| Sweet Autumn Clematis |
I think maybe it's that "number of things" part of the deal. Too many choices. Have you ever dashed into the store to buy peaches, for example? If you go in August, you're likely to be faced with choices that will slow you down on your errand: white or yellow? donut shape or round? local or imported? organic or not? seconds or "perfect"? pre-bagged or choose your own? regular price or on special? And that's just peaches. Don't even think about getting out of the store quickly if you have to navigate the aisle that has allergy medicines, or nail polish! Sometimes life would be much simpler if there weren't so many choices.
The Lovin' Spoonful's 60's hit Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind was one of the songs on my playlist during my run this morning. It's a great song to run to. A nice beat and fun lyrics. The guy finds a girl he likes, but his affections are easily swayed when he meets other girls. Pretty simplistic. But my mind was on free rein and the chorus made me think of the potluck dinner we had at our house last night.
Cammy wrote a great post about potlucks last week. She's so right. Potlucks are fun, but potluck fare is seldom synonymous with healthy eating. We grilled burgers and provided an assortment of diet and regular sodas as well as iced water and coffee. Our guests brought potluck for the rest. I used to love potlucks. It seemed a guilt-free way to end up with chips, burgers, jello salad, marshmallow salad, potato salad, pasta salad, and at least a small serving of each dessert on offer. You don't want to offend anybody by not choosing the thing that they brought. Last night as the hostess, I actually did have that feeling. I put a tiny serving of each food on my plate. It filled the entire plate. It did not look appetizing. I've grown accustomed to the colorful, healthy look of less processed, fresh fruits and vegetables. I think every single salad had mayonnaise dressing. There were no green salads. The most appealing side dish was a huge platter of glass noodles that a Filipina friend made. I had my burger sans bun--garnished with lettuce and tomatoes. I did take a few bites of the other things, but, happily, found myself busy doing hostess things--finding more spoons, greeting latecomers, starting the coffee, and putting birthday candles in one of the cakes. I was able to scrape my plate into the trash and enjoy a cup of coffee for dessert. Too many choices. And, in terms of my Plan, not so many great choices.
I like black and white choices. A bright line between a good choice and a poor choice. Life, well, my life anyway, doesn't give us only black and white choices. I try hard to make the choices in my house mostly good choices. Sometimes, though, I need to exercise my choice muscle. It's a muscle that needs a little more toning up. I gave that muscle a little workout today, crushing and tossing a big, unopened bag of chips that got left behind.
This morning's run was mostly walking. My hip was still a little sore (probably from all that floor scrubbing on Friday), so I went the distance (4 miles), but just ran a little. It was a beautiful day. There were so many butterflies out today--it must have been the optimum temperature for them. One of the bald eagles was perched right next to the eagle nest. The sweet autumn clematis has started to bloom and greeted me with a lovely spicy scent as I went by the blossoms. I didn't run a lot, but I did work on my posture and tried to keep remembering to walk with my head up, shoulders back and tummy in. It makes me feel taller and slimmer to stand up straight.
Patrick, here's a picture of a snazzy pedal, like the ones I got for my bike. My special bike shoes clip into the pedal and provide a more efficient ride. The shoe being attached to the pedal means you get not only the downward push on the pedal action driving the bike, but also the upward pull action. Tonight I chose what to have for dinner. We had baked fish, whole wheat couscous w/ mint and dried apricot, zucchini, and mango/avocado salsa. Yum. I made dinner early so that we were able to start our bike ride earlier. We rode for 80 minutes and added a couple of miles to our usual route. It felt good. (but the Hill was still there--maybe it had something to do with having "run" this morning). Oh, and this time, I didn't fall off of my bike. Not even once!



Those pedals look so intimidating! On my list of things to day: learn how to bike for realsies with bike shoes that clip in. This, of course, after I buy my road bike. :)
ReplyDeleteLove your post about potluck food. So true.
Great post about choices, Tish. I, too, wish choices were black and white and need to start exercising my choice muscle.
ReplyDeleteMary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
Love your snazzy, new pedals! I have heard about these, but your last two posts are inspiring me to try them out.
ReplyDeleteI also always liked potlucks, until I began this journey. Great post. Michele
I've always been rather indecisive- I guess it's my need to make the right decision to "please" people. Potlucks sometimes overwhelm me, b/c there are a lot of good foods, and it's hard not to go overboard. I'm probably a fan of black and white choices myself too! :-)
ReplyDeleteI feel similarly about pot lucks. I used to love them for the huge offering of food, mostly unhealthy. Now I resent them! Last two I went to I brought a very healthy dish, but I overate the crap that others brought. Sounds like you did a great job! And I am quite black and white too. Glad to hear the pedaling is going well; I thought of you on my ride yesterday:)
ReplyDeletePotlucks are definitely something I struggle with - not so much with feeling like I have to eat so I won't offend everyone - but moreso because I become overwhelmed with choices and end up eating everything in sight. Ack! Danger Zone!
ReplyDeleteGreat post about choices!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention. Despite the peril, I do love potlucks. I've learned, though, to take only a bite or two of certain dishes (like Roger's yummy pimiento cheese salad) and skip the things I truly don't want (like any of the three potato salads offered.) On the rare occasion someone mentions my skippage, I assure them that I'm tasting their dish on "my second pass." They don't need to know that the second pass is imaginary. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on an event-free ride! :)
Now that is a pedal. Looks intimidating in an odd sort of way. Like it is saying, don't bother using me if you are not serious; don't even bother. So I take it you are serious, good for you!
ReplyDeleteI agree about the pot luck. Isn't it weird how things we used to think were so much fun and tasty just aren't anymore? I really need to get my bike out and go for rides. It's just harder for me to do any exercise outside gym or homw due to kids, but it sounds like such fun
ReplyDeleteAlmost every family gathering is a pot luck and usually once a week. I find them extremely painful and full of bad choices. The last one on Friday, I managed to bring my own dressing and just have salad,but I felt it was a huge sacrifice.
ReplyDeleteLiz
I could have been a bit less stubborn and made a couple of side dishes which would have been good on my plan. That's what I'll do next time. I had makings for a green salad, I just got caught up in preparations (plus the 80 yr old couple who came 30 minutes early!).
ReplyDeletePotluck food, funeral food = same thing. At one point last weekend when I experienced a moment of sanity, I looked across the vast array of offerings and saw not one thing (NOTHING) with any redeeming value. All junk, all of it and I ate it. Even though I've got some work ahead to get it OUT of my system again, I do remember a time when I ate all that junk and it didn't bother me. Glad those days are gone. I am most definitely bothered! ICK would be a good word!
ReplyDeleteGreat post about the Pot Luck. I am not there yet....I see the spinach dip come out and I am ready to face plant into it. Ha!
ReplyDeleteNice work on the bike ride!
I hate pot lucks! I like to have control and say over what goes in my mouth, is that bad? I don't think so, I just like to eat good healthy food that tastes good.
ReplyDeleteWow those bike pedals are fancy. I need to get my bike out but it is too hot here right now for outdoor activity unless it is before sunrise. This too shall pass.