In retrospect, I did pretty well staying with my plan while we were away. As is always the way with traveling, meals were a bit tricky. My lovely daughter, Laura, knows I'm "watching it" and cooked fairly reasonable meals while we were with her. She even stocked up on my favorite WW Latte Bars! The eating up at the beach (west coast of Vancouver Island, Canada) was full of land mines--homemade molasses cookies, long cocktail hours with fancy drinks for the grownups, at least 5 bags of chips on the shelf at all times, 2 s'more cookouts, high fat beach burgers, and not one, but three birthday cakes (for me) in different flavors they know I like. I did have some of those goodies--half a cookie, No chips (!), small slivers of each type of cake, none of the fancy drinks--totally not worth the calories!, a beach burger on a lettuce "bun," and . . . NO s'mores. It was easy to resist the first time. I just told myself I could have them, if I wanted to, on my birthday. Then, on my b-day, I'd just had small pieces of cake and decided to go on a sunset beach walk with DH, instead of having a second dessert. Here's the dinner I cooked. That's Pacific salmon straight off the boat, corn on the cob, and new potatoes. No greens as there was nothing green (even frozen) except iceberg lettuce at the little local co-op. The cherries in Seattle were awesome, and also about half the price of the ones I bought here, today. 
I was also able to keep to my goal of exercise. DD took my sister and me along to her Zumba class twice, I ran on the gorgeous Seattle area bike trails several times, we hiked, and, when all else failed, I walked laps on the 3 hour ferry ride and at the airport. These beautiful ferns were about 4 miles into our July 4th hike through a gentle rain to the gold mining ghost town of Monte Cristo.
This visit was not without excitement from the local fauna. This young bear was happily roaming on the beach, about 20 feet from the hiking trail we were on in the Pacific Rim National Park. He posed very nicely for pix. He was not there when we returned and we kept the children close while we wondered where he might be! I failed to snap a picture of the wasp that decided to sting me on the arm as I tried to make my way through a very narrow path through some wild rose bushes. All things considered, I decided to leave the path to the wasp.
I went to my WI last week (in Seattle) and had another stay the same week. Disappointing. Today, though, I scored a 2.8 loss! Down 30 from my starting weight of 218.2. Nothing like a little success to fire my burners!
I joined DietBuddyDaily's Summer Diet Buddies--see logo at right. Join us, we've just started! My goals for the next 8 weeks are:
I'd like to lose at least 12 pounds in this 8 weeks. I'll measure my weight by my WW weigh-ins, which are on Wednesday.
Other goals are to keep up some of the habits I've developed over the last two months-
*Drinking 8+ cups of water daily
*Exercising 45+ minutes daily (running, walking, hiking, Zumba, biking, & weight lifting)
*Eating more slowly--taking at least 17 minutes to finish dinner and never again being the first "clean plate kid" when in a group.
*Keeping my portions in control
*Eating small meals a breakfast and lunch, with a major meal at dinner time.
Not eating pasta, rice, or potatoes at lunch time.
*Drinking 8+ cups of water daily
*Exercising 45+ minutes daily (running, walking, hiking, Zumba, biking, & weight lifting)
*Eating more slowly--taking at least 17 minutes to finish dinner and never again being the first "clean plate kid" when in a group.
*Keeping my portions in control
*Eating small meals a breakfast and lunch, with a major meal at dinner time.
Not eating pasta, rice, or potatoes at lunch time.
If you've read this far, sorry for this long post! I'll be better about posting shorter posts more frequently.
How are you keeping yourself on track this summer??

188.2



Welcome home Tish! You did amazingly well on your vacay! That salmon looks amazing. I still remember the salmon dinner I had in Seattle almost 40 years ago!
ReplyDeleteAnd that bear. Well, I am just plain scared of bears. He is very healthy looking.
Your grandkids are darling, and I love the 8-11-14 plan.
I am so glad you are home! Missed ya! Sounds like a wonderful vacation.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a good time! You did a good job with the food and exercise. I would have been scared out of my mind at that bear. I think I would have had to leave. Seriously!
ReplyDeleteYou did so well on vacation! I am going to try to channel you for my upcoming lake days. Sounds like you had a great time and I love the pictures:) Glad to have you with us on the challenge.
ReplyDeleteWhat adorable grandkids!! And that salmon, my whole body salivated and it's only 7 a.m. As for the bear, I hope he's on vacation from the Smokies and is one less I'll have to watch for on Saturday when I hike. Sounds like a great trip and wow!, what success on your eating plan. Congrats!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Tish! Glad to see you back. maintaining on vacation (and ending up with a loss at home) is a HUGE accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself. You're doing awesome.. simply awesome. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had such a great visit with family! That's always rewarding! And how blessed were you to have THREE birthday cakes! Definitely trumps s'mores! :)
ReplyDeleteTish you did so well with all the food temptations! Three birthday cakes!!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back it looks like a lovely time with your family. Job well done!
Great pictures, I love the one of the kids and the one of the bear! Congratulations on keeping up your weight loss goals, you have a lot to be proud of!
ReplyDeleteMary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
Gosh that bear is so close it's scary! We saw bears last summer in Sequoia - it was awesome, I think I'll never forget that!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had such a nice trip, and that you've joined me here in the 180s! Hoping you pull me along with you into the next decade...
I love the way you've organized for the grandkids to come visit. When I was 11 and 13 I spent several weeks in the summer w my grandparents (who lived across the country) and it was a great experience, and made me feel so much closer to them. I was one of 3 kids at home and that alone time w my grandparents was really special, I never was the only kid at home w my parents. I remember so clearly helping my grandma make cookies and my grandfather's vegetable garden. I'm sure the time you spend w your grandkids like this will stay w them for a long time!
I am SO jealous of the 188 ... that is my next goal. You totally deserve it, though, with as well as you have done with all your temptations ... congratulations!
ReplyDeleteIf I get some time in the next couple of days, I might try to come up with some goals. Right now it's primarily ... don't eat crap and keep moving.