Saturday, May 22, 2010

So sorry

I'm sorry if it was your car's tires that found the chocolate I threw out of my window when I was driving yesterday. Here's what happened.

My day started well. I did my C25K, folded a couple loads of laundry, and visited my father at his nursing home. Then I turned my attention to my dinner preparations. I needed to make a special dinner, a picnic dinner, because we had tickets to The Mikado at Wolf Trap. I decided to go to Whole Foods, a splurge, price-wise, but worth it for the freshness of the vegetables and the variety of great, unprocessed foods. I had decided to make a wonderful green salad. I found everything on my list (spring greens, a perfectly ripe avocado, tomatoes, radishes, corn on the cob, a bit of flank steak, two summer fresh rolls, snow peas, and some dates) except they didn't have any pine nuts. I love toasted pine nuts. I went to another high end grocery store, just to find pine nuts. I picked up a beautiful potted lavender on my way in the store, but they too were out of pine nuts. I was feeling frustrated and gave in to check out aisle temptatio
n and bought a small bar of dark chocolate (good for you, right?). I headed for yet another grocery store (I really do like pine nuts) and reached into the bag with the chocolate bar. It was a beautiful little package. I opened it and saw it was divided
into five sections. I'll have just one section, I thought. Three sections later I came to my senses. STOP this . I didn't trust myself to just leave it alone on the seat. I couldn't throw it in the trash because I was driving. Instead, I opened my window and threw the last two sections out the window. It was a warmish-hot day, I wonder if there was a lovely little puddle of expensive dark chocolate on the street as the day wore on.

Anyway, the rest of the day went really well. I got the salad all prepped (everything chopped and ready in separate little baggies) I got the picnic packed (tablecloth, plates, forks, the food, a big bowl). We got to Wolf Trap (a National Park center for the Performing Arts just outside Washington DC), had our picnic, and enjoyed the show. The tickets were a Christmas present from our son and his wife. The seats were front and center in the orchestra. The night was perfect--the performance was in a large hall with the sides open to the air.

Today's run was not perfect. I ran just after noon and it had gotten hot and muggy. I knew right away I was going to have a hard time. I had to walk during one of the 10 minute running sections. I'm going to repeat this day on my next run. And I'm going to remember to get out there early to avoid the heat. I have upped my weekly runs from 3 to 4 during this C25K. I'm wondering if the added day is a good idea. I've read that older runners shouldn't run more than a few days a week. I mix up my exercise with biking, weights, a little Wii tennis, and the running. I'm going to try to listen to my body and see if I still feel good about 4 days.

On my short term goal of drinking 8 cups of water, I have to admit I haven't done perfectly this week end. Yesterday I intentionally stopped drinking so much so I wouldn't have to get up during the show. I only had 5 cups. Today, I came downstairs to discover that my son had preempted my (big) pitcher with orange juice, so I tried to just remember to go to the water in the door of the fridge. I'm a few cups short now, but I'm drinking and will get them all in before I sleep. I've laid down the law that the big pitcher is MINE.

The morning scale is telling me good things these days. I weigh myself every morning, first thing, and write down the weight in a journal. I like it because it shows me trends. I've run across weight loss blogs where the bloggers record their avg weight for the past seven days (or something like that). I confess that I've got a nerdy love of numbers and graphs.

1 comment:

  1. I never drink enough and often moderate when I know I won't be near a bathroom:)

    Have you tried fitday.com? I have used it many times (now and past) to track my weight. You can make graphs. Also, lots of folks use spark or spark people. Not sure exactly which it is. But I am sure it does the same.

    ReplyDelete