Monday, January 16, 2012

Watching my Step(s)

I got a new pedometer for Christmas and am trying to join my sister and daughter in accumulating 10,000 steps a day. They are both champion steppers. I'm not, yet, but I'm getting there.

One of the hurdles I need to overcome is remembering to wear my pedometer every day. Another challenge is fnding it. One day this week I realized I hadn't put it on. I was pretty busy, but I ran back upstairs and did a quick search. No pedometer. I took little Jack up with me later and got him looking for it, too. He and I searched under the bed, on the bathroom counter, and on my closet floor. No ped that day. I think I got a goodly amount of steps, but have no record. The next day (still no ped) I was doing the last couple loads of laundry and I heard a thumping from the dryer. I did what I usually do in such a case and ignored it. You may be smarter than I am.  Yes.   My ped was washed (heavy duty cycle) and tumble dried for about 40 minutes. The amazing thing is . . . it works just fine! AND it registered 1472 steps on it's journey through the laundry!

I lost 3 pounds at my WI on Wednesday. I'm hoping to continue the trend this Wednesday. I made WW Classic Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner tonight and made an extra pot for Johnny's family. Soup is always welcome on a chilly day.

I'm going gangbusters on drinking my water. The 24 oz drinking bottle is working for me. I drink at least 9 cups a day and keeping so hydrated helps me keep on plan with my eating.

For your viewing pleasure:
Laura's family, DH, and Jay in Austin.  I was on the other side of the camera.

16 miles to report for last week--NOT counting the 1472 steps registered in the washer and dryer!  No more biking until the weather is a little lot warmer.  YTD=45 miles

Are you watching your step(s)?


16 comments:

  1. The pedometer becomes a habit. I've been wearing one since 2006 and it's the last thing that comes off at night and first thing that goes on in the morning. Learned a long time ago to attach directly to my undies (TMI maybe???). I can't feel it, it is hidden and ALWAYS there i.e. never lost and every step gets recorded!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the undies trick, but save that for no-pocket days. I like to be able to check it occasionally during the day.

      Delete
  2. When I wore my little gadget I put it on my bathroom sink before I brushed my teeth at night and picked it up in the morning. My bigger challenge was choosing clothes that it would conveniently fit on and not show. Sharon shared her tip with me, that she shares above. Be sure your pedometer has a strap or safety attachment or you might have it drop when you "drop your drawers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a routine for where I put it would do the trick for me. For now, I'm putting it in a container I keep on the bathroom counter. How may repetitions makes a habit? I'll let you know. Yes, the strap with the clamp feature is essential. I always use it.

      Delete
  3. I was doing so well with using a pedometer...until I lost it! UGH! It must have came off my pants without me noticing. I had actually borrowed it from hubby with his last words about it being...just don't lose it!! Oops! I bought him a replacement, but didn't buy one for myself. Maybe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly lost my share of peds. Hoping for better luck with this one.

      Delete
  4. I did the same thing with losing mine. Then it needed charging and I had to find the charger. I keep meaning to put it on, but I keep forgetting. Excellent on losing 3 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think mine gets charged. It has a battery which I hope lasts for a very long time.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the loss! Cute pic. I'm guilty of washing my gadgets woo. I have a fitbit and I killed one by washing it too many times. It's so small I forget I have it on sometimes and it ends up in the laundry. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try very hard not to repeat the washing/drying of this ped. I imagine it may not survive so well if I continually subject it to abuse.

      Delete
  6. Good job on the mileage in spite of the lost and freshly cleaned pedometer!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hoping to get in some more biking if the weather will just warm up 20 degrees or so.

      Delete
  7. That is hilarious. I have the same pedometer and the same problem--I have no idea where it is right now. I did better with it when I was working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit I laughed out loud when I saw all those steps recorded in the wash/dry cycles. I think Sharon & Karen got it right. You just have to establish a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool gadget for a cool person!

    ReplyDelete