Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bike Holiday, Continued












Church of the Holy Trinity, Oxford, Maryland
Gosh, today is even more beautiful than yesterday, if that's possible.  The high temperature reached the mid 70s.  It's sunny, with a slight breeze, and beautiful wispy clouds in the bright blue sky.  We got up in time to get to early church.  This beautiful little church is a short, 10 minute walk from our accommodations.  The bright sunshine showed off the pretty blue rose window to best advantage.    When we're traveling we usually go the the nearest church that best suits our schedule.  [I think I read that that's what Billy Graham and his wife did when they were traveling and it has worked well and taken us to some wonderful places over the years.]  Anyway, today we hit the jackpot.  Great message, good music, welcoming congregation.

We had another great breakfast.  This time I got fried eggs, easy over, wheat toast and coffee.  I considered getting my usual cereal, but their cereals were all sugared and I haven't had a fried egg in ages, anyway.

We took advantage of the great weather to get in another bike ride.

This route is 38+ miles as mapped, but I didn't want to tempt fate (or annoy my muscles) by pushing it quite so hard, so we cut out the the first segment and all but one of the side trips for a ~26 mile ride.  We started about 12:30 and rode for about 2 1/2 hours.  We only stopped about three times, for water/snack breaks.  There were beautiful water views and, again, very nice wide bike lanes and roads frequently signed to remind drivers that they need to "share the road."  I neglected to bring the charger for my camera batteries, but I took a few pix with my phone.  I've had the phone for a few years, but have never purchased the software necessary to transfer the pix from the phone to my computer.  You may (or may not) see the pix later.

Smith Island Cake
We did not reprise yesterday's visit to the Highland Creamery, although DH just came to find me (in the wi-fi-friendly part of the Inn) and see if I wanted to go.  Undecided.  He's reading the sports section of the paper.  We'll probably just take a walk and skip the ice cream.  Desert is included with our dinner . . . .   In the comments to my last post, Debby mentioned gaining 10 pounds once while at a vacation spot with menus such as they have here.  I'm hoping not.  I brought the scale along [you KNOW I always travel with my scale, daily weigher that I am] and seem to be doing okay.  I'm trying to order wisely, enjoy what they have, and follow Sarah's plan of "renoncement"--tasting, but not eating every single bite of everything on my plate.  DH was willing to make the sacrifice and finish half of my Smith Island cake last night. LOL

Karen, you asked where this place is. Click on the Bike Map link in yesterday's post for some very good maps of the area.  I think you can click on the individual maps to enlarge.  Basically, it's in Talbot County, Maryland, on the eastern shore. This is on the Chesapeake Bay side, not the Atlantic Ocean side.  The inn where we stayed is the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford, Maryland.

We're off to take a walk.
















10 comments:

  1. You are doing so great staying at an inn that provides meals and holding steady. I'm like Debby, would probably gain 10 pounds. Course who knows how many calories you are burning. LOL!

    Just curious..when you and DH travel, does your son stay at home? I was just thinking about him today and if he does stay home, I bet he really misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending this to my hubby right now. To add to our travel someday list. All that riding should help with any extra vacation calories, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you are getting in such good exercise. I heard of that Smith Island cake somewhere else. Makes me want cake again LOL.

    You have encouraged me to try visiting churches when I travel. I usually feel too intimidated to go someplace new, but that is ridiculous. Next time I'm gone on a Sunday, I'm gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that I'm not the only scale obsessed person around! However, you've obviously more influence in your family than I do because when I announced that I wanted to take scales away on holiday, I wasn't allowed !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're having such a good time! I'll be in Maryland in October and may check out this area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful holiday! Beautiful church and cake!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, we invited Jay to come, but he is very much a creature of habit and much prefers his well established routine to travel. We left him with a well stocked fridge. He likes being home by himself, I think, but was glad to see us when we got home. Our other son lives close by and came to check on him while we were gone and brought him his favorite Five Guys takeout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an amazing trip so far! Congrats on the biking. Did you know biking for 26 miles is about like running 8?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything about your trip ... the inn, the biking, the desserts! I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tish,

    Where are you? I know you said you were going to cut back on posting, but I'm suffering through withdrawal!! I miss you! Hope all is o.k.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete