After my gym workout on Thursday night, I swam. I was able to add one more lap (both ways!) to my workout. Yay. Swimming does NOT come naturally to me. I had a shoulder injury more than 10 years ago and think that some of the aches I've had recently are probably due to the swimming motions that involve that shoulder. I'm taking it easy and a little bit at a time. I was pleased to win a "sneak-race" with the man in the next lane. [Sneak Race = spotting and racing someone who doesn't know s/he is in the race.]
| J, trying to hold both his and E's new balls. Note E's French braids. |
For dinner I made an old fashioned roasted chicken (5 lb chicken, rub w/ olive oil & salt & pepper, roast in 500 degree oven for 1 hour--perfect every time), mashed potatoes, peas & corn, and, my new favorite, baked apples (I've made these EVERY day since we returned). We ended up not having dessert because the kids were very anxious to open their presents. I confess, DH & I had WW latte bars after they left.
![]() |
| Capital Crescent Trail |
I'm back in the saddle with the new WW PointsPlus program. A few small veerings off-course, but I just track them and use my generous allotment of weekly points. Interestingly, my WW leader said that during her 2 month long trial of this program, before it was presented to us, she NEVER gave back any of her alloted points and still lost 4 pounds. (remember, she was already at her goal weight).
My Hot 100 Update: I did not reach my goal weight by today, but I am content that I did the best I could under trying circumstances. I did firmly establish the 6/7 workouts per week plan--this feels just right to me. Also, I think I have the chocolate under control. One ounce of dark chocolate per day, and I seem to be able to keep the remainder in the cupboard until it's needed. Yay. Thank you Steve for organizing this and keeping me accountable over the past few months. I'll be back next year with a maintenance goal.
New thought. Does anyone here have a Kindle? I'm considering getting one. We gave our daughter, Laura, one for Christmas. I didn't realize it played games (scrabble, etc) until recently. The other option is an iPad. Ideas? Comments?
Have a great day and a Very Happy New Year.
(my little bike rider next to my signature is from Andrew and is used with his blessing--thanks, Andrew)




Yea on the swimming! I'm not good at it all but it looks like you're doing very well!
ReplyDeleteThe chicken and baked apples sound wonderful! Thanks!
My son got a kindle for himself and loves it. He still gets a lot of books though too. Don't think he uses it for games. I think the best part would be how easy it would be for travel. And low light conditions with aging eyes:( I miss riding my bike and feel very out of shape!
ReplyDeleteGood for you on the swimming! I totally get the sneak racing. I do it when I'm out walking all the time. I can beat all the senior citizens now. :)
ReplyDeleteNo job=no ipad. I really don't care so much for a kindle, but I do hope to get an ipad at some point.
You have made great progress this past year. Nice job on the swimming too! I love it....sneak racing. That is a new term for me.
ReplyDeleteI have an iPad and I love it. I use the iPad Kindle Client app to read books bought from Amazon. As far as a book reader goes I think the iPad is as good, but maybe not if you want to read it it outside in sunlight, where the Kindle may be better. Of course, the iPad will do so much more (almost anything you want, there seems to be an app for jsut about everything). Play music, videos, games, use the internet, blog etc
ReplyDeleteOf course the iPad comes at a significantly higher price too!
Anyway, I haven't owned a Kindle, but love my iPad.
Happy New Year! My daughter has a Kindle and she loves it. She still likes a book, (English/Spanish major in college) but for travel she says the Kindle is amazing.
ReplyDeleteTish, realize I'm late in the game here, but I wanted to help. I LOVE my Kindle. It does one thing (books), but it's great at it. I actually like that it's not back-lit; that's a welcome break from my computer screen time. I'd love an IPad for all the other benefits, but for books, I think the Kindle is amazing. I've blogged about this before, but for me the read aloud mode is a big help, too. I commute about an hour a day. With a job and kids, there's not much time for reading books. Listening on the Kindle (the voice is passable, in my opinion) greatly increases my reading productivity.
ReplyDeleteGreat job with the Hot 100! Love the 1 oz of dark chocolate! I got an iPad from my hubby for Christmas. It's awesome for reading, e-mail, calendar, blogging. I can read in bed, in car pool line, or while on the Elliptical. It's really faster than our lap top. Love that I can adjust the size of things with the spread of my fingers. Normally I'm glued to my readers but not with the iPad. I'm sure you would also love the Kindle too. I just love that I can multi-task with the iPad!
ReplyDelete