Those were my brother's exact words when we sat down to dinner yesterday. This is my other brother, not the one who was here two weeks ago. I hadn't seen him for several months. He was very complimentary about my weight loss and is aware that I'm working hard on losing weight, exercising and eating well. I guess he was expecting carrots and lettuce and clear broth for dinner! Instead I served my go-to Beef Stir Fry. Flank steak, red pepper, onions, baby corn, shitake mushrooms, snow peas, and almonds served over brown rice. It smelled, looked, and tasted delicious. I added one extra ingredient that I've never used before. Do you know what this is?
It's a chayote squash (in Louisiana, it's called a mirliton--Emerile uses it frequently in his cooking shows). I'd seen it and heard about it but had never tried it. Yesterday was my first time. Choose smaller fruits (~4 inches long) which are more tender. You can eat it either fresh or cooked. Fresh, it's supposed to taste like a cross between an apple and a cucumber. Cooked it's more like a cross between squash and an apple. If you cook it, use any method that you'd use for summer squash. You can eat the peel as well as the flesh. I cut one into 1/8 inch slices and added at the last minute for a crunch appeal in my stir fry. There is a pale round seed (similar to an avocado seed) in the fruit that, when boiled for 30+ minutes, is supposed to taste like artichoke heart. My assigned "sou-chef" who kindly chopped the chayote, inadvertently cut the seed in half, so I didn't try it boiled. There was plenty extra and the assembled hungry onlookers, nibbled on the raw pieces and pronounced it "interesting" and "good." I might try it julienned in a slaw some time. Nice crunch and slightly sweet flavor.
After dinner we went out on a 10 mile bike ride. Twice in a row where I didn't fall off my bike. I'm going for a streak. It was a two-a-day, because I got in a 4 mile morning run while waiting for my car--I'd picked up a nail in my tire and was getting it fixed. DH suggested I take it to the nearest gas station, but I chose one a tiny bit farther away, but closer to my running trail.
Have you tried any new and interesting food lately?
It's a chayote squash (in Louisiana, it's called a mirliton--Emerile uses it frequently in his cooking shows). I'd seen it and heard about it but had never tried it. Yesterday was my first time. Choose smaller fruits (~4 inches long) which are more tender. You can eat it either fresh or cooked. Fresh, it's supposed to taste like a cross between an apple and a cucumber. Cooked it's more like a cross between squash and an apple. If you cook it, use any method that you'd use for summer squash. You can eat the peel as well as the flesh. I cut one into 1/8 inch slices and added at the last minute for a crunch appeal in my stir fry. There is a pale round seed (similar to an avocado seed) in the fruit that, when boiled for 30+ minutes, is supposed to taste like artichoke heart. My assigned "sou-chef" who kindly chopped the chayote, inadvertently cut the seed in half, so I didn't try it boiled. There was plenty extra and the assembled hungry onlookers, nibbled on the raw pieces and pronounced it "interesting" and "good." I might try it julienned in a slaw some time. Nice crunch and slightly sweet flavor.
After dinner we went out on a 10 mile bike ride. Twice in a row where I didn't fall off my bike. I'm going for a streak. It was a two-a-day, because I got in a 4 mile morning run while waiting for my car--I'd picked up a nail in my tire and was getting it fixed. DH suggested I take it to the nearest gas station, but I chose one a tiny bit farther away, but closer to my running trail.
Have you tried any new and interesting food lately?




I have never seen or heard of a chayote squash in all of my 30 years. I will have to keep my eyes open for one!
ReplyDeleteI have never seen or heard of that! I have tried chia. I guess I should blog about it.
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful! We had chicken stir-fry tonight, but not with chayote squash, just red bell pepper, broccoli, onion, carrot and celery. Now, I am going to look for it!
ReplyDeleteMary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
The apple+cucumber had me thinking cole slaw too. (Oh look, everyone, non-cook Cammy had the same cooking idea as Tish! This PROVES I'm ready for the big time!*G*)
ReplyDeleteActually, even though I live in TN, I hadn't heard of that squash. It's probably available at the produce market, but I steer way clear of the squash section. :)
The only new-to-me food I've tried recently was a pluot. It did not pass the Cammy Taste Test.
Hi there. I found you via Cammy's blog.
ReplyDeleteAnything new and interesting that I've been trying lately is all Japanese because most of that is healthy. Pretty much any kind of sushi is a big favourite of mine. :)
http://www.naturallycurvy.com
I'm stuck on Cammy doesn't like pluots? That just seems wrong.
ReplyDeleteThat squash thingy looks really interesting, and I like the idea of it in a salad also, since I already like zucchini in a salad like that.
Hmm, that salad sounds very interesting!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing about the squash that is new to me but I will be looking for one to buy and try.
ReplyDeleteRecently I have tried plantains,pluots and grilled corn on the cob with lime juice and I loved them all!
Isn't it nice to show others how good healthy eating can taste!
They actually have those at my local grocery store, but I never knew how to use them! I'll have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteI work with a woman who thinks diet food is eating hard boiled egg whites and canned tuna - yuck!
I'll take your "diet" stir-fry any time!