Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wake up Call, Wi

Well, I had a week of ignoring my well-established diet and exercise routines.  Nothing over-the-top; I didn't eat any Halloween candy, but I had lots of little "splurges" every single day.  I craved brownies, for instance, and made a 1/16th recipe (two brownies).  Another day I wanted toast with my soup at lunch, so I made one piece (with butter), ate it and then made a second (and ate it, too).  I ignored my own advice and went out for Thai food on the  night before my WI, AND I had popcorn after that.  And so on. . . . I did exercise 6 days out of 7, but aside from one run and one good bike ride, the exercise was not great quality--I sort of phoned it in.  I'm here to tell you that that doesn't work.  I gained 5 pounds at my WI (and I don't even want to think about how many sticks of butter that adds up to).  My lovely little physicsdiet.com graph which was so nice and green now has an entire week that looks like the new Republican congressional map--all red.

Sooo, my WI was my wake up call.  Kind of like when we travel and have a plane to catch in the morning.  We ask for a wake up call.  I wake myself up pretty well and always wake up several times in the hour or two before the wake up call.  Then I drowse back to sleep for a bit more.  But when that telephone finally rings, I hop right out of bed and get to work.


Now is the time.  I'm awake.  I REFUSE to go back to that mindless kind of eating. I am "on track" so far this morning.  I just got back from taking E to school and tucked baby J in for his morning nap.  I'm posting this (part of my "on track" plan is keeping on blogging on most days), having my morning quiet time, and then doing my Sweatin' to the Oldies DVD.

My clothes still fit and, ironically, a couple people mentioned how slim I looked yesterday.  I'm turning the helm 180 degrees and heading this ship back safe waters and on a course to my goal.

Ciao for now

14 comments:

  1. Good for you! And I will be cheering you on.

    (Actually, this post sort of describes me for the last several days. Not off track, but not on track, either. Drifting, I guess.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you will be right back on track:) My biggest problem (maybe) has not been the little slips but that I let them turn into big slips. We can recover from the little ones. The big ones are harder. I can tell you that! And I applaud you for figuring out how to make that little bit of brownie to satisfy that craving:) Sometimes giving in with something small is the best way to avoid giving in with something huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As lousy as a bad WI is, it can serve as the best kick in the a$$ to get back on track. I chuckled at your noe on your exercise..."O phoned it in".

    Those extra pounds will be gone quickly with extra water drinking and getting all the other stuff back on line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about you on my walk, and thinking that if you didn't post today I was going to send out a search party!

    This line cracked me up: My lovely little physicsdiet.com graph which was so nice and green now has an entire week that looks like the new Republican congressional map--all red.

    And yes, I have to say that I was also impressed with your ability to make 1/16 of a recipe. I've been thinking about brownies and chocolate chip cookies a lot recently. Not as in, I want one. But as in, I consider them the ultimate in taste treats. I had experimented with both until I had the very best recipes in the world for both. I still think they are 'the ultimate.' But I rarely want one, or crave one. I think its because I have convinced myself that one will never satisfy me. They will only leave me wanting more. And the distress of that 'wanting more' is not worth the having one.

    Oops. Sorry about changing the subject on your blog...maybe I need to get busy and write one of my own. Glad to hear from you Tish, and I know you will get back on track. Healthy choices that's what its all about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for picking up and moving on rather than letting it get you down!! You can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tish, I love how you pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get yourself back on track! That's what I'm working on doing myself here lately! Getting back on track with my weight watcher's! You are definately an inspiration to me! I love your postitiveness!!

    Blessings,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recovery happens in sleep - not in the gym....
    So it's ok to rest...
    It's also good to get back on full steam ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Reader here. Five pounds is a lot in a week, so I bet a lot of it is water and you've already lost a lot and with your attitude you bound to lose the rest. Maybe you've shocked your body off the plateau. Good luck!

    ~Sheilah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job getting back on track! All of those little bites add up! Of course you know that 5 pound gain is a lot of water retention from the salt of eating out and the popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work keeping yourself accountable and moving back on track. Best part of the post was knowing you had a couple of GB in your day! Fantastic, Tish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we are going to have to come up with a "after we're together" plan before next time. We did so good with eating and exercise while we were together, but both have struggled since. What's up with that??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I nothing you admitted to equals five pounds so my guess it is already gone. Never again will you eat those 2 things before a WI. Lol. I missed you this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, one of THOSE weigh-ins. They'd be easier to handle if we'd actually had the 17,000 extra calories that equaled the gain. :)

    Good for you for using it as a catalyst and not turning it into a catastrophe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you've had a backslide. Glad you are back on track.

    ReplyDelete