Tuesday, March 1, 2011

De-cluttering

Apple iPod nano 8 GB Pink (6th Generation) NEWEST MODEL
My little nano!
In some ways, I had a super day yesterday.  My plan was to tackle one room and to de-clutter it as much as possible.  The room is a spare room where my youngest granddaughter naps on the days I watch her and where the three out of town grandkids stay when they're visiting.  It has FIVE bookcases and is home to our children's books (remember I was a children's librarian for 20+ years--I love children's books!).  It also has a walk-in-closet that has been so jam-packed that it's been hard to close the door for years.  I clipped on my new nano (which I LOVE) and got to work.  Four hours later I had a dozen bags of trash, 10 bags of things for giveaway and a much better looking room.  I still have a crate full of "stuff" that I have to find places for, but I can actually take a few steps into the closet and now I only have 3 bookcases full of kids books.  Success.  (and more work to do on another day)


I need to take that valuable de-cluttering concept and apply it to some insidious habits that have crept into my eating.  Take yesterday.  We had a dinner invitation for yesterday night to a "fondue fellowship."  We had to go (don't ask) and we were the only guests.  I've just about cut cheese from my diet altogether--I don't crave it, it is quite high in calories, cholesterol, and salt and it wasn't too hard for me to cut it.  Well, fondue?  I recall the last time we had a fondue dinner (about 10 years ago)--masses of creamy warm cheese, wonderful bread cubes--good with or without the cheese, lots of wine, and mouth-watering warm, melty chocolate for dessert with strawberries and angel food cake for swirling.

I considered eating a mini-meal before we went, but I was at the airport picking up Johnny's family and got home just minutes before we had to leave.  So I was hungry.  Failure was certain.  How discouraging.  Wait.  When we got there I saw several plates of cut up veggies (broccoli, green beans, red peppers, tiny white potatoes).  It wasn't a cheese fondue!!  It was a broth fondue and we cooked our chicken and veggies at the table.  I probably ate 4 bites of chicken 6 green beans, 2 marble-sized potatoes, and 2 pieces of red pepper over the course of 90 minutes.  'Nuf said.  I need to get rid of the worry about those situations.  While it's good to pre-plan as much as you can, it's just one meal.  As it turned out, it was well within my plan.  I spent lots of needless worry envisioning fondue pots full of bubbling cheese.  Next time, I'll ask.  Wouldn't that have been smart?  I could have even worked around the cheese.  Instead, I just worried about it.

I didn't get my run done yesterday.  I put it off until noon and was getting dressed when I heard the first rumble of thunder.  It rained all afternoon with impressive lightning and thunder, so no run on the trail.  I'm heading out as soon as I push "publish post."  It's a bit cooler, but nice and sunny.  Week two of C25K today.

How about you?  Do you have any habits you need to de-clutter from your routine?

Have a good one!

7 comments:

  1. I had fondue this week at book club! It was the yummy high-fat cheese version. But I felt virtuous since I only dipped in the broccoli, cauliflower and apples and no bread or potatoes. And when the hostess said she had chocolate fondue next, asking if we wanted it... I was the first to say "no."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I de-cluttered on Saturday and it felt soo good! I have the same little iPod! I love it!So glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often feel like my life is just a constant shuffle of one pile of clutter to another. I think there are so many ways I need to do this. Surprisingly, the healthier I get, the more I am motivated to streamline and simplify my life. Maybe I'm realizing what my priorities should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had one of those Nano's for a month or so too. I love mine too! What do you like to listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. re my nano. I bought it a couple of months ago when I lost my 4th generation nano. It was love at first sight. DH found my old nano two days after I bought the new one. Now I have two! I actually use them both when I run, the baby square one to keep track of my steps and the old one to do the nike+. Andrew, I love to listen to audiobooks. I belong to audible.com and buy my books that way. Yesterday, while I de-cluttered, I listened to the latest Diana Stabenow book. I also have lots of playlists--mostly vocal music--classic 60s rock, opera, great choral works, and individual artists I favor (Eva Cassidy, Josh Groban, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also see a connection between clutter and unhealthy habits. That's an amazing picture. I easily have that much stuff to chuck. Need to get back on it!

    My recent effort is virtual decluttering. My DVR and emails (including news emails at work). I keep those for "when I have time", thinking future me will have time. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tish I am so glad to see you are back to blogging. I love to tackle the clutter once I get started. It's the getting started that is the hard part for me!

    How wonderful that the fondue was with broth, what a splendid idea.

    ReplyDelete