Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Just Peachy

My grandfather, Jay Lattin, with my two
oldest, Johnny and Laura in the late '70s
My grandfather (born in 1890) used to use "peach" as high praise.  If you found the tool he'd been searching for or if you surprised him with a goodie from the kitchen, he'd likely say "you're a peach!" It always made me feel wonderful when he said that. I knew it meant that I was special, that I'd  met or surpassed his high expectations, and that he loved me. I thought that "peach" was especially apt for me, because I was born in Georgia!

So I've always felt good about peaches. It doesn't hurt that they are one of the best fruits on the planet. Why, you might ask, am I talking about peaches in January??  Because. Way back in August, when I was elbow deep in mouth-watering, juicy, wonderful peaches from our farmers' market, I started freezing some of them.  I used a very simple method that I found online and froze about six quart-size freezer bags of sliced peaches.

Add caption






One of the serendipities from my great freezer clean out is that I ran across those bags of peaches. This morning I decided it was time to have peaches on my cereal. The peaches had stayed wonderfully peachy looking during their stay in the freezer (no discoloration) and I was able to separate a few slices without having to defrost the entire packet. They were wonderful! Peachy Keen! And they made my (un)frosted mini wheats a lot more interesting. I'll definitely freeze more peaches next peach season and I'll definitely enjoy peaches on my cereal many more times until peach season comes round again.

The kiddos don't arrive for a couple more hours today, so I'm going to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a walk along the river. I haven't done that for a while and I've missed it. I may see if I can run a bit. Maybe so. The dizziness, awkward gait, and weakness that I've felt since my surgery 10 months ago are almost gone. Anyway, I'm going to go enjoy the day and rack up some serious steps on my pedometer.

Mileage for last week:  17 miles walking, 12 miles biking; 29 miles for a YTD total of 87 miles. Upping my daily goal on the pedometer again this week!  Oh, and I lost 1.4 at my WI last week.  AND, I finally got my Nike+ to work (by upgrading my Mac to Snow Leopard and Lion) and my little Nike+ avatar at the top of the right sidebar is moving again.

Hope your day is peachy keen!

22 comments:

  1. You are indeed a peach. Great job on the mileage! I think you're in first place, with the most miles.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we used to say "peachy keen."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and using "peach" to describe someone began in the mid 19th C and became very popular just about the turn of the century. Peachy Keen is more from our generation. I still like it, though!

      Delete
  3. We had many a peach tree in the backyard while growing up and I always loved when my mom would peel them for us - not a big "fuss" fan. Glad that you found a good way to enjoy peaches all year long!!! Congrats on the pounds down, too!!

    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have grown up in the south, although I guess my father had peach trees in his house here (northern VA). I think it's always nice to have someone "do" for you--your mom peeling peaches certainly counts.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the mileage. No walking or biking outside for me ... too icy, but I'm going to start up with the Nordic ski machine again. Today. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nordic Ski sounds just about right for the frozen land where you are right now. Hope you got your workout in.

      Delete
  5. I love peaches and I'm always saying "life's a peach" or "just peachy" Or "peachy keen". I guess it's my southern roots. My favorite great Uncle was a man of few words, but those were a few of his sayings also.
    Sounds like your week is going well. Hope it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your life is peachy keen just about now, that the kids are getting better and that your headache is a thing of the past.

      Delete
  6. My dad had a few peach trees in his backyard in so California ? Nothing is better than a fresh peach from a tree!, they look like they froze really well! Great weight loss, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did freeze well. I can't believe how much they taste like fresh peaches!

      Delete
  7. "Just peachy" is my go-to response when someone asks how I'm doing and I'm not doing so well. It requires a certain inflection, when stated. :)

    You had an awesome week! Here's wishing you a "chaser" to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard it used like that, too. You're right. I prefer the positive peach, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great old photo, Tish. 1890? Wow. And I didn't know you could freeze peaches that successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love having scanned a lot of our old pix. I rarely open the book albums, but I flip through the digitalized pix quite a bit. Much handier.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I'll have to do that this summer. I am missing the taste of peach!

    You upgraded your Mac without getting a new computer? How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I have a MacBook laptop--nothing fancy, it's 2 or 3 years old. I ordered the Snow Leopard disk from Apple and then downloaded the Lion upgrade from the Apple store on the Internet. It took a while, but it was a pretty simple process and has made a positive difference in my computing.

      Delete
  11. I used all my fresh peaches weeks ago. Now I've almost cleaned out all the strawberries. Hurry Spring! I need more fruit to eat and freeze. Hmmm....maybe this justifies a farmers market run to Florida. My mom says the strawberries are perfect this year!

    Good job at the WI - keep working. I really missed you while you weren't blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed blogging, too. I'm shooting to post once or twice a week, with interspersed visits to read and comment. I'm also going to try to use this cool "reply" button to respond to most comments.

      Delete
  12. Oh I love the story about your Grandpa. That is awesome!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandma used to praise us by calling us a peach too. And when something was wonderful - she'd say it was "the berries." Still high praise to be a little fruity!

    ReplyDelete