Friday, July 23, 2010

The Next Step

I keep learning things from my young'ns.  This is my granddaughter, E. She's J's big sister and she'll be three in October. She's looking at her bowl of cereal with a skeptical look because I've just told her that she doesn't need me to pour on some of the "sugar" from the little yellow packets that I always use on my cereal.  Those are Whole O's (basically plain cheerios from Whole Foods), a diced, ripe peach, and some skim milk.   (I know her parents don't add sugar, and certainly not artificial sweetener, to her food) She's into all things "grown up" now.  She wears "big girl" panties,  uses a spoon and a fork, loves sunglasses, uses the "grown up" toilet in preference to a potty chair, and eats her hot dogs whole, and not chopped up like "baby J" does.  She wanted to indulge in what she saw as another "grown up" habit--using artificial sweetener on her food.  I had to use my best persuasive skills to talk her into enjoying her cereal without Splenda.

I've known about my excessive love of sweets for many, many years.  My parents didn't buy the sugared cereals, but I knew where the sugar bowl was and always added three or four secretive spoons full to my plain cereal.  When I first began to try to lose weight (my HS years), I started using artificial sweeteners.  I've changed brands over the years, but I've always had them close at hand to give my foods the sweet-sweet taste I love. I use them on cereal,  in my coffee or tea, on grapefruit, and sprinkled on popcorn.  I tried Stevia, but didn't like the aftertaste. I buy Splenda packets in the biggest size (1000 packets/box) and always have an emergency ziplock-stash of them in my purse when we travel.  About eight weeks ago, in this post, I included a picture of a breakfast we had on a trip.  I was proud of the planning I'd done to eat a good healthy breakfast every day on our trip.  When I look at that picture today, I see a good breakfast with, probably, eight packets of added Splenda (on the cereal in a white heavy snowfall and, surely, sweetening up that Starbucks skim latte).  Even then, I noticed the obvious over-indulgence in Splenda and noted that some day I'd work on that bad habit.

That "some day" has arrived.  I could wait to announce a new goal for the new week of the Summer Diet Buddies challenge, but I'm not a "wait-until-Monday" person.  As of now, this minute, I will begin to give up my dependence on  Splenda.  I mostly use unprocessed foods, but I know that a few of my regulars  (like my beloved WW latte bars) use Splenda or Sucralose, I'll work on those later.  For now, I will reduce my added Splenda to two total packets per day.   I don't like coffee without sweetener, so this means that unless I'm willing to eat my cereal "au naturel" like E, I give up coffee.  I really like sweetener in my tea, too--aaak!   Maybe 1 packet for cereal and one for a hot beverage.  I can do this.  Watch me!

OT:  Head on over the Sharon's latest post for an interesting discussion on the challenges of weight loss for the "more mature" loser.  Lots of great comments.

Do you ever fall back on the "do as I say, not as I do" excuse in regard to food?

10 comments:

  1. I can give up the splenda on my grapefruit. I have given it up on my cereal. However, I too like it in my coffee or tea. I make LARGE iced coffees in summer. 12 oz strong coffee, 6 oz skim milk and 3 splendas and loads of ice. A mug of coffee would require 2 splendas and 2 creams. :D If I didn't use the splenda, I probably would use sugar and just cut back to every 3 days. For Lent I gave up on splenda and caffine and soda. That was a very long time! I wish you the best of luck! YOu can come grumble to me when you get frustrated, I will sympathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one packet in my tea. I drink Crystal Lite. I also like sweet things, but you win this one hands down! I love that you are tackling this tough goal and not waiting until Monday. Good for you:) I have read that for many people, artificial sweeteners are a bad diet idea because of the whole sweet taste thing making us crave more sweet stuff. But for me, sometimes I just gotta have my sugar-free pudding or the like. And I know lots of people who feel the fake stuff is bad for us. Probably. But I am going to keep my head in the sand on this one.

    I'll be cheering you on Tish! And I think your taste buds will adjust to a less-sweet sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a wait-until-Monday person either!

    Several years ago, even before I started losing weight, I stopped adding artificial sweeteners when I read that a teaspoon of real sugar only had 16 calories. I can manage cereal and tea with only 1 teaspoon, if it needs any at all. Like you, though, I do have a few favorite processed foods that contain Splenda or something else artificial. Since I don't have them daily, I don't worry about it too much. I consider it balance. :)

    I'm cheering you on for your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rotsa Ruck. I still use splenda. I might be able to get rid of it someday, but this is not that day. Still, I am conscious of it, and sometimes try to do with less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only flirtation with artificial sweetners was in my (many!) diet sodas. I gave those up this last Lent and haven't gone back. So I'm like Cammy and use the real thing when I use any sweetener at all (I mostly use maple syrup). Having to account for the calories made me really reassess my sweet tooth. Now, a lot of old favorites seem too sweet.

    So, good luck! I think you can learn to live happily with less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big Splenda fan, but in a pinch, I'll use the blue stuff. (What is that? Equal?)

    I've never said "do as I say, not as I do," but I've definitely heard it before. When I was learning to drive, my mom told me I had to wear my seat belt because it was the law.

    "But, Mom, you don't wear yours."

    Guess what she said? ... Wait for it ... Yep. There it was: "Do as I say, not as I do."

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have gorgeous kids cause you sure have darling grandkids! Not sure I could resist anything that sweet face asked of me.

    I gave up the added sweeteners several years ago and have never looked back. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

    Thanks for the shout-out to my post. Have gotten some great feedback including yours. I knew you were losing at a pretty good rate right now, but wasn't sure of your exact age. So glad you are bucking the trend - it's sure encouraging me and hopefully, others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big Diet Coke fan, a few years ago, I switched to Caffeine Free, however it still is Diet Coke. I am going to try to limit myself to one Diet Coke per day, maybe as an after dinner treat. The rest of the day I need to switch to water.
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could have written this post; (well, not the grandkids part or the ready to give up Splenda part) - I am a sweet-aholic. Love sweet stuff. I also tried Stevia and Truvia and thought they were awful - as you noted - with aftertaste. Splenda is the best by far. Good luck on your weaning process. Actually I have gone from 3 packets to 2 in my cup of Trader Joe's non fat Greek yogurt. A teensy bit of progress.

    Your granddaughter is utterly precious. I can't wait for grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post, Tish

    I came to give up artificial sweeteners in a similar way - even wrote this post about it almost 2 years ago :

    http://lowstressweightloss.com/blog/i-hate-splenda/262

    I think once you start eating whole foods, natural state your dependence on the foods you needed to make that first transition start to change.

    Years ago I was so proud to move from regular to diet soda. I went through a long time of drinking massive quantities of diet stuff. Now I have about 1 diet coke per year - always after I've forgotten that I don't like it anymore...

    I drink a ton of water and tea (unsweetened) lots of herbal teas too, and sparkling water

    And I've pretty much broken myself of all "sweet" habits except chocolate...

    ReplyDelete