Friday, August 27, 2010

Fall (Updated)

I went for a run this morning and it was great!  First the weather--it has turned beautiful this week. Temps in the high 70s, sunny and no humidity. Who could ask for anything more?  I wanted to get my run in, but also spend time with my brother, who is leaving tomorrow, so I limited my run to 60 minutes. With the temperate weather I was able to run much more easily. I still had some walking parts, but a lot fewer. I've always heard that interval training is good for runners, maybe my run/walk pattern might serve as some kind of an interval and, in fact makes me run better . . . . (you know I'm an optimistic glass half full kind of person!)
As I was coming to the end of my run, I happened to look down and saw these on the path.  I stopped to scoop up these few and brought them back to show you proof that fall is actually coming.  I also saw about 3 fuzzy/wooly caterpillars today--doesn't that mean that winter is going to be cold? 

My eating was a bit unusual (for me) today but falls within my WW Core guidelines.  Breakfast was my usual unfrosted mini wheats and half a peach.  For lunch I went out with my brother and his friend.  I ordered a cheese steak sandwich. I cut my sandwich in half and gave each of the guys a quarter piece.  I thoroughly enjoyed my half a sandwich and refuse to feel guilty.  So there! For dinner, we were 10 (we 3, brother & friend and son John's family + his SIL).  I made grilled sirloin/veggie skewers, apricot almond couscous, and broccolini with smoked paprika almonds and garlic. We had coffee and WW strawberry frozen yogurt bars for dessert. It was yummy.
broccolini with smoked paprika, almonds, and garlic
After dinner we went for an impromptu bike ride in the neighborhood. "We" is my bother, his friend and me. It was getting dark, so we stayed close to home.  My brother's friend was riding DH's bike (his first time with shoes & "snazzy pedals").  He fell, twice.  I fell once. Very embarrassing. It was not so much a matter of forgetting to unclip as it was trying to make too tight a turn. In any case, I got a skinned up elbow; not pretty, but it doesn't hurt--too much.  UPDATE:  It got achey after an hour or so, so I had to take some pain reliever to get comfortable sleeping.  I also have a lovely long bluish purple bruise and related tenderness on the side of my hip. Thanks Karen for the tip:  Unclip the shoe on the on the side of the tight turn so I can balance.  Sure hope I get this all down soon.  I'm a little old to keep diving toward the pavement elbow first.

Laura sent me a belated birthday present that arrived today--A Kettle bell plus a DVD set she says is very good.  Now I get to be one of the "cool kids!"  Thank you, beautiful daughter!  Yes, Laura has become a reader. She's on the other coast and is going great guns exercising, eating well and losing weight.  

I like trying new things. Chayote Squash was new yesterday. Broccolini was new to me tonight--it was deelish. Kettlebells are new to me. I'll try them out tomorrow and let you know. Falling with my new bike gear? It was new, but now it's old hat. I don't need to fall any more!

How about you?  Have you tried anything new lately??

6 comments:

  1. I think Fall is probably my favorite season. I like when it gets cool and I can wear sweatshirts and pants! It's not too cold and it's not too hot either! :-) Haven't tried anything too new lately. The squash sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried broccolini and actually saw it in my local market for the first time recently. I think I'd like it. Tight corners are hard. Something else you will learn how to handle over time. My husband can do them pretty well; I often unclip the foot that is on the inside so that I can put it down if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mornings here (TN) are nice now. I'm heading out for a bike ride (clip-less) in a bit to take advantage of the heat relief. :)

    Guilt about food was one of the things I gave up a few years ago. Figuring out how to have dee-lish 'traditional' foods every now and then is part of the fun (not to mention a necessity) of long-term weight maintenance. I love pimiento cheese and one of the local delis has a wonderfully spicy version. Luckily, they also have a "combo plate" that serves a 1/2 sandwich with a salad or soup! Perfect! :) Good for YOU for finding your own way through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New stuff is a healthy sign of the changes we are making becoming a real part of who we are, not just a flash in the pan attempt. Brocolini is good, tried it and likedit, and would have it again. The first time I ever had it was before this current mission and I had it soaked in cheese sauce and butter. Oh how gross that sounds today.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall is my favorite season ... but it's better in Indiana, where the leaves turn prettier colors. Out here in AZ we get ... gold. That's it. I miss red and orange leaves.

    I've tried broccolini before, and that recipe looks delicious. I tried a new recipe for breakfast this morning (there weren't any really new foods in that recipe, but it was still a new recipe.) I'll be blogging about it in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fall months because of all the color - also my favourite time of year to run!
    Haven't really tried anything new since the whole Avacodo incident - yuck ;-)

    ReplyDelete