This is one of the beautiful places in God's world. The air is so fresh (and cool) and the scenery is breathtaking--or maybe that's my sea-level lungs, trying to adjust to this 8000 ft elevation. Anyway, we're having a great time. Here are some highlights of our day.
This little fella (we're pretty sure it's an Elk) is typical of the ones you see grazing around here. There were several small groups grazing nonchalantly in the town (Estes Park), busily eating in people's yards and in the town landscaping! I'd guess we've seen over 100 of them since we arrived around 3 this afternoon!
We took a short hike around this lake (Sprague Lake, in Rocky Mountain National Park) and spotted this guy (this was definitely a Moose) standing knee deep in the water, getting his afternoon fix of water weeds. I took several pictures and DH (who never takes pix) offered to venture into the woods at the edge of the lake. This is his picture, it's better--but don't tell him, okay?.
We snapped a picture for a family and they reciprocated by taking our picture. Their daughter "Indie" wanted to take one, too and we said sure (doncha just love digital cameras!). This is her picture of DH and me.
We ate at a local mom & pop kind of place that also offered game (buffalo sirloin steak and elk cutlets were on the menu) and frog legs. We chose this--and enjoyed it quite a lot. It's Rocky Mountain Grilled Trout with Orzo Toscano (rice pasta with artichoke, tomatoes, capers . . .) and steamed asparagus. Yummy. We eschewed the 7 layer carrot cake they had temptingly pictured on each and every table and picked up some of our favorite Latte Bars at Safeway.
This is the view from the parking lot at Safeway.
Oh, our one packing mishap?? An essential. Irreplaceable. We forgot to pack . . . . . . . . . . . . . . our scale! :-( I plan to catch a WW meeting on Wednesday in Colorado Springs.



I'm jealous!
ReplyDeletebreath taking! what a gorgeous place to be!
ReplyDeleteNice! I was in Estes Park w my husband in April!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/round/2010/04/26/numbers-21-30-of-100-things-that-make-me-happy/
Glad to see you enjoying yourself & feeling so happy - and scales don't get to come on vacation, silly!
Gorgeous, thanks for sharing, thanks for helping!
ReplyDeleteMary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
Oh Estes Park! We used to live in Colorado and I had a chance to stay at the Stanley hotel. Loverly.
ReplyDeleteOh! Beautiful views. And a moose sighting. That fascinates me. And thanks for pointing out the W.W. bars. I might get a few of those for the summer.
ReplyDeleteAnd (tee hee) I'm kinda glad you forgot your scale! You can do it--sounds like you're making excellent food choices. I love trout. Haven't had it in an age though.