Friday, November 12, 2010

Travel Notes: Vol III, Hot 100 Update

Cora and Henry Lattin, my great grandparents

Don't you LOVE this picture?  I was finding some old family pix to put up on my facebook page for Veteran's Day and I came across this picture of my mother's father's parents BICYCLING.  Look at her outfit!  Can you imagine trying to bike in a long skirt??  They were both doctors in Albion, New York--she was one of the first several women doctors to graduate from medical school in NY.  I think this picture is probably from the mid 1890's.   See:  biking is in my blood!

Another great day.  I'm starting to sound like a broken record, here, but yes, it was another great day today.
As is so delightful on vacation, we slept until we wanted to get up.  I got dressed in my running clothes, had a quick oatmeal breakfast (perfect for a crisp fall morning) and went out for a run on the beach.  It was beautiful and sunny, a little breezy, but not too cold.  My run was a bit haphazard because I hadn't thought to consult the tide charts and I think high tide must have been reached some time in the middle of my run.  That meant that the nice "hard" surface sand kept getting washed over by the breaking waves and I had to dodge little incursions of waves trying to reach almost up to the sand dunes.  We've established that running on the unpacked sand is not fun, so I did have a lot of walking parts.

The incoming tide taking up some of the best running space.


I went 5km and had a nice run.  A couple hours after I got back from my run we went out for our bike ride.  The ride I'd read about started in downtown Wilmington and went out along the Cape Fear river to the beach.  We saw the traffic and lack of bike lane and decided to catch the trail closer to the river.  We parked in a community and were able to avoid the city traffic.  We went about 20 miles and were back in 2 hours.  It was a good ride and we saw some beautiful sites along the river, but Wilmington needs to put a little more work into its bike trail system.  The "bike lanes" were marked, but were quite narrow and the road was uncomfortably busy with trucks breezing past us as close as two feet away.  

Here are some pix from our bike trip:
A nice park at the far end of our ride.

You can see the bridge in the back ground.



A very cute covered bridge across a marshy area to a very large home.

Our bike lane.
All in all a very nice day.  We went with FIL to visit some of his friends for a late afternoon tea (I had a cup of coffee and 2 small (wonderful) cookies.

We came back to our beach house and I made a fish chowder--from scratch.  It turned out beautifully and I'll definitely make it again.  I used skim milk and skim evaporated milk and the only "off plan" things in the recipe were 3 T of butter and 2 T of flour.  It served 8, so that's not so bad.  The cornbread I made was a different story, but also very good.  I'm hoping that my 3 hours of exercise will offset 2 small cookies and a large piece of cornbread.  What do you think??

Hot 100 Update: (the quick, I'm tired and off to bed as soon as I hit "publish post" version)

I have 3 goals:

1.  I lost .5 pounds at my WI this week.  I'm headed back in the right direction.  With a few indiscretions, I have been pretty much right on plan with my eating.  I continue to weigh and record my weight daily.

2.  I am way ahead on exercise this week.  6 out of 7 days and several days with 2 sessions.  No "phoning it in" this week.  Yay.

3.  Chocolate.  I'm enjoying my 1 oz a day allowance.  I admit to doubling up one day, but I didn't have any the next day, so I'm averaging out okay.  I'm trying to stay with my 1 oz per day though and be satisfied.

Be good!  Tune in tomorrow.

Tish




9 comments:

  1. I wonder what grandpa would think if he saw you and DH in your Lycra riding gear? What a great photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your goals Tish:) Love that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pic's!!
    And you are really inspiring me, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the pics, especially the grandparents. That's great! Congrats on doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week Tish! The pics are great too! I love old pics like this.

    ~South Beach Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning pics! And love those old pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photograph. Aren't you glad you don't have to wear a skirt when you are biking?
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture of your grandparents. And frankly, those look like pretty sophisticated bikes for the 1890s!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture! Yes, I think biking is in your genes. My hubby is from the Netherlands where they do a lot of biking as transportation. Many ladies where skirts (not as long and ornate as that one). They have a guard over the tire so your skirt does not get tangled in the tire. Works great. BTW: did you ever ride your bike in a skirt? It is fun! Love all your pictures! Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete