Monday, August 2, 2010

Onward and Downward

I'm still in the midst of my re-charging, bachelorette long weekend and, let me say, it's great!  I took DH and B to the plane on Friday morning.  Note--Jay is still home, but he's pretty self contained and very undemanding.  That day our weather turned great (much lower humidity, lower temperatures too).  I did a leisurely shop at Whole Foods, concentrating on their wonderful produce section.  My meals have been wonderful--and delicious.  The best, so far, was pan-seared scallops with a splash of lime, mango-avocado-cilantro salsa and corn on the cob.  I've been able to  avoid former alone-in-the-house pitfalls (such as buying a big bag of lime tortilla chips)--thanks, Patrick (Responsibility 199), for the idea of working for an "A" on my report card--I always was a grade-grubber.  On the exercise front, I biked 14 miles on Friday and I scored an 8 mile run (with a generous sprinkle of walking) on Saturday.  I took yesterday "off."  Who was it that posted over the weekend about the "newbie tendency" to try to work out every single day??  I may be ready to tweak that goal of 7/7 days of workouts in favor of a 6/7 schedule.  I ran an easy 3 this morning and, if the thunderstorms hold off, I may bike this evening, too.  I've gotten about half way through my new book (To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick--really good historic fiction) and plan to hop into bed early-ish again tonight so I can read in bed again.   Tomorrow I get the babies again and I'm ready for them!  We're going to walk to the Farmer's Market and get some tomatoes.  I'm craving great, "real" tomatoes.  Our two plants gave us a good first harvest, but slacked off on production when the weather was so hot last week.

It's hard to believe it's already August.  A new page on the calendar, full of possibility.  This August I'm going to take advantage of all 31 days and move ahead toward my weight loss goal.  Like Karen (Waisting Away), I'm going back to my basic diet plan for a push start.  I use the WW CORE plan (yes, I know, WW doesn't acknowledge the CORE plan anymore, they call it Simply Filling, but I still have the book and the CORE plan is a plan I can use to lose and continue to use for life).  I'm going to re-read the book today and look for any areas  I need to tweak.  I still have 7.2 pounds to lose by September 7th to meet my goal for the Summer Diet Buddies Challenge.  I'm gonna do it.

I am adding one goal to my list this week.  This one is guaranteed to make me look slimmer, younger, and better.  I don't have to change any of my eating habits to accomplish it.  I don't even have to add anything to my exercise routine.  The goal?  I want to work on my posture.  Head up, shoulders back, tummy in.  I always admire people who stand up without slouching.  I practiced in front of the mirror this morning.  I look way better when I stand up straight.  Like a before and after picture.  My goal:  I will leave a note on my bathroom mirror to remind me.  I will use good posture on the walking bits of my runs.  I will walk around my block (1 mile) every other day using good posture.  Maybe I'll throw in a bit of my Wii Yoga, too.


How's your August shaping up?



11 comments:

  1. Seems like everything is in place for you Tish I know you will succeed. And I love you're last goal, posture is definately something I have to work on too, My husband keeps telling me to stand up straight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I forgot to mention that standing up straight adds confidence too, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have horrible posture! I am sitting here slouched, in fact. I had no idea WW had done away with core. I was a points counter in my day. But core is pretty similar to what I am doing. Here's to a great month for us both:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tish you are doing so well on all fronts! Oh yes standing up straight makes us appear thinner, taller and more beautiful. Oooh - lala! I like all of those things. I do think it is easier to stand tall when I have lost weight and am not so "front" heavy if you know what I mean.

    August is going to be a great month. I have some of my own challenges and goals and have every intention of meeting them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, posture is a very good goal for me too. I really hate it when I notice I am slouching. Glad you are having such a good tome. Eight miles--yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that was me on the 6/7 exercise plan! I'm glad you got some benefit from it! I'm even MORE glad you're having a great bachelorette time. You so deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to let you know that I am working on finding the 10k training schedule I am using so I can share it with you! I didn't print it, just jotted notes on a boring yellow post-it..haha So, be patient with me! ;) Have a great week! Stand tall and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I just found your blog. I have just started my journey to better health by creating a blog. My goal for August is just to keep up with the exercise. I found that it is easy to slip. I also enjoy biking.

    We are in this journey together through the blogsphere.Julie from http://julielostandfound.blogspot.com/ nominated me for an award. I am now nominating you. I did not see the Versatile Blogger award on your blog. Here is what I wrote about you:

    Incremental Improvements: http://incrementalimprovements.blogspot.com: Things I'm learning along the road to becoming the woman God made me to be.


    Please go to my blog to find the rules for this award.

    TTFN,
    Michele at
    http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bachelorette weekend sounds very relaxing. Kept waiting for a post describing just how relaxed you really were - finally concluded you were far too relaxed to worry about writing!!

    I think we're all headed for a "back to basics" type of August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you can TOTALLY do it!

    August so far is shaping up to be a much better month than July. Probably because I have a regular training schedule again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like every year they put out a different version of WW! Stick with what works for you! :D

    Let's both kick ass this month! :D

    ReplyDelete