Monday, October 25, 2010

Paradigm Shift

I subscribe to WikiHow on my igoogle home page.  It  has interesting, useful,  or totally off-the-wall articles on how to do things.  Like How to Change a Tire on your Bike.  Most useful!  Or,  How to Cut out Perfect Paper Snowflakes. Interesting.  Or, from last week, How to Winterize a Livestock Barn.  Hmmm.

Today's article caught me by surprise:  How to get Lots of Candy on Halloween  I guess there was a time when I'd have been very interested in doing this, but this evening when I saw it, my reaction was totally different. I don't want to have anything to do with Halloween candy and I certainly don't want or need to know how to get "lots" of it.

I avoid Halloween candy.  I've learned (the hard way) not to buy it until the afternoon of October 31st.  I've given our son Jay the job (privilege?) of opening the bags of candy and doling it out to the little ones who knock on the door.

Jay is a super-hero where candy is concerned, he doesn't like candy and doesn't eat it.  I was there at his birth and know he must have at least half of my genes. Why is it that he has always had such a healthy attitude toward and it took his mom 50-some years to get that smart??

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a saint about candy. There are certain kinds that are still very tempting to me. I literally avoid the candy aisle in the grocery store and avert my eyes from the candy displays at the checkout.  I will buy Halloween candy that doesn't tempt me.  I've been known to buy just mini boxes of raisins and might go that route again this year. Besides Jay, I have another ally in avoiding the pitfalls of Halloween candy. DH, as you may know, is a lifetime member of WW and has been at or below his goal weight for more than two years. He doesn't want to take "leftovers" from Halloween night to his work and I certainly don't want them here. We jointly dump the leftover candy in the trash as soon as we decide to turn off the porch lights.

One thing I definitely don't need to know:  How to Get Lots of Halloween Candy!

What's your take on Halloween Candy?

12 comments:

  1. Most of the time I still do that--avoid the candy/avert eyes. Then sometimes I realize I'm not even looking any more. That's a good feeling. But sometimes I still have to avert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I despise raisins ... so much so that I couldn't even give them out on Halloween. If we have any left-overs, we'll probably freeze them. Mac doesn't even over-indulge in the candy so he can eat it as his convenience. As long as they aren't my absolute favorites I'm okay with having them around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't given away candy in years. I usually buy the kids mini bags of microwave popcorn or pretzels. However, yesterday, I rode my bike over to our local CVS to pick up some vitamins, and they had bags of little mini Oreos -- yes, sugar. Probably just as bad as the candy. Despite the fact that I used to get into a lot of trouble with Oreos (YUM!), I went ahead and bought a supply of them for Halloween. I haven't broken into them (yet), nor have I told have a told my munchie-loving husband about them. Let's see if I can make it to Halloween without tricking myself (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder about my own boys. They eat crap, sure, but they don't overeat. Where did they get that!? Not from me or my husband. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halloween is evil! I have two boys and it's a big holiday in this house. It's hard to say no, but they get a couple of days of "free for all" and then it gets put away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in a condo - no trick or treaters, so I don't buy it...otherwise it would be deadly for me in my house. If it's around me, it's hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For all my whining about not being able to bike from my house, when Halloween rolls around, I am very grateful. We live on a MAJOR street with no sidewalks, so our neighborhood simply turns off all lights and anything else to discourage trick-or-treaters. Haven't had any in years! I buy candy for our sweet next door neighbors and two cousins who live around the corner, but both of those are delivered around 4 on Halloween night. No candy for us. Thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the prewrapped popcorn balls from Walmart to give out this year. I did it last year too, and it worked well. We don't get very many kids at the house, so a box is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fortunately Halloween is not all that widely celebrated in Australia, so not a huge problem for me. Not like Easter, then it is a choc-fest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't pass out candy and avoid the entire thing!

    Bravo to you for tossing the leftovers. Where there is a will there is a way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with the commenter above! Don't pass it out, avid it all!
    If it's in the house, I eat it... ALL!!
    (I didn't used to be like that. :)
    Nice blog!! I'm now a "Follower"!
    Best,
    gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great treatment of this topic. I've been wondering what to say about Halloween myself. When I was a kid, we lived in a 13 building apartment complex, with 15 units in each building, and my goal every year was to make it to every apartment. A couple of times I did. I didn't read the link, but I bet I know many of them. You may have noticed I posted a very frustrated post today on our culture of promoting food that is tearing this country apart. But I don't want to be a total negative Nelli and take the joy out of HW for the kids. So it's a struggle where to draw the line. Looks like you and DH have come up with an approach that works for you.

    ReplyDelete