On a happier note, we had the inspection on our new house today and the inspector never stopped raving about what a great house it is and what good condition the appliances/furnace/AC/roof/etc are in. With our heavy rain this morning, it was a good day for making sure that there are no water problems in the house. There were a few minor electrical things, but we'll get the seller to fix those and be ready to go. I want to start taking some pix to put together to show potential renters.
I wish I'd had a camera with me on my run this morning. It stopped raining about half way through and it was really beautiful out. Everything felt cool and fresh and clean. Some of the trees have leaves that are starting to turn. I'm going to take my camera next time and see if I can snap some pix of the beautiful leaves. I think they're black gum trees. Some of the leaves are a bright crayon red now. Also the sweet gum have dropped some beautiful yellow star shaped leaves. Does this mean that fall is coming?? I sure hope so.
I have the g-babies tomorrow. E has become fairly reliably potty trained over the past few weeks. Yay! My oriental carpets are breathing a collective sigh of relief! And I can ditch the remainder of the
DH is trying to convince me to use biking shoes and clips when I ride. He actually bought me the shoes when we bought my bike, but I've never used them. I'm scared of not being able to get loose and falling, but I know I read blogs that talk about how much more efficient (easier) it is when you do use the clips. DH has an exercise bike which he uses a lot (while he watches soccer or football). I never use it. He thinks I can get used to the shoes/clips while using the exercise bike. Do any of you all have any advice on this subject? Do you use them (the shoes/clips)? I like the sound of easier riding, but don't want to fall. [It doesn't help that the first time DH was showing me how nifty they are, he fell off his bike right in front of me!] Do you think I could learn to be comfortable with them before our Labor Day bike vacation?
Feeling a little blue about the gain, but going on,

185.0



I find the day of my weigh in if I have a gain I have a bad day. However the next morning I wake up and am ready to fight for it! It's ok to feel a little disappointed but dwelling on it doesn't solve anything. Move on Tish and make yourself proud!
ReplyDeleteYou have actually done unbelievably well for a 50-something woman losing weight. Maybe you could look at it like I used to some days. Your body absorbed some of that moisture from the rain while you were running and that's why you had a gain!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the baby covered with the stickers.
Sometimes a little gain precedes a big loss. WOW for you that you went out and ran in the rain. How determined is that? What a victory! Keep running, drink your water. Keep on counting points, the scale will budge soon.
ReplyDeleteBLTs cracked me up!
ReplyDeleteI ride with shoes and clips. It makes a hugeeee difference. Each pedal stroke you can use your hamstrings as well as your quads to make the movement much more efficient.
That said... both my husband and I have fallen because of them. One key time is when we are stopped to wait for a light or something and we have one foot down but shift weight and over we go! It does take practice to get your foot out. I first wore them for indoor cycling class and think it would be a great idea for you to wear them inside first. Practice taking your feet out over and over. I am "left-footed" and my husband is "right-footed." So I have loosened the mechanism on my left pedal (or is it the clip itself) so that I can get that foot our very easily. My husband's style does not loosen.
The other risky time is going up a steep or hard hill. Being clipped gives you more power, but if you run out of steam to get your pedal around, you need to be able to quickly get your foot out which is harder going slowly on a hill like that.
I hope this did not scare you away! I think they are great!!! Email me if you want to chat more about it:) waistingtimeblog@gmail.com
We all have those little bumps in the road from time to time. You have done so well along this journey. I'm glad you are not letting it get you down. I admire you for getting that run in..rain and all! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteYour granddaughter is adorable!
ReplyDeleteI've never used clips for bike shoes, but I've been to spin classes where people use them so that should work!
Glad you are jumping on my brother Charlie's train! :D
Tish- I just wanted to let you know I absolutely love your blog. Everytime I read your words I am smiling. Your attitude is diamond. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteps. I am sure next week will be a better WI:)
Good for you for moving away from a disappointing weigh in! We'll have those, just as we have encouraging weigh ins. The end result is the same--we just keep moving forward.
ReplyDeleteI don't use the clips, largely due to my general klutziness and lack of coordination. A friend who's a longtime and long-distance biker showed me ways to move my feet around on the pedals for more power, and that's enough (for now) for my current level of usage.
You're right ... this is merely a temporary bump in the road. You're already back on track, and you'll kick that scale's butt next week.
ReplyDeleteThe pedals are scary at first, but just practice over and over again. I love them! If you can bring your bike indoors or have a door to your garage that you can prop yourself up by holding on the the frame, that is good practice to get your feet in and out of the clips over and over again without worrying about falling. I have almost fallen a couple times, but not hit the ground. Twisting your foot will become 2nd nature. When I first wore the clips, I paid extra attention and chanted 'clips, clips' to myself when I would approach a stop to remind myself that I had them.
ReplyDeleteI *love* them. Love, love, love.