The biggest issue about mangos is how to get at the fruit. The mangos have a large flat oval seed that parallels the shape of the fruit. If you don't know what you're doing, you're likely to get mangled fruit with too much left on the seed and rather ragged pieces. I recently read someone's blog (Diane's?) where she asked about the best kitchen gadgets. A few people commented that it was their mango seed gadget. I bought one last week and used it for the first time tonight. I'm in love. It did a great job and I got so much more usable fruit for my salsa. The Oxo splitter to the left was the one I bought. There may be other brands that are similar, but I like how sturdy Oxo kitchen gadgets are and I'm getting quite a collection of them. I was curious about what would happen if the seed was bigger than the metal cutter part. My seed tonight was slightly bigger. It just cut down over it and there was a tiny bit of seed still attached to the fruit. I cut the fruit in long wedges and had no problem trimming off the little part of the seed that was still attached. This gadget is really a time saver and does something that is almost impossible to do as well by hand.
I used my mango in a mango, avocado, and tomato salsa. I don't really use a recipe, just add 1 chopped mango, 1 diced avocado, some chopped cherry tomatoes, a bit of diced red onion, a generous bunch of chopped cilantro and lots of fresh lime juice. I served this alongside my night-before-WI baked cod fish, whole wheat rotini pasta, and some leftover carrots and peas. Very eye-appealing, very quick, and quite tasty.
Tuesday is always a gym night and I had a good workout. DH and I go together and each has a set routine. It usually takes us about 50 minutes. I do my routine while listening to a book on my ipod. It really makes the time go faster. Before I had the ipod, I often ended up counting the ceiling tiles! Hearing a good book is much better. Right now I'm in the middle of Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear
Tomorrow is my WI. As usual, I can't predict what will happen. I have done well on my eating and on exercising this week and don't expect to gain, but the scale today was nearly the same as last week. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Tell me about your favorite kitchen gadget! I love finding out about new, useful tools.




One of my favorite kitchen gadgets, and I have many, is my liquid measuring cups. They are the kind that you can read from above because of the slant in the cup. No more bending over!
ReplyDeleteI love my cherry pitter. That mango thingie is pretty fascinating. I have been enjoying mangos too this summer. Someone finally showed me how to cut them on each side of the pit. I get most of the fruit off pretty cleanly using this method.
ReplyDeleteWell, I must be honest, mangos are not a favorite of mine. When it is a component of a recipe I am good with it, but the thought of eating just a mango, not an appetizing thought to me. SO, that just means more mangos on the planet for you :-)
ReplyDeleteThat salsa looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite gadget has to be my Magic Bullet blender. I use it to make iced coffee drinks, smoothies, omelets ... While on Atkins, I used to whip up heavy cream into sugar-free chocolate mousse.
Even now that I own one, I'm always getting sucked into that infomercial. I also love my George Foreman grill.
I'm getting one of those mango thingies TODAY. I love mangos, but have just about stopped buying them because preparing them was more trouble than it's worth. No more.....thanks, Tish.
ReplyDeleteMmmmm mangoes. YUM.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what my favorite kitchen gadget is... I do so love an adjustable measuring cup my husband got my for Christmas!
Trish, I've never liked mangoes much, but that salsa has my mouth watering! I'm gonna try it. My fav gadget is my silicone muffin cups. Never stick, work great every time AND no trash. :)
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I have never bought a mango. Only eaten them prepared by someone else. I love them in salsa:) I haven't ventured into avocados either. I think I need to branch out!
ReplyDelete