Sunday, September 12, 2010

Lazy Sunday

Today was a really relaxed day for me.  I slept late, but we got to church in time for choir practice.  When we got home after church, I read the paper, made my usual cottage cheese & fruit lunch and messed around on my computer.  Our Internet connection was out for part of the afternoon and you'd think I'd have gotten something accomplished, but no, I "whiled away the hours."  [name that tune!]

I made another old favorite for dinner tonight.  Osso Buco in the crock pot.  I think having dinner cooking all day so that it's ready at meal time sounds like such a good idea, but honestly, I don't like most meats cooked in the crock pot.  Except for this recipe.  It's a winner.  I first had Osso Buco when we lived in Italy.  It's basically a fall-off-the-bone beef stew.
Osso Buco


I also made a big green salad with my own vinaigrette dressing.


Big Green Salad with Avocados, Tomatoes, Pine nuts and Vinaigrette Dressing


I'm thinking about trying a new exercise class tomorrow.  It's sponsored through our church and is, essentially a Christian yoga.  I talked to the teacher today and think that I may go tomorrow just to see how things go.  I'll have to get up an hour earlier than normal to get my Monday run in.  Even if the class is great,  I need to see if the timing works out with my schedule.  It seems like it will be sort of tight, getting back to be here when J&E are dropped off.  We'll see. I don't want to over-extend myself, but I like the idea of the class and a couple of friends are planning to be there.

Our local guys are playing the Big Bad Cowboys as I type this.  It seems we're ahead--so far, but our team has been remarkably consistent in losing in the last play or two over the past couple of years.  GO Redskins! It would make DH really happy.  But I think there are a few of you who are for the Bad Guys.  No?  :)

Well, I still need to exercise today and, I think I can safely leave the rooting for the home team in DH's capable hands.  I'm off for a date with my Kettle Bells.  [do you still call it Kettle BellS if there's only one weight??]



I could while away the hours conferrin' with the flowers consultin' with the rain . And my head I'd be scratchin' While my thoughts were busy hatchin' if I only had a brain.  
Sung by the Scarecrow, from the Wizard of Oz


Be good!  







This recipe is from the WW cookbook "In Good Time--123 Slow Cooker Recipes to Come Home To."

You could put this together in a large pot with top and let it simmer (on low) for several hours if you don't have a crock pot.  
I put the things together in the  crock pot the night before and put it in the fridge, to be popped in the next morning. It filled the house with a heavenly aroma and everyone loved it, it's a winner! I served it with a  baked potato or whole wheat wide  noodles for a filling, wonderful 10 point dinner.

OSSO BUCO

2 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 tsp pepper
4 (10 oz) veal shanks (1.5 inches thick) [you can substitute beef shanks]
1 TBSP olive oil
1 c chopped carrot (dice size cubes)
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped onion
1 c sliced mushrooms [not in the original recipe, but a good addition IMHO]
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 c dry white wine [I use red or white, whichever I happen to have]
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 TBST chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
Rosemary sprigs (optional)

1. Combine flour and pepper in a pie plate or shallow dish; stir well. Dredge veal ini flour mixture; set aside.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add veal; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place veal in a 4 quart electric slow cooker; set aside.

3. Add carrot and next 3 ingredients to skillet; saute over medium heat 5 minutes. Add wine, swcraping bottom of skillet to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute. Pour vegetable mixture over veal iin slow cooker. Add tomatoes, rosemary, salt, and bay leaf. Cover with lid; cook on high heat setting 1 hour. Reduce to low heat setting, and cook 6 to 7 hours or until veal is tender. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 veal shank and 1.25 cups sauce).

Points 7; diabetic exchanges 3 veg, 6 L Meat

Per serving:; Cal 328, Pro 48.3g, Fat 7.6 g (sat 1.8 g), CARB 14.6, Fiber 3.0, Chol 180mg, Iron 2.9mg, Sod 638, CALC 103mg.

7 comments:

  1. mmm, Osso Buco,I love this dish.

    Go Redskins! Not that I am really a skins fan, I just am so not a Cowboys fan. The Bears wone even though we tried to lose the game several times.

    OMG, the skins just scoredona freak turn over at the end of the first half, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks like a good recipe. Especially nice for fall.

    Thanks for giving the reference to the song, it would have driven me nuts trying to think of it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I root for anyone who's playing Dallas...and what a finish for the Skins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I think I can make this recipe!! Between you, Tami and Debby, there may be enough easy stuff to cook, there's hope for me! If I can do the hard part early in the morning, that's a real plus. I'm such an obnoxious morning person.

    Hope this doesn't affect our friendship (LOL!), but I'm an avid Colts fan. This University of TN Volunteer goes wherever Peyton goes.

    Can't wait to hear about the Yoga class this morning. But I agree with you - don't get yourself overscheduled. It's hard to UNDO, once done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect Sunday to me!


    And I'm your opposite: I could give up my cooktop before my crockpot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice Sunday you had. The Osso buco looks great - thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely try it this fall, as I love nothing better than soups and stews in fall and winter.

    I'll be interested to hear how you like the exercise class at your church. I smiled at your term "Christian Yoga", because when my daughter was about 15, she was on a big summer retreat with many churches, and she decided to do some yoga while outdoors. One of the leaders of the retreat came up to her and asked if she was doing yoga...when Jean said yes, the woman told her that it was an agent of the devil, and entirely non-Christian! Needless to say this upset my daughter tremendously, and did not do much to encourage her continued church attendance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I love anything with rosemary in it. It makes the whole house smell absolutely wonderful. Thank your for sharing the recipe!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete