Monday, September 27, 2010

Juggling

Some days I feel like a juggler.  I watch babies, pay bills, do dishes, plan meals, do grocery shopping, try to always have regular nap times for the children,  do my Bible study lessons, visit my Dad, take care of all his financial things, write blog posts, do gardening chores, pick up a lot of toys, make beds, make breakfast, lunch and/or dinner for up to 6 people on a regular basis, and laundry (yes, there's always laundry). Oh, and church and choir practice and my WW meeting and getting my hair done and . . .  well, you get the picture. On top of that I'm trying very hard to exercise for at least an hour every day and to eat in accordance with my weight loss plan.

The last time I interviewed for a job, one of the questions was whether I was good at multi-tasking.   And how.  Uninterrupted time to just focus on one thing just doesn't happen very often.  (I must have had a convincing answer because I got the job.)

I once went to a conference where a professional juggler attempted to teach all of us how to juggle at least 3 things.  It's harder than it looks.  We started with small chiffon scarves which were pretty forgiving because they floated slowly enough so that we novice jugglers could snatch them out of the air.  I graduated to 4 scarves and was able to keep the pattern going for a couple minutes.  I've forgotten how, but I remember that I really had to concentrate to keep all four scarves in the air.

The point of all this is that it's hard work learning how to juggle or multi-task to do everything we have to do AND to exercise and eat and learn to exercise and eat the way we need to for good.  And I think we deserve KUDOS, all of us, for doing it.  Look over my blog roll--almost all these bloggers are doing it--learning and practicing how to eat and exercise for a healthy life.

And here's a diagram so you can learn to juggle three things--easy, no??

Hugs and Congratulations to ALL of us.

20 comments:

  1. I have realized through my years that I'm not a great juggler, sure I can walk & chew gum, but if I'm working on a project then I become pretty focused on it to the expense of everything else. It is a real "art" to juggle several things-I tend to drop the ball in several areas of "life" if I juggle more than 2 things. But right now "healthy living" is my focus and I have to build in habits now to make it second nature or when something else becomes my focus then health will get dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't juggle nearly as much as I used (for which I'm very thankful). I also tend to focus primarily on one thing ... the secret for me is to allocate the time to get all those other things done while concentrating on the one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, I sure relate to this post. I'm very good at juggling my life. Juggling balls or scarves or knives, NO WAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days I drop the balls, like today:( Trying to help my son with his college applications. Sigh. But at least my exercise and eating were both on track:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frankly, I prefer to focus on one task at a time, however that is not part of my life right now. Some days are better than others! Thanks for the words of encouragement!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you ladies are better at multi-processing than us men. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to multi-task, but it seems when I do, then what I'm trying to do probably doesn't get done as well! Though I don't have a family, I do tend to be doing a lot things when I'm at school. Something I'm trying to get better at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of those people who looks back at my day and sees all the balls I dropped. Unfinished tasks, not all my loose ends tied up. Gives me something to start with tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I accept you hugs and return them to you ten fold! Um, just describing what you do everyday makes me tired... You are one amazing lady. True Story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this analogy! The great thing about juggling is that when you drop the ball or two (and even the professional jugglers do that), all you have to do is stop and pick them up again. It's really very simple, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm still not sure how to juggle. That diagram looked like cuneiform. ;-) But 'juggling' I can do! I think it really is a balancing act in this generation-almost everyone has to work, whether it is at parenthood or a job or both. Time management is so much more important than when it used to be, or even when I was younger. Or maybe that is called procrasintation. ;-)

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO I have sat here for 10 minutes trtying to juggle these tennis balls. Now I just have two. I kep dropping these three, and a cat stole one of them batting it down the stairs. Turns out a good thing as I can juggle two better than three. Hmmm, wonder if this other cat wants to steal one and leave me with just one, how hard can one be to juggle?

    Cool post, way original!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a wonderful post at the end of a very long day for me. Heart warming and a reminder that we ARE doing it. Thanks, Tish. Very nice. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your Hot 100 goals. Thanks for visiting and checking my goals out. I'll try not to eat chocolate in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup, juggling everything and never having time for any of it is a way of life for most of us! Thanks for the kudos and right back at you. You're right. We rock. Hard. :) ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just be careful not to drop the balls! Yes, juggling is scary and it's amazing how when 1, 2 or 3 MORE balls enter, that you somehow manage to fit them in! I also have to prioritize. Some balls just CAN'T fall! Good post!! Visiting from Hot 100!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tish, I linked to you on my blog today and said a few kind words. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to say I didn't have enough time to do all the things I needed to do. I finally let go of the computer. I used to be online a lot. Now I find that not being on the computer gives me time to take care of my home, be with my hubby, AND get in 1 hour of working out in per day :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh btw my blog is at www.thistimeits4real.com you don't have a comment as with just your name and url option :(

    ReplyDelete