Do you get enough sleep? I never did, until about two years ago. Now I've learned that there's a direct correlation between the ability to lose weight and getting enough sleep. "Enough" is loosely defined as 7-9 hours. I never got that much. I thought I was happy with 5 hours. I was an avowed night owl. Late to rise and late to bed. When I finally, intentionally, started going to bed early (~11 pm) I found I was finally able to diet successfully. Now I almost always get 7 1/2 or 8 hours. It really works. An added benefit is that I have a lot more energy during the day for all that exercise that also helps in the pursuit of weight loss and good health.
New – Oil Free Salad Dressings eBook
3 weeks ago




YAY for you Tish! I truly believe in getting enough sleep. Many years ago I stopped using an alarm clock. Of course, with my 4am rise time on work days, I still have to use one. But that is the only time I use an alarm clock. And if I am disciplined and go to bed at a decent hour, there is no need for one.
ReplyDeleteAs a butter lover, I Love the sticks of nutter to illustrate pounds off!! Good for you!!
ReplyDeleteI also need 7-8 hours a might. Most nights I do; but, I can be wakeful processing events of ghe day or thinking things through. Not enough sleep triggers my migraines, so I have to be careful. Michele
Congrats on the loss!
ReplyDeleteSo what you're saying is I need a new job that doesn't involve working until midnight? Or I need to go right home and hit the hay instead of spending a couple of hours online?
Hard habits to break ...
Yaay for two more pounds gone!
ReplyDeleteI discovered that sleep-weight loss correlation about three years ago, at about the same time I finally started losing weight successfully. Even now, I've noticed that my unplanned snacky times are almost always an indication that I'm overly tired. Amazing to think that one of the key elements of weight management is going to bed. I like it! :)
Good for you! I never feel like I get enough sleep. I sleep enough hours... but I have such unrestful dreams all the time that I often wake up tired. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the loss!
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! I went to bed last night wondering about your weigh in since we weigh the same day. Way to kick the scale's butt!
ReplyDeleteSometimes my husband feels my chest when I am sleeping just to make sure I am alive. I sleep like the dead - usually am asleep within 5 minutes of laying down - and I don't move. I get about 8 1/2 hours of sleep on a weekday and about 10-11 on the weekends.
ReplyDeleteAnd my daughter has the same sleeping abilities as me. My husband is lucky to get 5 hours :(
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ Good job on the sleeping. My bedtime is 11:30, but I give myself 20 minutes to fall asleep while doing my crossword puzzle. When I can't keep my eyes open, the light goes off.
ReplyDeleteGirlfriend, way to go!!!!!! That is a great loss! 2 lbs closer to goal. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I was good at getting a good amount of sleep. I am a night owl and then once I go to bed I have so many thoughts running through my head it takes a while to fall asleep.
Way to Go Tish, you are well on your way!
ReplyDeleteI need to get more sleep, I tell myself that everyday ;-)
This is a big key! I've been trying lately, with a consistent bedtime and wakeup time, and paying attention to sleep cycles. Some days I'll wake up easily and others not so much, so I'm trying to time the good ones. 90 minutes is supposedly the norm for a full cycle (6 hours, 7.5, 9, etc.) I'm finding mine is about 95 minutes.
ReplyDelete