the water is getting on his body.  The slip and slide left a 20X5 foot swath of
dead yellow grass after our 2 hour play session.  A knife to the heart of lawn-tender DH.
Anybody have any ideas about how to prevent the yellow dead grass under the slip and slide?  It really is annoying, but the children love it so.  Our best slip and slide area (shaded and sloped) is smack dab in the middle of the back yard.

My brand new running shoes (Nike Vomero 7).  I love the color
and my first run in them, this morning, felt like I was running
on clouds.

Shelley wrote about her new running socks.  She said they'd make
her run faster.  Mine are a different brand, but it's true!  I thought
the pink color might deter any house-sharing sock snatchers!! (Hi
sweetheart, ti amo!)

I lost .4 at my WI last week.  WW was closed on the 4th, so I'll expect big things next Wednesday. 



My new-found refreshing summer drink.  Lemon Ginger Green Tea iced-tea.
I make a large pot of it in the morning and finish it by dinner time.

Stay cool!

13 comments:

  1. So much on which to comment, so little time...

    First, I'm so glad your home didn't suffer any damage from the storms and that your outage was (relatively) brief!

    "Rosy-fingered dawn" Homer, I think? Someone ancient. :)

    Balega socks are my absolute favorites!

    As for the dead grass under the slip 'n' slide, I read somewhere that wetting the grass under the slide before putting it down will lessen the amount of heat that gets trapped between the plastic and the grass. I have no idea if that works as I have no slip 'n' slide. For now. :)

    More storms headed your way, so stay safe and cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea about soaking the ground under the S&S, Cammy. Will definitely try that next time.

      Delete
  2. Very nice running path. If I had that, I would be a better runner. Kids have the best time in water, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the midst of record breaking, triple digit highs here as well. We haven't had any rain in weeks. Everything is parched and dying.

    Good for you for not letting conditions that you can't control, control you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you look fit in your new picture. My best friend growing up lives in NW DC and was in the WAPO by a downed tree on his street. Just terrible. Seattle just turned the corner into the sunny and warm(ish) season. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad about those big old trees. Hope you survive the heat. I know adjusting to this Texas heat after a while in the Northwest is killing me. Love the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tish, you look great in your new biking picture! Very fit and slim. Your exercise and fitness routine is making a difference. Way to go, little sister! xxm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer on losing all of those trees:(
    Blowing bubbles does make the world a better place!
    Wishing you success in achieving those big expectations
    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.con

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck, that heat looks horrible. Pity about the old tree, such beautiful things, taking so long to grow, and so quickly destroyed. Looks like having the kids around is great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had the heat wave (106) but not the storms. I'm glad you were all okay through it. As far as the yellow grass, it will come back although we tend to move those kinds of things around the yard to help minimize the damage!

    I'm like you - I exercise early in the morning to beat the heat and get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, the storms were crazy in the NE - my Aunt's summer house was without power for 5 days.

    I don't think there is any way to avoid the yellow grass under the slip and slide, unless you dump the water every day and move it to a new spot each time - I used to love that when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you all with the heat! That's tough!! Love the pictures!!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tish,
    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I'm going to look for that tea - it looks so refreshing. Hope things cool down for you all.

    ReplyDelete