The cooped up feeling led to my old enemy Mr. Munch making his presence known. I ate my good breakfast and my good lunch, but was sorely tempted by the kids' pretzel sticks and E's peanut m&ms (a potty training reward). Fortunately my pantry is swept pretty clean of some of the big players in the bad snack department, but I remembered that there is a stash of York peppermint patties (reader beware, don't fall for the Costco size box, like I did). I started remembering how much I enjoy popcorn, too. By the end of the afternoon, the score was Mr. Munch -1, Me- 0. DH got home, I fixed our nice OP dinner and we went to the gym.
I felt disheartened by my succumbing to emotional eating, but was able to climb back onto the high road and it's yesterday's news, not today's. I totaled up the points of all my munching and was somewhat consoled to find that I ate only about 7 points worth. Not everything I ate was a bad food (popcorn's okay, and the piece of whole wheat toast is okay, too), but I want to be more in control of what I'm eating. I get to choose and plan, not Mr. Munch. Do you hear me, MM?? Hit the road.
My weight this morning had a little blip up, but I'm sure it will go back down. I did a 3 mile run first thing and DH and I plan a long bike ride after dinner tonight. I drew strength from reading your blogs (thank you, thank you) and I did a little reading in Refuse to Regain
What do you do to recover from off-plan eating?



Mr. Munch is dangerous to be sure. I told a friend who struggled with this two weeks ago that it took me a LONG time to not react to frustration or boredom with food. Like years. But when I did eat too much I just got right back on my plan and didn't let it start me down the path to regaining all my weight. Don't let it get you down!
ReplyDeleteSo THAT's what that guys name is. At least now I know what to call him. I was using a way more profane word before now. The way I see it, recognizing that I'm eating out of an emotional response deserves a lot of credit. Before, I wouldn't have realized it. At least you knew that's what was going on and you made some decent choices. Then you stuck to your plan and went to the gym.
ReplyDeletePlus, I try to plan ahead for times when I know the munchies might strike or if I wake up in one of THOSE moods. I just plan a couple of extra healthy snacks.
Oh, I'm sorry you had a bad day! I hope today was much, much better! And good for you for recognizing what was going on with the snacking. Sometimes, that's the hardest part. :)
ReplyDeleteExercise,exercise, exercise...my temptation is homemade chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. I could eat them ALL.
ReplyDeleteMary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
I used to have this awful habit of getting up to eat something whenever I'd be stalled on a project. It got so bad that I was getting up and eating something for something as simple as trying to think of the right word to write. The biggest problem was that it worked, but I soon realized that it was the getting up and walking around that solved my problem, not the eating. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's just a matter of moving on. You can't beat yourself up about it, because that does no good at all. Just really look at why you ate and think about ways you can change that in the future.
ReplyDeleteOne afternoon of snacking can't undo all your hard work (even though it seems like it sometimes). You just need to get back on track as soon as you can.
You have a great attitude about moving past your rough day!
ReplyDelete