Monday, June 21, 2010

Spring Focus Update

Sarah started this timely challenge at the beginning of May.  Her timing was perfect.  I challenged myself to lose 12 pounds in two months and have set myself several behavioral challenges as well.

Weight Challenge:  I have lost 15.8 pounds (at my Weight Watcher weigh-ins on Wednesdays) since May 4th.  This is an astonishing rate of weight loss for me.  I attribute it to, surprise, surprise, diet and exercise.  Things are looking good to lose a bit more before the end of the challenge.

Eating:  Believe me, I AM eating.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I'm using the WW CORE (Simply Filling) plan which I understand is quite similar to the South Beach plan.  This is the way I plan to eat--forever.  It makes a lot of sense and DH likes it too.  We have eaten this way for two years.  It's very "doable." Each meal, for almost two months has been basically on plan.  I have vacationed away from home and celebrated family occasions and eaten out occasionally during that time.  It took planning, but I feel like I ate like I wanted to eat.  A very "clean" diet.  There have been a few 'off-plan' things during that time--like a shared dessert on our anniversary and a handful of almonds on a cross country plane ride, but by and large, I have stayed OP (on plan).   I have deliberately eaten more fish than I used to (cutting down to 1 or fewer red-meat meals/week).  I also stopped having dinner left-overs for lunch the next day.  Instead, I plan a lighter lunch, without a starchy food.   I normally eat 6-7 fruits & vegetables/day and I eat plenty of fiber (from the fruits & vegetables, whole grain cereal in the morning, and whole grain pasta or brown rice with dinner).

Portion Control:  I spent a couple weeks checking on my portions by weighing and measuring.  I found that I was (surprise, surprise) over-estimating.  I think this was a good exercise, but I'm back to estimating--I hope more realistically.   I'll repeat the portion checks occasionally in the future to keep myself on track.

Drinking Water:  I started this at the beginning of the challenge.  I regularly drink 8+ cups of water a day now and will continue this.   I benefit from feeling full.  I especially need this in the summer as I need to rehydrate after exercise.

Exercise:  For the past two weeks I've challenged myself to exercise every day.   DONE!  I run four or more miles 3-4 times a week (if it's very hot, like today, there are some walking  bits interspersed).  I bike 13+ miles two or three times a week.  If I've run very early (like today) I may bike after dinner.  I also lift weights (resistance) at my gym two or three times a week.  If I haven't done any of these things (it's happened once in the past two weeks), I will exercise with my Wii (tennis or yoga). 
     This Week:
     Mon--Run--4 mi
     Tues--Gym--20K lbs
     Wed--Run--4 mi
     Thu--Gym--21K lbs
     Fri--Run--6.2 mi
     Sat--Bike--14 mi
     Sun--Gym-22K lbs,  Walk--2 mi
     Mon--Run--5 mi

Eating Slowly: A little over a week ago, I decided to try to eat more slowly.  I'd heard the suggestion before and was quite aware that I was a speed-eater, but I'd never really tried.  I limited my challenge to eating dinner.   This has been a real eye-opener.  It was hard, at first, but I have been able to increase my average eating time (10 minutes is a generous guess of how long I took to eat dinner).  For more than a week, I've taken 15 or more minutes to eat dinner.  The benefits are 1) I feel more "normal" eating more slowly, 2) I enjoy the food more--savoring flavor, texture, mouth-feel, and taste,  and 3) I have more of a chance to hear my own signals that I am "full."

















11 comments:

  1. I need to work on the eating slowly for sure. My life seems to busy and hectic that even when I have time to eat slowly, I tend to shovel in the food too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weight loss is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the weight loss. It makes me think of people I've met who say they can't lose, but when they make certain changes they can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on fire, girl! Keep up the good work. Your exercise schedule is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing such an awesome job! I personally have bombed the challenge. Time to follow your example.

    BTW - I dreamed about scallops last night. Must be thanks to your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've done an awesome job. Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Tish on a job well done!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tish, you are an INSPIRATION!!!

    I have learned over the years that a week or two of weighing and measuring is always eye-opening - I estimate most of the time, but those little reminders of "reality" help keep it real.

    I love that you've found a way of eating that is working for you now, that you enjoy, and that you can see yourself sticking with forever. It works for your life, and you know how to adapt it. That's success. I finally found that last year, it's been a huge relief. I still need to pay attention of course, but I don't have to WORRY about it.

    I suspect all the things you're doing have helped you, but the daily exercise & intensity of C25K have helped push your metabolism into high gear!

    Really, it's so great to see that this can be done, and not by some 135 pound 18 year old who wants to weigh 125 either! (I mean, you're REAL!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say you've found your way! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are planning your diet and trainings, check out this blog: militarygradenutritionals.com/blog. For me it's an excellent source of information on fitness and right nutrition. I've learned there a lot of things which helped me organize my trainings and eating habits.

    ReplyDelete