Thursday, October 7, 2010

Staying Focussed, WI (UPDATE)

I have, in my long life, tried to lose weight "for ever" countless times.  Every single time, whether I got to within two or three pounds of my goal weight or whether my "diet" lasted only until breakfast of the first day, I have ultimately been side tracked by something and regained the pounds.  I got pregnant (and gained  60 pounds).  My best friend moved away and I was very sad.  I wrenched my ankle and couldn't run. My husband was away on deployment and I was lonely.  I had a very stressful situation at work and my co-worker kept open containers of cashews and Lindt truffles on her desk.  My mother died.

The last time I decided to lose weight, I decided it would be forever.  I chose my plan.  Weight Watchers.  I enlisted my DH to join with me.  I promised myself I would not give up.  Ever.  That was in March 2008.  I lost 50 pounds by December.  On the day I reached minus 50 pounds, my Dad had a massive stroke.  I was the point person (the only child within 3 states). I had to make all the decisions, medical and financial.  It was very hard.  I tried to hold the line on my weight.  I weighed myself every morning.  I tried to keep up my exercise routine.  My weight started creeping up.  I regained 40 pounds by the next December.  I kept going to WW.  I kept running (although much more slowly as the pounds piled on).  I tried to get my momentum restarted in January.  It worked for a month and then we had a monster snow storm and I couldn't leave the house (to shop or exercise) for more than a week.  I backslid and regained the several pounds I'd re-lost.  I never did regain the final 10 pounds and that was important to me.  I kept up the exercise.  I kept going to WW.  Finally in May I got my momentum back.  I restarted the C25K.  I re-read my WW materials.  I started this blog.  I got intentional about the details.  Drinking water.  Measuring portions. Doing both cardio and strength exercises. Eating more slowly.  Eating "clean."  Eating more fish.  Limiting starchy carbs to one a day. I started losing.  I've lost just about 30 pounds since the beginning of May.  The rate is slowing down a bit.  But I think I've found my way.  I'm staying focussed.  For LIFE.

Here are some tools I use to help me stay focussed.

         1.  I keep a journal.  I record my weight, morning and evening.  Every day.  I KNOW that if I don't record these, I gain.  I will do this for ever.  When I reach my goal, it will help me see when I need to work so I don't exceed my "scream weight."  I like knowing my patterns (I always gain after Thai food, I gain after popcorn, those gains go away after two days). I also use it to record my measurements, my daily exercise, and to record notes or thoughts I have about the process.
  
         2.  I log my daily weight on physics diet.  This is new to me, but I love it.  It averages my weight       over the past several days so that small ups and downs don't have such prominence.  It's a realistic visual of "how I'm doing." This is especially nice during the losing phase, I'm not sure if I'll continue when I reach my ultimate goal.

    3. I track my running on Nike+, using my ipod.  I like visuals and love seeing the miles pile up.

4.  I log my official WI weights on the WW site.  It has a good graphic that shows me where I am in relation to when I first started, 2 1/2 years ago.


UPDATE:  Oh and don't forget this fun one which is the automatic update from my gym:


These are my main tools for staying focussed.  I need to do this to keep myself going.  At my WI today, I stayed the same.  Not the worst news, but not what I really wanted either.  My tools, though, show me that I'm doing well. I had my lowest morning weight in well over a year this morning.  I reached a new green low on my physics diet chart and the trend is still definitely down.  I'm keeping up with my running.  And I'm slowly but surely approaching my low of two years ago on my WW chart.  

All those kinds of pesky things that got in my way before might still happen (except, praise God,  getting pregnant!), but this time, they're not going to derail my progress.  

How do you keep yourself focussed when things go astray?




179.0

18 comments:

  1. First let me say congratulations to you for getting it so right! I too keep a little record book of my weigh ins and have for years even though I no longer attend WW meetings.

    Your story could be mine with just a few tweaks here and there. It most likely resonates with many others who have struggled with weight over the years. I guess we tend to go back to our old coping skills when things get tough, it is human nature to do so.

    That is a big question "How do you keep yourself focussed when things go astray?"

    This time I would have to say off the top of my head my answer is awareness, planning, structure.

    Awareness of my tendency to cope with stress by using food to stuff down the feelings and try to avoid them. Working on sitting with the feelings and finding other ways to cope and comfort myself.

    Planning to have healthy food, not skipping meals or eating too late and ask for what I need in a restaurant or at someones home. Dr Oz says "Food is like a prescription for your health."

    Structure regarding my exercise routine. Making time for me regardless of what else is going on or who needs something done. Putting me on the top of the to do list!

