Thursday, June 3, 2010

Temptation

I grew up knowing those familiar phrases from the Lord's Prayer: " . . .lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil . . . ." Those phrases really spoke to me today.

You may know that DH and I are wrapping up a trip to Colorado. He had a business conference Wed pm through Fri, but we came on Sunday and have been having a marvelous time exploring this beautiful state. You may also know, that DH (who is a WW lifetime member) and I planned pretty well so that we could stay on plan with diet and exercise during this trip. And, you may have read, in my last post, that I found a WW meeting and bagged a 3.6 pound loss yesterday.

All well and good. So today was the first full day DH was involved with his conference. I slept in and enjoyed my strawberries and cereal breakfast on the deck outside our room overlooking a lake and a mountain. (Cheyenne Mountain Resort gets 4 stars in my book!). Then I spent some time reading in the blogosphere. And then I got my wonderful day. I drove to a very nice mall I'd spotted and got a pedicure (my very first, but surely not my last!). By then it was near lunchtime and I went to a California Pizza Kitchen and (despite nagging temptations from the pizza pages of the menu) I managed to order a nice grilled chicken salad (the Moroccan) with roasted butternut squash, cubed beets, dates, and sliced almonds . . . dressing on the side. When the waitress asked if I wanted a half portion, my immediate thought was "NO!," but I asked how big it was and she said the half portion was plenty. And it was. Victory. I firmly closed the menu on the dessert section (this was lunch time, after all). Then I had another treat. I went to the movies. By myself. I saw a chick-flick (Letters to Julliette) that I'm sure DH would have politely watched, but not enjoyed. There were about 100 people in the theater, all women. And I walked right past the popcorn/candy counter that had the not-so-subliminal suggestion in screaming huge letters, "Buy some goodies! Eat while you watch the show!"

DH and I rendezvouzed at the hotel about 4:30. He wanted to go work out in the gym. I should have gone too, but I didn't wanna. I like my own gym, where I know the machines and the right settings. [Whine] So I stayed in the room while he went to work out. Bad decision. I was leafing through the info in the hotel notebook and noticed the gift shop. I also noticed that it stocked "goodies." What is it with 'goodies' today??? I lied to myself that I might buy something for the grandbabies and went to check out the gift shop [read 'goodies']. I could use a walk, right? I made a show of looking at the t-shirts in the small sizes, but I was really looking for the candy. There it was, they had Snickers, M&Ms, Reeses PNButter Cups, and bags of chips, my favorites. WHAT was I doing?? I threw myself out of the door and walked back to the room. Why is it that I was feeling on-top-of-the-world yesterday with my weight loss, my rediscovered self-control, and today I'm flirting with devil-candy??? And the day was not yet over.

At dinner, DH had an official dinner (to which I was not invited). I knew from the beginning that this was true and tried not to feel left out. I'd had a great pamper-myself day. I made plans of my own for dinner. I'd go to Macaroni Grill. I knew I could get an OP dinner there and there is one close to our hotel. I got there, got seated, and managed to stave off the (mouth watering) warm bread with olive oil. I nipped it in the bud when the waitress started to pour the olive oil into a dish on the table. "I won't be having any bread." Yay me. Bread is NOT my friend. I feasted on the menu discriptions and flirted with the idea of throwing my plan away, just for the night. They have pizza on their menu, too. I had asked for a make-your-own pasta form when the waitress brought the menu. That was my go-to, safe plan. I did it. I ordered a whole wheat pasta dish with veggies & chicken, and a green salad. Hold the croutons, hold the cheese, EVOO based dressing on the side. The waitress asked if I had allergies. "No, I'm a weight watcher," I answered. After that, there was no way I could give in to the desserts. I escaped! I think I've made it through the day. I'm home. DH is watching the end of a playoff game while I write this, then we're going to the heated pool (overlooking the mountain and the lake) and the pool-side hot tub before we sleep.

I hate temptations. I'm not good with temptations. I'm weak. Thank you Lord, for seeing me through today. Please, don't let me fall prey to temptations tomorrow. Or the next day.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, Tish. I'm not sure I would have fared as well with that many temptations in one day. You sure did good. It is weird how we can be in absolute complete control one day, almost forgetting that we ever had a problem, and then it all comes screaming back at us. Aaagh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. What I found is that when I was tempted again (and you will be) the fact that I had resisted before made me more likely to resist again. I knew I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did PHENOMENAL yesterday! I'm so very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! You had a great day of staying on plan. so many temptations and yet you didn't stray. Some days it is easier than other days.

    I have had that salad at CA Pizza Kitchen and it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making it through a movie when everyone is chowing down around you is a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete