Friday, May 20, 2011

Lead Us Not into Temptation

It seems that the meteorologist took my more water goal to heart.  We've had showers or storms or sprinkles every day for the past week or so, but spring is still coming.  The water really does help make me less vulnerable to the snack monster, but I can't wait to get over this phase where I need to know where the closest facility is at all times.  As I recall, that improves as the water habit becomes well established--am I right?

I've had a fairly good week on the exercise front, too.  Three walks on my river path and two workouts at the gym.  Our gym has a computer-linked system that keeps track of the workouts.  Mine me me with a plaintive "Where have you been" message when I went back for the first time since my surgery (2 months).     I'm doing almost all the stations in my normal routine, but, as per doctor's instructions, I've stepped back the weights and upped the repetitions.  The rain has put our evening bike rides on hold this week, but tomorrow bids fair to enjoy a nice ride in the late afternoon.

You might remember our youngest son, Jay, who lives with us.  He is wonderful at eating (and liking) whatever I put on his plate.  He does, however, love soft drinks.  He usually takes a diet coke (or diet A&W) in his lunch and we usually keep a good stash of them in the garage.  We've had to talk to him about chugging them down when we're not home, but it wasn't too bad.  Lately, he's gotten into the (bad) habit of sneaking cans of coke up to his room.  I saw him go into the garage with his winter coat on (75 degrees outside) and walked in to find him stuffing cans of coke into his pockets.  Another talking to.

Yesterday, late in the afternoon I heard a loud noise in my kitchen.  Some investigation revealed an exploded can of diet coke in the ice cube box in the freezer.  Jay admitted to the deed.  We talked again.  I tried to explain about how liquid expands when it freezes.  I tried to make it clear that he was limited to only 1 can a day.  An entire roll of paper towels gave its life to the clean-up.   When I was making dinner, I went out to the garage to grab a bag of peas from the freezer in the garage.  TWO more exploded cans of diet coke.  Jay was confronted with the mess.  He was very sorry.   While I was talking to him, I noticed 4 additional cans in the freezer--not yet exploded.  The upshot is that DH and I decided that we won't keep coke in the house so Jay won't be tempted.   DH took the rest of the cans to work.   I confess that I just closed the freezer door and left the mess for another day.  That freezer needs a good cleaning out anyway.

All this made me think about my temptations and how they call to me.  Jay's problem is easy.  We can totally cut off the source.  He doesn't shop by himself, so can't get any unless someone gives him some.
My temptations are not so easily dealt with.  I avoid what I can (candy aisles, bakeries, the Krispy Kreme donut shop) but some temptations throw themselves in my way.  I'm trying to redevelop those say-no muscles.  Right now I'm feeling strong, and that's good.

How about you?  Do you have any great ideas for turning away from temptations?

7 comments:

  1. Like you I am going at avoid temptation in my everyday routines, it is when an unexpected temptation creeps in that I have a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Jay - easiest way to keep me from dipping my hand into the stash is to have no stash. I haven't had bread or peanut butter in the house in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not everyone agrees, but Karen and I are united on this one. The same psychology applies as you used with Jay. Cut it off at the source. My "trigger" foods and many other things just can't be in the house. It is too great a temptation for me to handle. For me, it's a matter of what's more important - the taste of that treat in the moment or a lifetime at goal weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tish, good post. So true about temptation and the structures we need to avoid it.

    As an aside, I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke. Once, when I was living in New York as a bachelor, I bought a case on sale, but forgot it in the trunk of my car. In January. One day I opened my trunk and found 12 exploded cans. Fortunately the contents were frozen, and therefore easy to clean up. So I can relate to Jay on that one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but that's really funny about the exploding coke cans in the freezers. I have to admit to an exploding can in my freezer a while ago. Don't worry, the mess doesn't look so bad after about four months LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard at times - "Just don't go there!"
    works best for me.... avoidance?
    Better than abject failure, at this point.
    Maybe one day I will have all the self-control I need!
    But maybe not now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jay; he's had a tough time. Bet it was tempting to explode yourself
    when you saw the frozen can of coke... I try not to have sweets in the
    house. When I crave something sweet, I bake an oatmeal snack cake from
    a low-fat recipe I concocted. Oatmeal Snack Cake: Stir together:
    1/4 cup oil 1/2 tsp. each of b. soda, cinnamon; dash salt
    1/3 cup brown sugar 1 egg, 1/2 cup oats, 1 tsp. vinegar
    1/2 cup flour 1/2-1 apple, chopped; 2 T. each raisins, ch. nuts
    Bake in gr. 9" sq. pan 20-25 min. at 350. (Double recipe for 9x12 pan.)

    ReplyDelete