Thursday, September 9, 2010

Odds and Ends

A couple of you asked for pix of my new finery.  I tried, but failed to get pix I liked. Google came to my rescue, sort of, and I found a picture of my new dress (forever after known as 10P) in a different color.  10P is the exactly the same style, but the material is in a different pattern, a mixture of dark blue/green, a little aqua, and a splash of leaf green with black.  I love the color.

I once saw the tooth fairy in the act of exchanging a quarter for the tooth under my pillow.  Yes, it was a long time ago.  Inflation has taken over.  Back to the tooth fairy.  She was beautiful.  She smelled of Arpege.  Her hair was "fancy" and she was dressed in the most beautiful dark green dress (very similar to the material of 10P) that had tiny little cloth buttons.  Many years later, while clearing out my mother's dresser after she died, I came across her button jar.  I spread out the buttons and immediately noticed a tiny, cloth-covered green button.  My mother was born in 1920 and was very thrifty.  She saved things like buttons, long after the dresses were gone.  I had totally forgotten having seen the tooth fairy until I saw that button.  She and Daddy must have gone out to a party that night and made the exchange afterward.  True story.

I got motivated (by one of you, I can't remember whom) to clean out my closet--specifically my underwear shelf.  It took me about 45 minutes.  You'd think I hadn't gotten rid of anything on that shelf for year and years.  But I could certainly tell that I'd made several expeditions to Walmart to buy a yet-again larger size.  I had 4 different sizes, and I got rid of the three largest.  I wouldn't buy used underwear, so I'm not going to put it in my thrift store box.  On the bra side, I tried them all on and was able to get rid of eight or nine of them.  One downside of being "large" is that I was never comfortable getting "fitted" for a bra.  Often, I bought them without trying them on.  Not a good or smart way to buy.  Anyway, those are gone, too (I did put the new condition ones, some with tags still attached, in the thrift box) and my shelf is nicely uncrowded and much easier to navigate.

I haven't taken a break from exercise for about three weeks.  I think I'm going to skip my gym workout tonight. I may go on a walk with DH later because it's so pretty out, but nothing strenuous. Tomorrow I'm going to take a nice long bike ride. I haven't quite decided what route I'll take, but it's sure to be less crowded tomorrow than on the weekend. I don't fancy dodging preschoolers zigzagging back and forth on the bike trail while their parents chat on cell phones 20 feet away!

How's your weekend shaping up?

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the dress, I bet it looks great on you!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tooth fairy story. I am really looking forward to the weekend. I have quite a bit of cleaning that will need to be done, and then I plan to relax. There is a new fitness studio that has opened about 10miles from my house (it is amazing...nothing is close to my house) that offers Zumba on Saturdays at noon. I am thinking I may check into that...it would be something new, and hopefully I will meet some new people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks great!

    If you've been exercising daily for near three weeks then definitely a day off is a good idea. Enjoy it!

    Thanks for your thoughts regarding my belt on my blog today, you bet I'll keep the belt as a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10P is lovely!

    A day off is a great idea. I'm fairly rigid about having one rest day each week, although I will sometimes go for a leisure walk or bike ride, when the weather's nice, or do some yoga stretches.

    Locally, it's easier to ride the streets on weekends and easier to ride the paths on weekdays. It makes it tough when I ride 4 miles of street to get to the path. :)

    Have a great weekend, Tish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you have lost weight when you need new underwear!!

    I hate the busy trails on weekends here. Toddlers are tough. So are dogs. The dogs are not the actual problem - it is, of course, the inattentive owners who let the leash out so that it goes across the whole trail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This weather makes it really difficult for me to NOT want to go out and exercise. I LOVE bookstores, books, bookshelves, libraries, books, etc. I love finding bookstores as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty that little dress ditty. Thanks for showing us. We are so happy for you. Love the story about the tooth fairy. What a great memory trigger that button. Have week end! Michele

    ReplyDelete