Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hot, Humid, and Happy

I mentioned that I was hoping for a good WI today, well, I had a good WI.  Despite being on prednisone (#1 side effect = weight gain) for five days this week, I managed to lose 1.8 pounds.  Yay me!  It was every bit as hot and humid as predicted, but I ducked out early and walked along my river path before the heat had a chance to do its worst.  Still needed a (cool) shower when I got home, but I got my exercise in and felt good.

Tomorrow's weather forecast is a copy of today's.  I'll have the grandkids and plan to take them to Huntley Meadows, a lovely large county park just a few miles from our house.  It has marsh lands with a raised boardwalk and lots of wooded trails.  Given the weather, though, my plan is to take them to the air-conditioned visitor's center which has lots of interesting, touchable displays.  We'll hit the boardwalk on some other (cooler) day.

I made a great dinner tonight.  Rigatoni with sausage, spinach and goat cheese.  It also calls for a pint of cherry tomatoes (very colorful) and I added a cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms (added just after the sausage).  I also made mine with whole wheat rigatoni.   Quick, beautiful, and nutritious.  This got rave reviews from my fellas.  I saw someone demonstrate making this on the Today Show and you can see the recipe and a video here. (It's the second recipe at that link.)

On the garden front, I got a surprise today.  I was taking my daily tour of my "babies" and noticed something really white in one of the beds.  I went over and found that the gardenia that I planted about four weeks ago had a big, lovely, fragrant white flower.  I'd just about given up.

Hope you've had a great day, too.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you, Tish:) My husband loves goat cheese and I suspect I will look for recipes with it once my son heads to college. I'm not a huge fan but can eat it in small amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Wow that gardenia sure is pretty. I'm not even sure what a gardenia smells like. Only 4 weeks and it made that? beautiful! Congrats on your WL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Tish! That would have been a great loss even without the steroids.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the weigh in! I LOVE gardenia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, oh, oh - GARDENIA!! I need advice on it!! :) I have one indoors - maybe I should put it outside (about 85 degrees here & humid) - full sun? Any tidbits of info?
    I saw your comment on another blog about ideal weight (HS grad + 20 lbs.) -- LOVE IT!
    DAwn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those wonderful gardenias from when we lived in Florida. So beautiful and fragrant! Won't grow up here. Wish they would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that gardenia is stunning!

    Way to go on a great WI in spite of prednisone... that is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tish! You haven't been on here to update or anything in a while. All ok? Hope so! :D

    ReplyDelete