Sunday, May 15, 2011

Two Days in a Row--a Streak?

Hi All,

Just back from my second day-in-a-row of exercise.  A basic walk on the Mt Vernon trail.  I timed it just right as it was beautiful when I was out there, but the sky has become overcast and thunder storms are fast approaching from the south.

I am still not up to speed as to my exercise.  The doctor gave me the okay to do most of my regular exercises, but cautioned that balance might continue to be a problem for a while.  I find I can do well walking on basic flat, straight stretches, but rough surfaces, lots of curves in the path and hills are challenging.  I can walk, certainly, but it takes quite a bit more energy (mental and physical).  We're hoping this fades away.  The good news on the exercise front is that DH and I went for a 10 mile bike ride a few days ago.  The balance there didn't seem to be a problem. Now that things chez-nous are more or less back to normal, I expect we'll get back in our good weather routine of biking after supper a few days a week.  I'm planning to renew my gym routine (resistance weights)  again starting tomorrow.

My Dad's funeral service went really well.  Despite threatened tornados and thunder storms, we managed to find an hour or so with suitably somber, but not rainy weather during the funeral service and interment.  I didn't take lots of pictures, but did snap this one as my siblings and I walked behind the Army band and caisson from the church to the graveside.  Dad was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

A week afterwards, when everyone had left the area, we drove down to Wrightsville Beach (NC) to spend some time with DH's sibs and sibs-in-law.  The 6 of us stayed in a rental house right on the beach and had a great time.  We all went in (water temp in the low 70s) and thought it was wonderful.  This is compared to our usual meeting place in Tofino BC (avg water temp in the 50s).  The locals thought we were "loco."  Apparently, in Wrightsville Beach,  only Canadians go in the water before June.  Funny.  The water was beautiful. There were plenty of surfers (clad in wet-suits) taking advantage of some great waves.
I mentioned that I went to WW on Wednesday.  As I stepped on the scale, I told the clerk that I didn't want to know what it was.  Definitely not good.  I've gained almost 20 pounds since December, when my Dad died.  Now is the time to start going the other direction.  As always, my wonderful DH is on board with this plan and totally supportive in meals and exercise.  Also the neighborhood farmer's market is open for business and some of my favorite eating is summer produce--corn on the cob, tomatoes, berries, peaches . . . .   Last week my B-I-L picked up some baby cucumbers at the market--almost like eating candy, they were so sweet and wonderful.  I've upped my water intake and find that's helping in squelching off-plan eating.

Our oldest grandchild turned 11 yesterday.  She's a big reader (like her mom and grandmother) and we got her a Kindle.  There are so many good, free books online that she will be quite content with the free stuff for a long time.  Books like Heidi, Pollyanna, Little Women . . .  Here's a picture of the west coast grand kids from when they were here.
I need to sign off and start thinking about dinner.  Something with roast chicken and snow peas . . . .

Be good!

10 comments:

  1. Wow-Tish! I disappeared from Blogging world for a few months and I just read up on all that has been going on with you. Hope you continue to heal-sounds like you are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandkids are all so cute. Its good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tish, I am glad you are back. Lots have happened to you, but you will get that twenty pounds off in no time. Beautiful grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very happy to see a post from you. I've missed you. Believe me, I can identify with the struggle following the death of a parent. Please tell me what I can do to help!! Maybe a meet-up somewhere in between VA and TN(up in the mountains) when Mr. B starts teaching his summer class in July!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope things continue to get ironed out with your balance issues! Thanks for sharing those pictures with us; when my grandfather passed away, my most cherished memory of his funeral is the fact that he was honored for his service in the military.

    I'm not sure if I told you - I'm over at http://babiesandmarathons.blogspot.com. Got a new challenge happening in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your father's service went well despite the weather. Was so happy to see you back with us. I've missed your positive attitude. You've been through a lot lately and now you can move forward. Your grandkids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back two days in a row, Tish. My condolences on your father. Quite a pic from the procession.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had all my blogs saved on my old work computer - I really need to get with the times and do a Google Reader - I am adding you to my blog roll so I can keep up with you!

    Don't worry about the 20 pounds - you have a plan now.

    Sorry about your father - glad he got the military honor he deserved! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tish -- I'm sure the exercise will pick up in no time at all and the pounds will fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many of us seem to be struggling with a few extra pounds right now. I'm hoping that continuing blogging and reaching out to my bloggers buddies for ideas and advice will help me regain my formerly good habits.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete