| My mother and her parents at the beach, 1921 |
We went to early church with my FIL at St. Andrew's Covenant Presbyterian Church, where my FIL went when he was a boy. Then back to pack up. I love how it's so much easier to pack to return home than it is to pack to GO. We left ourselves an hour to get in one last walk together on the beach. It really is a nice beach--flat, sandy, just enough shells, nice dunes, and very uncrowded. Here's one more picture.
DH put the things in the car and strapped on the bikes and we headed off to my FIL's apartment. He had invited numerous friends and family members to an "open house" between 12 and 2:30. He announced that he was serving tomato soup and didn't seem to want any advice to the contrary. I stopped by and picked up a vegetable platter and some spinach/artichoke dip at the grocery to round out the offerings. Apparently he'd rethought his menu, because in addition to the soup he had little dishes of nuts everywhere (honestly, I'd guess there were 15 nut dishes in his small apartment living room and dining area!) Have I mentioned that I'm a "nut" about nuts. I found them very hard to resist, and am sure that I overdid both my nut quotient AND my salt quotient for the day (week). Oh well. Lots of people came and it was good to meet them and to give FIL a chance to "show off" his family. We got off at 2:30--much later than we'd planned, but we got home by 8:30 or so with good traffic most of the way. Jay is a super traveler. I was fooling around with my camera and taking pictures over my head toward where he was sitting behind me. This one turned out pretty well! He was in charge of the big cooler on the seat next to him. We always travel with baby carrots, bottles of water, bananas, and apples.
| The wave breaking just behind us "caught" us and totally soaked my shoes! |
| Jay. I can't believe he'll be 29 next week! |
Let's just say that the scale was NOT my friend this morning. Lots of cups of tea and glasses of water today in addition to my regular eating routine. I loved having the babies come this morning. Ella was wearing a new little red corduroy dress. I said I liked her outfit. She replied, "Amie, this isn't an outfit, it's a dress!" Silly me. We had baked salmon and almond apricot couscous with mint for dinner. Then DH and I hit the gym for our strength training. We switched our schedule so that we go on Mondays now because we have our Messiah rehearsal on Tuesday nights in November.
I'm just starting to realize that Thanksgiving is NEXT week. Aaaaak! Did I mention that we're at 15 and counting for dinner that night??? (and 7 of them are overnight guests so I really have to get all my spare rooms spiffy--no piling up stuff in a "spare" room this time). Yikes. No playing games on Facebook this week. Oh, and yes. We're celebrating FIVE birthdays next week--I think we're having birthday pies at T-giving dinner. They're all clustered right around Thanksgiving Day.
I'm woefully behind reading and commenting on your posts. I've read more than I've commented, but I'm missing that exchange. It's part of my routine that works and I'm going to carve out some time to reclaim that part.
Take care.



Only one word to describe the picture of Jay. AWESOME! You tell him we said so!!
ReplyDeleteTrip sound like it was fun and glad you got back safe.
We have a birthday here too... biggie for my son. I was thinking of you last night as I struggled to come up with healthy recipes that would be yummy for the non-dieters at my mom's Thanksgiving. Any sides and desserts you would share?
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a nice trip. Enjoyed the picture of your grandparents. :)
ReplyDeleteEven scarier than Thanksgiving being next week, is that that means Christmas must be just around the corner!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great time! Love what comes out of the mouths of children. I hope you are keeping a journal of the cute things the Grandchildren say. My mom does this and it is so much fun to go back and read what they said when they were little!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!
I'm glad you had such a great time! (Now, get back to work! :))
ReplyDeleteI love the vintage pictures. What surprises me is how at ease they seem with the camera. I remember staying in the guest room at my grandparents house and seeing the dour expressions they had, clearly unsure of what to make of the camera.
ReplyDeleteAlso like the picture of Jay. Thanks for sharing.