I heard on the news that all factors combined to make this summer the worst in memory for ants in this area. They've certainly found my kitchen. I've declared war on them. All out biological, chemical, thermonuclear war. Well, maybe not thermonuclear war, just the borax solution, but they are so no longer welcome or tolerated in my kitchen. First it was two or three. I even escorted them back outside without squishing them. Now it's a never-ending trail of the little suckers, busily taking reconnaissance reports back and forth to the mother ship about the best eating spots in Ticiaskitchenland. Die, ants, die! I did some google research and came across the perfect ant cocktail, so to speak. I have placed two innocent looking baby food jars with said cocktail along their trail. Happy to report, that since yesterday morning, they've discovered the joys of the aforementioned cocktail, become hopelessly addicted to it, reported its location back to the mother ship, and invited all their cohorts to come and sample its pleasures. This afternoon there are far fewer of my little friends than yesterday. Most of them are going towards the mother ship, to share samples of the cocktail with any of their cohorts who happen to still be living. The most embarrassing part was having to point out the ant infestation to my team of cleaning ladies and direct them not to disrupt the trail. They were suitably horrified, and though I don't speak Spanish, I think I heard something along the lines sof "the most disgusting home maker del mondo." I'm hoping that they are essentially gone by this evening when I get back from picking up my brother at the airport.
On the home front (as opposed to the front lines of the ant war) I slept late this morning and loved it. I could get used to sleeping until 8! After my usual shredded wheat and peach cereal breakfast (in the uninfested part of my kitchen), I went for a 4.5 mile run. The weather today is less humid, so that was nice. I need to catch a shower, fix my hair, do a last minute check on my guest room, and stop by the grocery store before I go to meet my brother. Think I'll fix pan seared scallops with my favorite whole wheat orzo,spinach & tomato side dish for dinner tonight. Maybe the avocado/mango/cilantro salsa for the scallops. Yum. I'm getting hungry!

On the home front (as opposed to the front lines of the ant war) I slept late this morning and loved it. I could get used to sleeping until 8! After my usual shredded wheat and peach cereal breakfast (in the uninfested part of my kitchen), I went for a 4.5 mile run. The weather today is less humid, so that was nice. I need to catch a shower, fix my hair, do a last minute check on my guest room, and stop by the grocery store before I go to meet my brother. Think I'll fix pan seared scallops with my favorite whole wheat orzo,spinach & tomato side dish for dinner tonight. Maybe the avocado/mango/cilantro salsa for the scallops. Yum. I'm getting hungry!



We always have problems with ants in the spring. As hot as it's been, I'm surprised we haven't had more problems this year, but so far so good. Please keep yours in northern Virgina.
ReplyDeleteWe have ants in our kitchen every year. The little ones. None now, but you should share what is in those baby food jars! Every part of your day sounds lovely. (Ants excepted.)
ReplyDeleteI can't get past the part about the team of cleaning ladies. A whole *team*? ::sighs, reminds self jealousy is possibly one of the deadly sins.::
ReplyDelete:)
Glad the non-ant part of your day was so blissful!
Glad you were able to get rid of the ants. Those things can be so annoying! Hope you have a good weekend! :-)
ReplyDeleteANTS - every spring they come in our house & every spring I go to war too. It is a short war, a week at most and they are gone, but I can set my calendar by their return.
ReplyDeleteYES - avocado/mango/cilantro salsa for the scallops.... sounds divine!
Hope those ants are gone for good ...
ReplyDeleteI've been getting up before 6 am because I don't like walking when it's warm (i.e. above 60). I was just thinking today it'd be nice to sleep in until 7. :)
I hate ants! Dinner sounds awesome. Recipe for the orzo?
ReplyDeleteLaughing at Cammy's comment about the team of cleaning ladies.
ReplyDeleteYes, the whole ant thing. I try to live peaceably with them, but it gets irritating after a while.
Your meals always sound like gourmet food!
Okay, folks, I'm working on a recipe page as there have been several recent requests--brownies, orzo, avocado-mango salsa, and ant poison! Be patient as my blogspot techie skills are rather elementary.
ReplyDeleteThe ants are still with us, but their numbers seem greatly reduced. Hoping to report an end to their hostilities and declare a truce tomorrow. Stay tuned.
And Cammy, I use The Maids, a national chain. They're very reasonably priced and always send a team of 4+. They get the whole house done in about 90 minutes. I didn't even think about using a maid until I got very bogged down with work and family about 5 years ago. Somehow (!) I never cancelled the service when I left my job. Don't tell DH! I may switch to every other week if I start to feel overindulged, but I love it, so don't hold your breath.
Perhaps the ants have a pathway into the house. Look outside the room they are coming into and see if any branches or things touch the walls where they can enter, Cut them down. Worked for me :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm stuck on the cleaning ladies whispering under their breath! I bet my mother-in-law says that at my house! I hate bugs of all kinds. All kinds.
ReplyDeleteOn my blog I have an award for you, you are A Blog With Substance:
ReplyDeletehttp://responsibility199.blogspot.com/2010/08/day-114-blog-with-substance.html
I always consider ants a sign of a dirty house too, but I always get them in the Spring here in Paris, and sometimes they linger...
ReplyDeleteIt really doesn't help that my husband finds them natural, and almost charming...
We've agreed to disagree, I buy the traps, he tolerates them. I do try to start with the less toxic options (although there is a very effective spray here called "bio-kill", and "bio" is the word for "organic" so it's "organic-kill" which I think is Marketing Genius!!!).
When they don't go away with the organic stuff, I too turn nuclear on them...
We had ants in our playroom, fortunately, they died before they found the way to the kitchen!
ReplyDeleteNow, a strict "no snacking" rule for our playroom. Yuck!
I remembering living in Hawaii, one thing I did not like was the bugs.
Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith
Hilarious! I'm glad that you have infiltrated the ant army though.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar situation when I came into work 2 weeks ago! I looked down at my (disgusting, 40 year old) carpeting in my office and it kind of seemed like the carpet was moving. Sure enough, there were about forty bajillion ants all over my floor! EW! A few traps and they've moved along to haunt someone else. Thank goodness. They were kind of creepy.
Oh, and housecleaners are the best money value a household can buy. I just got housecleaners about six months ago and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I'd get housecleaners before cable TV any day of the week.
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net