Tuesday, August 31, 2010

To Market, To Market

but not to buy a fat pig! ;)

I went to the local farmers' market with the children bright and early this morning. Here's what we brought home: Peaches and Tomatoes. My favorites. The peaches are out of this world. They told me that they'll have them through into early November. Last week I bought 9 peaches and they only lasted until Thursday. Let's see how we do with a dozen this week. The basil is from my garden. I wanted to use some in tonight's dinner.  I pick it in the morning and stick it in a glass of water and my kitchen smells wonderful all day. The tall white flowers in the background, just behind the rosemary are chive blossoms.

At the market this morning E was lobbying for a cookie. I set a bad precedent by getting her cookies each of the past two times we went. I tried to talk her out of it by asking her what else she might like instead. Her answer? Mandarin orange sections!  Score! This little cutie is miles ahead of her grandmother in learning to make smart, healthy choices.

Here's the latest Hurricane Earl track. It's worse than yesterday's, having it closer to our destination on Friday. We'll see what happens. We lived in Rhode Island in 1991 when Hurricane Bob came.  It was 19 years ago today. The eye of the storm went right over our house. We were without power for 5 days. The public library where I worked, however was open every single day. Cold showers are not a way of life I would choose, but because we had several hours advance notice, there was no loss of life and it was heartening to see how the community came together. The most memorable sight was looking out our window and seeing a bright blue 8 foot children's plastic pool flying through the air, about 15 feet off the ground, looking for all the world like a well-tossed frisbee.

I wasn't sore at all today from last night's workout.  Yay!  Tonight we'll go to the gym to work out after dinner.  We always go Tuesday and Thursday nights and sometimes add a third strength training session on the weekend.

Today, just to check things out, I counted my calories (using fitday.com). They came to 1300 which is just about right for me.  I also counted my WW points, 24, also good--my allotted 21 plus a few of the 35 weekly extra points I'm supposed to have.  I don't usually count anything, but it's nice to know that my eating is on track. Oh and I bought a neat set of stainless steel measuring spoons at WW the other day.  They measure 1 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1/4 cups. They double as serving spoons and make portion control uber easy. WW sells them at all its locations (you don't have to be a member to buy).  I see that amazon also has them.

What do you do to check on your portion sizes?

8 comments:

  1. Dig those serving spoons! I have a Williams & Sonoma gift card burning a hole in my pocket, I wonder if they sell them?
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peaches and tomatoes (but not together.)

    I periodically do a 'weights and measures' check (I just finished one last week). I have the tendency to underestimate serving sizes, which can lead to too much snacking later in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your market finds look amazing! I missed the Farmer's mkt today due to a dental appointment. The peaches here in CA have been amazing.

    I like those measuring utensils. I will look on Amazon for those. Thanks for sharing about them.

    I use a food scale for weighing things like, protein,yogurt and cereal. It seems more accurate to me than measuring cups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought basil today, with the roots still on, and it smelled fabulous! If I am eating on track, I don't worry about exact portion sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those W.W. measuring spoons are very classy. I have three sets of measuring cups. Very handy for dishing things out. But not too classy.

    That pic of the peaches and tomatoes and basil is gorgeous. The basil reminds me of the dill I just bought at the store. Have you ever made pickles? Got any helpful hints?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the word "lobbying"...gotta steal that one! I wish our farmer's market was early - ours here is 3pm-7pm I think. Somehow starting the day with a market is easier for me than remembering later on in the day.
    Good to read your blog! I'll be coming back!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking produce photo; I am a tomato addict, I admit it.

    Hopoing that hurricane does not cause you any problems other than what a good rain fall would.

    I have an award to honor you with on my blog today:
    http://responsibility199.blogspot.com/2010/09/day-137-happy-101.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those spoon measuring cups are so neat! I may have to get some. :) Hope Earl takes a last-minute detour.. my sister in law is in North Carolina and planning on flying out here at the end of the week. We're hoping she can make it!

    ReplyDelete