Sunday, May 23, 2010

Weekend Wrap-up

This was a good week. I stayed on plan for the most part and any extras fell easily in my 35 weekly (extra) points. I kept to my goal of water drinking except for Friday when I cut it short because we went to a performance. My C25K is going well. I did the 20 minute run with no problem. Yesterday I walked a bit during a 10 minute stretch, but think that doing my run much earlier in the day (when it's cooler) will take care of that.

I am going to add a new goal this week. I want to work on my portions, especially those at dinner time. Late afternoon is my most vulnerable time when it comes to snacking, and if I manage to get through that unscathed, I'm really ready, hungry for dinner,
I plan great meals, but when I serve them, I'm always tempted to put just a little more XXXX (pasta, rice, chicken, you name it) on the plate. I want to get control of this. My plan is to plan a late afternoon snack--tomorrow it's a baby watermelon. I will also use a measuring cup to serve rice and pasta. I will use the WW visual guidelines to serve the veggies and meat (one serving = : a potato is the size of a computer mouse, meat is the size of a deck of cards, etc.) I'm motivated by my having lost well in the last few weeks. I CAN do this.

Do you have any tricks for reining in your portion size??
Please share!



5 comments:

  1. Ah the portion size problem! It's not funny though, because as you stated so well, portions can really be a downfall to those of us who are losing weight. I think your tips are good. I did a post last week on portion control. I think I called it "One of My Big Three"

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portion size at meals is not a problem for me with healthy foods. Now give me some pasta and I have a big problem! I do however have trouble with portions with snacks. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have multiple sets of measuring cups, and I still use them all the time to measure my foods out.

    I also have snacks almost as big as my meals--basically 5 small meals during the day. This seems to work best for me, but I think its difficult for people who live with others. Try to make your afternoon snack high fiber and protein, if you can maybe.

    Plus, it cracked me up that you threw chocolate out the window. That was something I did quite frequently on another weight loss journey a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that didn't work well. I didn't realize that I'd not be able to completely delete the comment. I had a typo and wanted a "do-over." What I meant to type was:

    Thank you ladies for your helpful comments. And yes, Diane I did read that post. That's probably exactly what got me started thinking about my own need to exercise more portion control.

    ReplyDelete