Friday, January 20, 2012

Soup's On

It feels like winter here, today.  There's a possibility of snow flurries and the temperature is in the low 30s.  It's soup weather!  I love soup weather and soup.  I've made three soups recently that I'd like to share with you.

The other day I made Classic Chicken Soup with Noodles a WW recipe that's become a favorite in our house.  I add a cup of sliced mushrooms and some frozen corn (about 1 cup), but it's deelish either way.  I actually made two pots of soup because it's really just as easy to make two as it is to make one.  I took the other pot to son Johnny's house.

My mainstay, go-to soup, that has been a favorite since before we had children (38 years!) is hamburger soup.  I should really think up some other name for it, because it's hearty, healthy, delicious, and filling.  It's also very forgiving.  You can substitute just about anything.  My own changes depending upon what veggies I have on hand and what the season is.  What stays the same is its deliciousness!  The recipe will be at the end of this post.

The third soup I want to share today is a new one.  Coconut Curry Kale Soup.  I even love the name.  A hint of sweet, a hint of spice, and some good-for-you stuff.   I read about it on Debby's blog (Debby Weighs In) and she got it from Helen (Doing a 180).  I added about 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels and substituted 1 can of white beans for the chick peas.  Mine looks pinker than the picture Helen had, but it's great either way.   I made it a lunch time today and had some kale left over from the bunch I picked up at Whole Foods, so, during the last 10 minutes of cooking, I made kale chips to go with my soup.  (tear kale into chip size pieces.  spread it out on a silpad or pam-sprayed cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.  the kale will turn crispy but shd still retain some green.  sprinkle with salt to taste.  DH and I devoured an entire big bunch of kale before dinner one night, the first time I made this.)

Not too much happening in the garden over the winter except for the daphne.  It's one of the earliest bloomers and ours is covered with beautiful, dark-pink buds.  When they bloom, the flower has a heavenly sweet fragrance.
Daphne bud, mid January

The bush is covered with buds.


The buds bloom to white fragrant flowers (pic from last year).

One more comfort on a winter's day.  I think I'd mentioned that Laura gave me wool socks for Christmas.  I was able to find more at my local Costco.  They are toasty warm.  It's amazing how wool is so much warmer than cotton or synthetic fabrics.   Also, the 12 new, energy-efficient windows we put in are making a big difference in keeping our house warm.  We have two heating systems.  The upstairs rooms used to get quite cool in the winter, but since we installed the new windows, our thermostat doesn't trigger, because the temperature stays about 69 degrees. No more drafty windows.

And no more mishaps with the pedometer to report!  I'm trying to develop good habits about storing and using it.

I LOVE the new "reply" button in the comments section.  If you ask me a question in your comment, please check back.  I'll try to answer you.

Oh, I lost one pound at my WI on Wednesday.  That's two weeks in a row that I've lost.  I'm striving to be a trend-setter!

Be good, enjoy the season, and make some soup!








Hamburger Soup  (core)

1 pounds ground beef   (93% fat free)
2 cans diced tomatoes  (use fire roasted)
1 can tomato sauce
4 cans water
3 carrots–sliced
1 can frozen corn (or canned—rinsed drained)
1 cup frozen green beans  (or canned—rinsed drained) 
1 can rinsed black beans (optional, usually I omit)
celery–3 or four ribs chopped
onion–1 large chopped
barley about 1/4 cup
2 or 3 bouillon cubes, vegetable or chicken (I like the Knorr brand)
salt and pepper to taste

Makes about 10 generous servings.


I start this just after church for Sunday supper.  Brown the beef (and drain if beef is not lean) add onion, celery cans of tomatoes and sauce and about half of the water.  Simmer for a few hours, then add vegetables and barley.  Add more water as needed if soup boils down too much Simmer for 1-2 hours more.  Great first day and even better the next.  This is the “can” way from things you may have on your shelf.  You can substitute fresh or frozen vegetables for any of the canned.  I particularly like to add zucchini slices, fresh sliced mushrooms or fresh green beans–added about 1 ½ hours before serving.

16 comments:

  1. I heard about this new reply option for blogger. Fun! I'm trying sweet potato black bean chili in the crock pot today for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum. I want to hear about your soup, too. Re the reply, I just managed to delete a comment by mistake when I was trying to reply. More study needed.

      Delete
  2. Well, I was trying to comment not reply, hence the deleted comment. What I said was that I've been on a soup kick too. Vegetable soup on line for next week and chicken soup in the refrigerator from yesterday's cooking efforts. I've also been saving my vegetable scraps and bones to make my own broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's my next step. I've been using the Pacific Natural broths because they are wonderfully low in sodium (70mg v 900mg per cup in the store brand DH brought home recently), but making my own sounds appealing.

      Delete
  3. The soup looks hearty and healthy. I've become a fan of soup as I've tried to eat healthier. Good luck with your winter weather. Perhaps you heard about the storm in Seattle this week - a whopper for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter lives in Woodinville so I keep up with your weather. You guys got a ton of snow. Hope you guys did okay. I notice that the more usual rain seems to be prevailing now.

      Delete
  4. Soup is yummy. I love all kinds of soup! I make a soup kinda like that one. The socks are cuts. My feet are ALWAYS cold since I've lost weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my most reliable physical signs of losing weight--I get cold. Totally worth it, though!

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite soups is potato-leek. I use this recipe although I add in garlic, bay leaves and mushrooms and leave out the milk. Very good. I made it tonight (http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/vegetablesandvegetarian/r/leekpotatosoup.htm).

    I love smart wool socks. They are expensive, but I know no other sock that holds up, is warm and doesn't make my feet sweat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, you must have been peeking in my shopping cart. I bought leeks, yukon gold potatoes and mushrooms yesterday with a soup in mind, but I hadn't picked a recipe. Thanks! I've already copied your recipe to my Paprika app.

      Delete
  6. Oh how ironic.. I keep hearing about hamburger soup and it sounds delicious! I will have to give your recipe a whirl..thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it for dinner last night and there's some left over for lunch today!

      Delete
  7. This soup looks really delicious. Do you know if it freezes well? That's a lot of soup for one person!

    LOVE wool socks. I have some that I bought years ago and have not been able to find any since (that I like.) I missed those at Costco! Of course, I have quite a few that I have knit. Need to get those back out and enjoy this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It freezes beautifully. We sometimes freeze a pot to take on trips if we know we'll have a kitchen.

      Delete
  8. I tagged you in my post today! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your info. See my next post . . . .

      Delete