    I believe we can do it this time Tish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very thoughtful post, Tish. I am wondering if you think your mindset this last time (even though you regained 40 pounds, it seemed you never gave up) your mindset was different. As in, in the past did you think the diet had a beginning and an end? Did you think, this time I am going to make permanent changes in the way I view food and the way I eat and the types of food I choose to eat?

    I am just curious about this whole thing. What makes one person succeed and another 'fall off the wagon.' I guess I don't feel completely confident that I couldn't fall off myself some days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Tish! You've got this! How did the closing go on the house? And how is Hubby's swelling? Cast for 6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting outdoors is what always brings me comfort. I can usually rant, give myself a pep talk, develop a strategy and then remind myself I'm really a great person all in the span of one good long walk. Reading about the successes of others is also a good motivator for me when I've gotten off track. Like you, I keep lots of records and charts so going back and revisiting my own successes remind me of how far I've come and keep me going when I get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is something I worry about with me losing this weight. Last summer I got very focused with my eating and exercising and it lasted until the day after Thanksgiving, and then I gained the majority of it back. I've been on a roll again with losing weight, and have been very consistent with my eating and exercising, but there's still a part of me in the back of my mind that is worried that something's going to happen and I'll start gaining it back again. There was a time even before last summer that I lost and gained back, but before that I was just losing here and there and hadn't dropped as much. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, yes. I do think my mindset was different. You know the way some people avoid the word "diet" to describe what they're doing? I do just because I think of "diet" as something temporary. What I'm doing is not temporary, except in the sense that I know I will reach my goal and then will start the dance that is maintenance. But essentially, I'll eat and exercise the same way. The same types of foods, cardio and strength exercises. Mindful attention to what I eat. I don't expect to all of a sudden find myself eating brownies every week, or every month. I've lost the "wait until Monday to begin" mentality, because forever includes NOW. Does this make sense?
    Thank you all for you thoughtful comments. I must say that blogging has really made a difference. This communiity is a gold mine of encouragement, information, ideas, inspiration, and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tish you are awesome. Only a librarian would enjoy so many graphs and charts. Tee hee. You are doing so well and I think you are great. And that's not just the vicodin talking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my hero today. I read the first part of the post and could substitute my own life and years of yo-yo dieting. I read the second part and was impressed and inspired. You are doing it! I want to do it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you do a lot of tracking, I think its great if it helps you! I track my calories and weigh myself almost every day, Wii Fit keeps a daily record of the weight for me, but I only record it "officially" once a week. I have had people tell me I focus too much on calories and weight, but its what works for me, when I stop doing it, I gain. So like I said, if it works for you, GREAT! And awesome job doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One difference for me this time is that the goal is not to lose the weight. the goal is to keep the weight off. That helps me get through the plateaus and helps me get back on track if I gain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean... I had many false starts, many "dieting until breakfast is over" days, many "Today is THE day" talks with myself. But one day really was THE day and it stuck, just like it did for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good girl, great plan, kick ass and take names. Go for it!

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love your focus and your unapologetic close tracking. For some people, this is an unconscious process, or one their body naturally does. You have substituted some great processes. I love how you're taking things into your own hands this time. I just know you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tish, congratulations on your effort, results and attitude. I'm exactly like you, love the scales (they are my friend too), and a big training spreadsheet that records absolutely everything, with graphs too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Tish,
    Thank-you for this post. I really appreciate your openness ands honesty. It helps me, too, because I can so relate. Plus, now I know more of your own story and there are many parallels with my own life, especially passing or care of parents. I don’t know what will keep me from going astray, honestly. I am so determined right now. I have learned so much about what it means to eat healthy through my last three months. Plus, I am really enjoying my new level of fitness. So, both of those things are helping me. But, there is something more, and that is, it is easier than I ever thought it would be to work toward better health. I just don’t crave the foods that I know are unhealthy, although I am afraid I will. Right now I am able to stay the path by planning and moderation. It is working. I feel SOOOO good to have my shirts smooth down flat or my work clothes getting loser. It is about me. That is what is different. After years of caring for others, I am FINALLY caring for myself. It feels really good, too. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are an inspiration to those of us who yo-yo with our eating and weight! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tish, I weigh often as well. It seems to work for me as far as keeping me focused on how different foods and activities affect my weight for the day. It also reminds me of changes I need to make or habits I need to keep. Love your charts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are really an inspiration. Thanks for sharing some of your weight loss (and gain) history. I know many of us can relate. The tracking tools are really good - I should try to incorporate some of them into my program. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete