Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Kibosh

Here it is, Wednesday again, but I didn't go to my WW meeting, instead I went to see the doctor.  My weird feelings in my wrists, arms and legs had not gotten better and finally I decided I needed to be seen.  My appointment was this morning and I'm back home now.  Putting my symptoms into Dr. Google had yielded some fairly alarming possibilities.  My normally nice and low blood pressure was rather elevated when they took it.  The doctor sent me to have an XRay (looking for arthritis along the upper spine).  The head radiologist decided I needed an immediate MRI.  After seeing the results they wanted to do "a couple" more tests--so back into the MRI machine.  I'd never had one before.  NOT fun.  I was gripping that emergency buzzer for all I was worth, but didn't use it.  Then it was back to the doctor's waiting room preparing myself  for some bad news. But it was not too bad after all, compared to what it could have been.  It seems I have not one, but three herniated discs--neatly causing symptoms in my arms and legs.  I'm to make an appointment with the neurosurgeon ASAP (well, in military medicine that means--call on Friday).  Meanwhile, no running, no lifting weights at the gym, no bike rides and, I guess, no pogo sticks. 

Funny how much I'd love to go out on this beautiful day and take a run along the river.

He neatly put the kibosh on my exercise plan, but I'm sure I can continue to try to eat well and stay on plan.  That's my plan for right now.

Later,
Tish

14 comments:

  1. Take care of that back!! My husband just had a shot in his back because of 4 swollen disks that were bulging. He was in so much pain. His legs were going numb, on and on. It sounds like it is fixable and you will be back at it in no time. Don't rush it - perhaps you could swim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got a diagnosis. Please take it easy until you see what has to be done. Good girl to stay on plan! Hang in there, and please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to have a pretty good attitude about it! I hope you feel better soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least now you know the cause of the problem and can take steps to repair it.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - how scary! What does one do for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audri- Praying for a complete and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks friends. I'm going to be pampering myself for a bit here. It sure helps having your support, too. WT--I'm not sure what they're going to do. I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you heal and feel better soon. I know it sucks to be told NO NO NO to everything you love that has helped you get to wehre you are today, but resting your body and focusing on the other aspects of health are important. Hang in there sweet lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PHEW...glad it wasn't anything worse, although I know this news is not good news. I know you will take care of yourself and take it easy. Sending healthy vibes your way. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness. Hope it turns out of, but most of all I hope that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to have a diagnosis, that is the first step to being 100% better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness I am so glad you got in to see the DR. I am so sorry to hear this but like you said it could be much worse.

    Keeping you in my prayers and will check back for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh Tish. That is quite a diagnosis. I hope they can manage it medically and/or with physical therapy. You never had any other indication that anything was wrong?

    ReplyDelete