Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thank You













When I opened my blog today, I was greeted by an award from Michele (Ruminations and Uncovering:  Toward a New Me).  Thank you, Michele!  Not only did I discover a new friend with whom I have a lot in common, but now I have a topic for today's post!  Here are the rules for the Versitile Blogger Award:








1.  Thank the person who gave you the award
2.  Share seven things about yourself
3.  Nominate 15 newly discovered blogs
4. Let your nominees know about the award.

Okay, 7 more things you might be interested in knowing about me . . .

1.  I love cookbooks.  I collect them and have since I was a teenager.   Lately though, I've gotten a little more selective about my cookbooks.   I like to have a beautiful color picture of the food for each recipe.  I also want to have the nutritional information at the end of the recipe.  And, of course, there's the food.  I want food that fits my life plan of eating.  I have multiple cookbooks from Cooking Light, Eating Well, Weight Watchers and Williams Sonoma.  Then there's the index--I want a really good index.  The WW cookbooks, which I love, used to have terrible indexes.  They've gotten a little better.  I use the index to circle the recipes I love.  If I want to make roasted red potatoes with rosemary, say, I'll end up flipping to the index of several cookbooks to find the recipe I want.  I've started getting rid of cookbooks that don't meet my needs.  I've probably given 60 of them away over the past year.  I try to copy my favorite go-to recipes to my computer as my friends and family often want the recipes for foods I make.  

2.  I'm the youngest of four kids.  Even though my older brother is 10 years older, my sister is 7 years older,  and my younger older brother is 3 years older,  since I became an adult I've always felt older then all of them.  Older in a good way.  Older as in wiser, more responsible, more in touch with the ways of the world.  

3.  I like to run.  I prefer running alone.  I like to set my own pace and not be slowing someone else down.  I like listening to my playlist (60s classic love songs with some classical mixed in), but if I'm with someone else, I feel like we should chat.  The best thing about running with someone else is the added impetus to get out the door, but, it can also be a bad thing if that other person convinces me to wimp out of going when I sorta really felt like going.  

4.  The only recipe I know absolutely by heart is the recipe for my mom's brownies.  The best brownies in the world.  I used to make them at least once a week.   Actually, it's been about six months since I've made them and maybe I'd better take a peek at that recipe before I make them again.  They're only for very special occasions now and only when there'll be enough folks around to get a sensible brownie/person ratio.  Gone are the bad old days of making a batch, nibbling all day, and then making a replacement batch so no one realized that I ate the whole thing.  (Unless, of course you consulted Mr. Scale--he realized it.)

5.  Our oldest, Laura, is a wunderkind.  She learned to read when she was two.  She was very shy.  She's beautiful.  She chose her college partially based on the caliber of their Ultimate Frisbee program (she went to Stanford).  She and her husband live near Seattle.  She is a children's librarian, but has chosen to homeschool her three children.  This is a picture of Laura with her youngest.



6.  I'm a chronic re-reader.  I read a lot.  I usually have a CD book in my car, an audiobook on my ipod, a paperback in my purse, and at least two books (a novel and a non-fiction book) by my bed.  I love to discover new authors  (M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raison series,  Dana Stabenow's Liam Campbell series, and Adriana Trigiani are among recent finds) and I tear through all their books until I'm waiting impatiently for the next one.  I love historic fiction.    My all time favorite book is Here Be Dragons (Sharon K. Penman).  I have reread this one at least once a year since I discovered it in 1985.  A library patron kept recommending it to me and finally put a copy on my desk.  I was put off by the title (I don't care for fantasy), but I decided to read 50 pages to give it a try. I was totally hooked.  It's not fantasy.  Anyway, I re-read this often and love it.  Other books I re-read are Gabaldon's Outlander series, Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series, Francine River's A Voice in the Wind series.  All really well written.  BTW, for that book in my purse, it's usually a re-read.  A paperback of one of my favorites so it's easy to get right into it when I have just a bit of "found" time.

7.  It sounds like a cliche, but I knew the very day I met him, that I wanted to marry DH.  We met our senior year in college, at a birthday party for a mutual friend.  We were singing and he was standing near me.  He complimented me on my voice and we started talking.  He called me that night (just as I was telling my roommate about him) and invited me to go dancing in Sausilito the next day.  That was January 27, 1973.  He proposed in April and we were married the day after graduation.  Thirty seven years and counting.

Hmmm, 15 Newly Discovered Blogs--I'm going to fail this one.   If you haven't gotten this award yet, please consider yourself awarded!


Just curious, what's your favorite novel?




12 comments:

  1. I like your list! Good to get to know you a little better. Doesn't if feel good to get an award from a fellow blogger?

    Hmmm, favorite novel - I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Kite Runner, The Red Tent...I could love on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Tish, it was so great learning new things about you.
    I don't really have a favorite book but tend to enjoy a good biography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter looks just like you! I cannot reread anything. Even if I don't remember it. My son is a huge reader and rereads lots and lots. I have several favorites: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Expecting Adam, Pillars of the Earth, and I forget right now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite novel is Green Grass Grace by Shawn McBride (I think that's his name). I don't know why that book has stuck with me over the years, but it has. There really is no reason why it's my favorite either. I just love it with all my heart. I'm a big reader too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite book is _To Kill a Mockingbird_. I first read it in my teens and it's a frequent re-read. In fact, I may have to pick it up again soon. :)

    Even though I don't cook so much, I do love cookbooks. I mostly prefer older cookbooks (pre-70s?) because the recipes are almost always composed of REAL ingredients. The dishes may be caloric, but at least it's real food. :)

    I also prefer to exercise alone. Start and stop when you please and let your mind wander where it wishes. Ahhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, I love historical novels too! I will have to check out your selections!
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the award! A couple years ago I was helping with a library sale in the town I was living in at the time, and I happened upon a Kitchen Klatter cookbook and a University of Lincoln Extension cookbook, both of which were from the 60's. It was kind of strange b/c the town I was living was at least 400 miles from my parents in Nebraska, and they don't make the Kitchen Klatter cookbook anymore. Both cookbooks were ones that my mom used all the time, and had her favorite bread recipe in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing a bit more about yourself. I love cookbooks too! Your daughter is lovely - how wonderful she is homeschooling. It's something we've done for a long time.

    Congratulations on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can so tell she is your daughter! <3 I was sure you were going to say that was a pic of you a few years back.

    Favorite book...Mists of Avalon. I found it for cheap at B&N awhile ago and I plan to reread it soon. I had read it from the library years and years ago and then reread a friends copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved reading your post! I live in Seattle. It's a great place to be. I hope your daughter enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, not much of a novel reader in recent years. I used to read quite a bit of Steven King, but no more horror for me. I did enjoy The Green Mile. Probably was WHEN I was reading it more than the story. Oh, and then I got stuck on Michael Chriton (sp?) for a while. But you know what one of my all time favorite books was? Anne of Green Gables. Yep. I loved that book. That whole series. And the Wizard of Oz. I still like children's books. Oh, I love all of James Herriots books, but I don't really consider them novels. But such a good story.

    This was fun to read, Tish.

    I have a recipe I named 'World's Best Brownies.' Haven't made them since I started this journey. But I can still taste them. We should compare recipes sometime.

    I'm gonna go check out that dragon book. The title puts me off too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Tish,
    Is is wonderful to meet so many people through their blogs. My own children also enjoyed Ultimate Frisbee in college. Sometimes I thought that UF was their major!

    I, too, do not read as many novels as I used to, but one of my favorites is Wally Lambs, She's come undone.

    How about sharing that recipe for Brownies?? Sound delicious. Michele

    ReplyDelete