Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weekend Wrap-up

It's hard to believe it's already Sunday night.  Tomorrow in our county the teachers go back to work.  When I was teaching I loved the beginning of school.  Putting new ideas to work.  Meeting the new students.  Introducing the kindergartners to the wonders of the library.  Now, though, that I've not taught for a couple of years, I really am happy not to have to go back tomorrow.  I really love getting to take care of the grand babies a few days a week and I love my free time.  A lot of my time and thought and energy are now devoted to getting myself in shape.  When I taught, I'd usually lose 10 or 15 pounds each summer and gain them back during the school year.  It was hard to find time for me.

I am so impressed with how well those of you who are working outside the home are able to do getting exercise, watching your diet, and coming here for mutual support in blog land.  Kudos.

I woke up sore and achey this morning.  :(  I felt about 100 years old going down the stairs.  It must have been the kettle bells. Things eased up a bit as my muscles warmed up, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to bike tonight.  I decided to give it a try and we had a fabulous ride.  We added about 20 minutes to our usual hour and I wasn't sore at all.  At the far end of our ride, we loop a couple of miles in a beautiful little park.  There was band concert and we could hear the band playing for most of the loop.  It was so nice that we added an extra lap. I'll tackle the kettle bells again tomorrow.  Maybe while the children are napping.

Woman's Guide to CyclingTomorrow we're going to take our bikes into the "bike spa" to get them all tuned up for our weekend trip.  I'm getting excited about the trip and the bike ride(s) we're planning.  I've got to spend some time with the book Lori recommended to me,  A Woman's Guide to Cycling.  If I can overcome the falling, I think that biking is going to be a really good exercise for me.  I love having an alternative to running.  Basically I like choices.  It's all good.  Tennis, running, biking, hiking, strength training, kettle bells, my DVDs, and the Wii tennis and yoga.  Biking and hiking are activities I can do on fairly equal terms with DH, though and that's fun.

Today's picture: With my siblings a year ago.  We got together (from TX, GA, VA and Japan) to take our Dad up to his 70th reunion at West Point.  My sibs all got the skinny gene.  I was feeling fairly trim at just about my current weight.


My eating was right on target today.  Cereal with 1/2 a banana for breakfast.  Cottage cheese with mandarin oranges for lunch.  Snack of almonds and 1/2 oz of dark chocolate.  Grilled scallops, whole wheat orzo, lettuce, and mango avocado salsa for dinner with a WW  strawberry froyo bar for dessert.

Tomorrow I plan to run early and then do the kettle bell workout during nap time.  I'll stop by the store on the way home from my run and pick up some fresh veggies to have with salmon for dinner.

Do you have a plan to keep yourself on track?

9 comments:

  1. Classes start for Mr. B this morning and he is just like you were, much more excited than the college kids whose lives he is certain will never be the same because they were in his class! lol!

    I'm with you - excited that fall is just around the corner and life is returning to normal, albeit a new normal for us. Can't wait to get out on my bike and lace up my hiking boots.

    I'll email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you were able to get in a nice long ride despite feeling initially sore! I need to create a new plan for keeping myself on track... thanks for the reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how the trip goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner sounds amazing :) YUM YUM! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't used the kettlebells, but my experience with swinging dumbbells was eerily similar. It passes. :)

    I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of like that sore muscle feeling because then I know I am working things well! Kind of weird!

    Your food sounds good, glad to know you are enjoying the bike riding. It is good to have options. It keeps us from getting bored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tish -- your bike ride sounds awesome. I'm impressed too with those who have kids and jobs and still have time to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for PBS kids, "Sid the Science Kid" and " Super Why" are the reasons I can run on my elliptical every morning!

    Also, hats' off to working Moms. I did it, but not well. I am so grateful I can stay home with my girls now.
    Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of that cycling book, but I am going to look for it. I am finding cycling to be incredibly addictive for me. Love the fact that you are able to spend a lot of time with those grandbabies!! They are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete