Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rosemary, WI

I love the flavor of rosemary and have two very healthy bushes of it snuggled right next to the house.  Friends who live in the area are envious of my plants which don't seem to be affected adversely by our cold, snowy winters  or the hot, humid summers.   I have several recipes that feature my fresh rosemary--my favorites are roasted red potatoes, roasted pork tenderloin, and kebabs skewered on rosemary sticks.  Mmmm.  They  are flowering now with lovely, lavender-blue flowers that I happily include in any recipe.

I chose to feature rosemary today because it is also associated with remembrance.  "There's rosemary; that's for remembrance," to quote Shakespeare (Hamlet).  In the language of flowers, it was used in wedding arrangements to signify that the couple would remember their marriage vows.  It was also used in funeral arrangements to symbolize that we will remember the deceased.

I use it today for a much less serious idea.  I want to remind myself to remember the progress I am making.   I had what my leader calls a "maintenance practice week" this week.  At my WI, my weight was exactly the same.  Whereas I was very happy with that number last week, this week that exact same number has lost its shine.  I know, in my head, that this is fine, not a problem, and not a reason to give up or comfort myself with sugar, and that next week, or even the week after that my scale will show the progress I'm making.  For now, though, I'm hanging on to my rosemary thoughts.

I need to remember that:

I have lost 22 pounds since the beginning of May.
My skinny clothes are beginning to fit again.
I've lost inches from hips, waist, bust, thighs and arms.
I'm exercising for at least 45 minutes a day every day of the week.
I've adopted many healthy habits that are becoming part of the way I live.
The sport-bra thing.  :-)
I like catching glimpses of myself in the mirror and noticing that my face is thinner.
My BP is wonderfully low, both upper and lower numbers, without any medication.
I have run over 50 miles each month since May, and will run 70 miles this month!
The scale is "not the boss of me" and shouldn't and won't dictate my mood for the week, day, or hour.

AND, there are many, many happy, good, wonderful things in my life that have nothing to do with that number on the scale--this morning my BFF welcomed her first little granddaughter into the world.

Happy Birth Day, little Grace Elizabeth!

Thank you for listening, dear Bloggy Friends.   What happy, good thing do you remember to remember when other things try to get you down?



186.2

9 comments:

  1. those are all WONDERFUL things to remember! Awesome job with your weight loss and your running miles, you are doing terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so wise to really think about all the great things in your life. Congratulations to your BFF on her first granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful things to have remembrance of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great list! You have really accomplished a lot in that time. Good for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely list! Someone left a comment on my blog this week after my setback with the scale that reminded me that the numbers on the scale won't be going down forever. At some point you have to find success and validation for your healthy lifestyle outside numbers going down on the scale. That was something I'd never even thought about because I'd never had this much success before. You're on the right track with your list!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE rosemary too. When we moved into our new house last year it is one of the first things we planted, an herb garden with rosemary as a feature. I also love rosemary with salmon. Just a little olive oil, lemon and rosemary. Broil and YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rosemary too, growing up we had rosemary in our backyard, there were so large my Dad shaped them into hedges simialr to the boxwood hedges in Williamsburg. They created a room or barrier between the adult "sitting section" and the childrens' "playing section" of our yard.
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list!! You've done an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic list! You have SO MUCH to feel great about! My mantra is something along the lines of "It doesn't matter what I weigh; it matters what I DO." If I had done the things on your list, I'd be feeling mighty good right now.

    I have no scientific evidence to back me up, but it seems to me that quite often those stay-the-same weeks (when we've done the right things) are the body's way of hitting a reset button. The loss counter is cleared, and the body is ready to fight the next group of pounds. At least that's what I told myself. :)

    ReplyDelete