Until I met the wasp (or maybe it was a bee--it wouldn't be still for an up-close inspection). At first I thought it was a leaf that had fallen from one of the nearby trees. I brushed it away. A few seconds later I saw something out of the corner of my eye. And then I heard a buzzing. The bee (or wasp) was focussed on me. It was flitting about around my head. Sometimes it would land on my hair. Other times it would dive right by my face without landing. I kept trying to swat it away, but it kept on coming. It was circling my head. I could see it in the sun shadows on the path. I didn't think I was going to get stung, but who knows. The irritation factor of the stinging insect, along with the constant buzz and attacks on my head made things miserable. I decided to sprint to try to lose it. No luck. My fastest pace for about 100 feet did not lose my new-found running partner. I wondered if it would leave me when I left its territory. Do bees/wasps have territories? We'd gone about a mile down the path together. I was seriously considering jogging up to the parkway and flagging down a passing car to try to beg a bug-free ride back to my car. Then I noticed another runner coming toward us. She was young and beautiful. A vision of loveliness. Long blond hair. Wonderfully slim (I always notice). She was attired all in spring-green--sport bra and the briefest of silken running shorts. She sported a tiny golden ring in her navel. She looked athletic, cool, calm, and collected. I felt hot, miserable, sweaty, tired, and bug-ridden. As she approached, I noticed a lovely cloud of spring blossom scent that travelled with her. I was envious. I wanted to be her. For about half a minute. Then I noticed that my buggy companion had apparently deserted me, preferring her cool, calm, collected and flower-scented presence to my own.
Moral of the story: Don't wear perfume on a run.



Hee hee, too funny that miss green shorts gets the wasp!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to let you know yesterday that I mentioned you in my post (yesterday's, not today) as my inspiration. You are!
This is too funny! I think we saw her on our way to the farmer's market the other day, but instead of attracting the bugs, we nearly choked on her perfume. Way too much scent for a hot and humid Saturday morning!
ReplyDeleteA few years ago, we took our bikes to the DC area and stayed in Alexandria. We rode those bikes all over everywhere. What an amazing network of bike paths. I'd love to ride the C & O Canal Path all the way from Maryland into DC someday. Your pic of the path along the Potomac reminded me of that trip.
FABULOUS story! Too funny. Thanks for all the great advice you left on my blog. I've never frozen rice before. I'll have to try that.
ReplyDeleteLOL! Oh that was funny, the ending I mean. I was worried about the outcome until the blonde beauty came along.
ReplyDeleteI'm really worried you weren't stung!!!!
ReplyDeleteIn Knowlton, Quebec, they're having big problems with deer flies, which buzz around your head. They're stipey, but sound more like flies.
Congrats on doing 6 miles, too! I do maybe 2...
Ha Ha. That is very funny.
ReplyDeleteAnd Six Miles! You are serious!
LOL! That is too funny. I am glad you did not get stung. GREAT job on the 6 miles!!
ReplyDeleteOh this cracked me up. Looks like a great place to exercise:)
ReplyDeleteHilarious! Looks like a gorgeous trail (stinging pests excluded). Nice job getting out for the run.
ReplyDeleteHaha you are such a great storyteller! I love it. Not loving the wasp so much, though....glad he found someone else to "bug." (lame attempt at humor!)
ReplyDeleteSo let that be a lesson to her! (And us!)
ReplyDeleteI once stepped on an underground yellow jackets' nest (17 stings!), so a persistent insect w/stinger always makes me nervous. That would not have been one of my more elegant moments. :)