Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Two Good Days--Is that a streak??

I'm loving the new WW plan.  I looked it up online and followed it the best I could yesterday.  Today I went to my WW meeting and heard the official introduction.  It has come at the perfect time for me.  I'm feeling strong and confident about being able to stay on plan and reach my goal weight and I haven't felt that way for a month or two.  This is all good.

I think I mentioned that I'm going to do the new program "PointsPlus" as written for a few weeks at least, before I go back to my "CORE" (Simply Filling) variation.  This means that I can eat whatever I choose as long as I stay within the daily points allowed (29--everybody I've met has 29 which is the fewest number of points allowed--oh, except for guys--they get more--about 36 I think).  It also means I need to track points for everything I eat (as opposed to Simply Filling where I'll only need to track the non-power food points).  Power foods are what used to be called CORE foods and don't count against the 49 extra weekly points which they intend for you to use and I will use them.  Points on many of my go-to foods have increased a bit.  Fruit and veggies (except for starchy veggies--corn, potatoes, etc) are all 0 points.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to my favorite ever breakfast tomorrow--a soft boiled egg, and toast with ICBINBJ.  I'll have a nice cup of mint tea to round it out.  (2, 3, 1, and 0 points, respectively, for a total of 6 points.  I may splurge and have a nice chilled half pink grapefruit sprinkled with Truvia. (0 points!)    

I'm a convert to Truvia.  I had tried it once last year and found it bitter, but I read on a blog (one of yours?) that if it seems bitter it means you're using way too much.  I like it and it doesn't taste bitter at all. One packet is just right for the grapefruit though I usually like grapefruit without anything on it, too.  I especially like the way Truvia tasted "granulated" like sugar rather than powdery like Splenda.
For you viewing pleasure:  Laura with her three J,B&R and J&E
Tonight, for dinner, I made a new recipe:  Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spring Vegetables.  I know, I know, it's not spring, but I was able to buy beautiful fresh ingredients at Whole Foods and, believe me, this was wonderful.  The recipe is from the brand new WW cookbook:  Weight Watchers Points Plus Cookbook.  

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spring Vegetables

prep time:15 min      cook time: 30 min      Serves 4 

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed  (power food)
1 T chopped fresh chives (I used 2 T of finely diced shallots)
3/4 t salt
1  pkg frozen artichoke hearts (9 oz), thawed
1 pound baby potatoes, cut in half  (my baby potatoes were large-ish so I cut them in quarters)
1/2  pound asparagus, trimmed
1 c baby carrots
2 c small fresh mushrooms (optional, but very good!)
2 t olive oil
1/4 t black pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 475.  Spray large shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray

2.  Sprinkle pork with chives (shallots) and 1/4 t of the salt.  Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium high heat.  Add pork and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.

3.  Transfer pork to roasting pan.  Combine artichokes, potatoes, asparagus,carrots, oil, and remaining 1/2 t salt and the pepper in large bowl; toss to coat.  Arrange vegetable mixture around pork.  Roast, stirring vegetables once, until vegetables are tender and instant read thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 160 F, about 25 minutes.  Let pork stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 slices.  Serve with vegetables.

Per serving  (3 slices pork with 1 1/4 cups vegetables):
352 g, 293 calories, 6 g total fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 62 mg Chol, 549 mg Sod, 31 g total carb, 3 g total sugar, 7 g fib, 28 g protein, 57 mg calcium.

Okay, today's WI.  I gained 1.6 from two weeks ago.  It's okay.  My morning weight this morning (after 1 day on the new plan) was down 1.4 from yesterday morning.  And it's going to be down again tomorrow and way down next week.  I'm very confident.  Do you remember this great post  from Charlie about the On/Off switch?  My switch has apparently toggled back to ON!  Two days may not constitute a streak, but just keep watching.  I'm going to DO this.

I put the turkey wings into my crockpot with an onion, some peppercorns, a bay leaf, celery, and a couple of carrots.  The beginnings of a(nother) good turkey soup that I'll have on hand for the next few days.  (broth--0 pts,  2 oz turkey--2 pts,  carrots--0 pts,  celery--0 pts, onion--0 pts, 1/4 c cooked barley--1 pt, mushrooms--0 pts)  Three points for a bowl of great turkey soup.  YES!  Did I mention that I cooked a 27 pound turkey???

I have been tagged twice with the question quiz.  I will work on that while the kiddos are napping tomorrow.  I am also really missing spending time on your blogs and that's the other thing I want to do tomorrow.

Thanks for your good wishes for my Dad.  I went to see him today and spent about an hour singing to him (Christmas hymns which I know he loves) while he slept--his pain meds keep him very sleepy.  I saw his leg and the site of the break doesn't have any bruising and the swelling has almost all gone. His pain is being well controlled and he seems comfortable and they report that his appetite is good.  

I had a short session with the exercise bike this morning--I don't love it, but it beats the rain, wind, and very chilly temps outside today.  I think I may go upstairs now and do my 10th kettle bell session.  I'm looking for those guaranteed results right after!  :-)

G'night.




186.4
hoping the light color makes the gain less noticeable!


8 comments:

  1. I haven't ever tried Truvia, but I've heard about it. Is it the same as Stevia? I know that's a form of natural sugar as well.
    Your recipe looks really good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried Truvia. I use splenda and sometimes think I should cut out artificial sweeteners and see if my taste buds will adjust to unsweetened drinks and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm a Truvia fan. I have a huge bag of Splenda to use up, and after that's gone I think I'll just stick with the Truvia.

    Thanks for sharing that recipe - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried Truvia yet. I'm currently using "Sun Crystals", which is stevia with a smidge of sugar. I don't sweeten anything except coffee, so I'm only adding 10 calories a day.


    And yes, two days IS a streak! Keep adding to it and you'll have a trend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that "on-switch" post; it was great and SO true. Haven't tried the truvia either. I did splenda for a while, but I don't add sugar to anything but baking and I don't bake much or eat much that I bake, so I go with the regular stuff. (I'm leaving diet coke out of the equation.) Love the picture of your daughter and all the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have Truvia but I use the stevia drops from Nunaturals and I love it!

    Prayers for your dads recovery and healing. What a sweet daughter you are to sing to him!

    Sounds like the new WW plan is working great for you! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might have to try that truvia. I didn't like it the first time I tried it and I never gave it another chance.

    Yes, you are on a roll! Go Tish Go!

    And thank you for sharing that recipe. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing more family pictures with us. I also have not tried that truvia, but may after your review. Keep enjoying those babies! All else can wait.

    ReplyDelete